“Should be closed for good” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belair Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Belair Hotel
Ranked #163 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Kansas City, Missouri
“Should be closed for good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

I checked in for a week's stay, and quickly discovered that the room I was staying in was infested with bedbugs. The manager would not even give me a new room. I ended up trying to sleep in the lobby, and of course anything I had planned for my trip had to be canceled. It was the worst travel experience of my lifetime. What disturbed me more was that I tried to contact the city of Chicago housing offices to report the situation, and no one seemed to want to be involved.
Down the hall from my room a group of drunks appeared to be having a 24 hour party with the door open. The title "Hotel" is misleading... This is a dead-end slum rooming house in a great location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank AlbutWeiser

Ladybug041
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

The price of the rooms at the Belair Hotel gives you some idea of what you will get. I was surprised that the rooms were in such good shape. The hotel is inexpensive and in a very active part of the city. The businesses and entertainment in the area are exceptional. There is good transportation all around the city from the hotel. Some of the staff could use lessons on professional courtesy. All in all I had a very good experience at the hotel. My room attendant Anne was exceptional! If I owned this business I would give her a raise. All in all for the money that I paid - I got good service.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Ladybug041
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

I am presently a tenant and am presently witnessing a lack of professionalism from the Manager (Dovie Williams) as well as the Owner ( Mr. Windmiller). I had a drug addicted alcoholic knock on my door in the middle of the night. I tried to communicate my problem to the owner by leaving a letter in his box. He did not respond. When I called him he said that he did want to deal with me and hang the phone in my face.
**This place is a dump. The water for the entire building is turn off at least once a week patch up their archaic plumbing.
**The water isnt good enough to brush your teeth with!
**They charge $87 a night but there is no TV in the rooms.(They will rent you one though.)
**There is no cable.
**Don't use the Hotel room phones because clerks listen to your phone calls.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank themosthated

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

sewanee, tn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

I moved to this hotel, after having a bad experience with a local hostel. My husband was a patient at St. Joseph's Hospital, and the Belair is only about 2 blocks away. It's an old hotel, but I found it to be comfortable and clean. I stayed in one of their overnight rooms, which had double bed, air conditioning, TV, and phone. These rent for $75/night. They also have rooms on a weekly or monthly basis, but these rooms lack TV and air conditioning. At $170-213/ week, they are a good deal, if you bring a fan. I think you can also pay a little extra for a fridge and microwave.

The staff at the Belair were really nice, and the location, right next to Lincoln Park, was excellent.

• Liked — Location, price, friendly staff
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank tickbush
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2007

I only stayed there because the other short term choices did not have private baths. The best I can say about the Belair is that the staff was friendly and helpful. For starters, you have to provide your own TV. If you want reception you have to order your own cable. The building is old and stinks of mildew and mold. Under the bathroom sink the wall was full of black mold. They gave me a room two floors above a next door bar that on weekends had music blaring. For $188 a week it was not worth it.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank airsam
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2007

If you are on drugs or crazy you will think this place is great but if you are sane you will hate it. I have never been in such a ran down, old, hot, dirty stanky, unsafe place in all of my life. Everything is old, musty and on the brink of falling apart. I was afraid I would catch lice the rooms were so dirty. Here's my warning to you---DO NOT stay at this place!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank lisa_2020x
Mahatma city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2007

It was a very nice place, I would reccomend it to anybody. Lots of friendly faces . I was visiting Chicago from Pakistan . Only problem I had was men knocking on the door throughout the night.
Lots of fine food places located nearby. I found my cousin Raj working in the subway nearby. Very clean beds and it made my vacation one of the best ever. Lots of fun bars not to far away either, I visited the Manhole club and stopped by the Steamworks,oh boy I will never forget that night.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Neighbors in next room
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business