“This place is a total stinky old overpriced DUMP!”
Review of Belair Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Belair Hotel
Ranked #166 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
chicago
“This place is a total stinky old overpriced DUMP!”
Reviewed 1 August 2007

If you are on drugs or crazy you will think this place is great but if you are sane you will hate it. I have never been in such a ran down, old, hot, dirty stanky, unsafe place in all of my life. Everything is old, musty and on the brink of falling apart. I was afraid I would catch lice the rooms were so dirty. Here's my warning to you---DO NOT stay at this place!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank lisa_2020x

Mahatma city
Reviewed 1 June 2007

It was a very nice place, I would reccomend it to anybody. Lots of friendly faces . I was visiting Chicago from Pakistan . Only problem I had was men knocking on the door throughout the night.
Lots of fine food places located nearby. I found my cousin Raj working in the subway nearby. Very clean beds and it made my vacation one of the best ever. Lots of fun bars not to far away either, I visited the Manhole club and stopped by the Steamworks,oh boy I will never forget that night.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Neighbors in next room
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank KenPashaSadicki
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 19 March 2007

My three friends and I stayed at the Belair during the weekend of Pridefest (June 2006). We did not book a room before we arrived, but happened to find 2 available rooms here, at a much better price than the Days Inn down the street. The ladies behind the desk chatted with us and were very patient with my worn out credit card. Aside from being required to rent 2 rooms for the 4 of us (we absolutely could not have more than 2 people per room) the location was excellent. The parade went right in front of the building on W. Diversey, and the religious protesters were right across the street, making it more interesting. Close to gay bars on Halsted, Duffy's bar is right next door, Chipmunks restaurant (pizza, gyros), Walgreens, liquor store is very close (cheap beer, expensive cigarrettes), and 5 minute walk from Subway restaurant and transit lines. The rooms were clean and all of the fixtures worked. They were nothing special- just a bed, a chair, dresser, TV, and bathroom with bath/shower. They weren't too small and each has own bathroom. No bugs. Nothing was stolen from the room. All in all a good experience. We are planning to stay the Belair once again when we attend pride fest 2007.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — 2 person per room limit
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank undrgrndcartoon
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 October 2006

Since I chose this hotel partly based on a review I saw here, I feel obligated to add a review of my own.
Needing a place to stay while I waited for a job interview, I had intended to stay here for several weeks. I splurged on the 2-room suite, with refrigerator and microwave, since I could then save some money on food. On the second day of my stay, the refrigerator door came off. Apparently, it was attached only by the top hinge, the bottom one being already off. When I reported this to the desk clerk, I was told it would be repaired. The next day, the manager accused me of vandalism and threatened to make me pay for the repairs. No repairs were made and when I checked out at the end of the week, I was again verbally abused by the manager and officially 'banned' from the premises.
The rest of the staff - desk and housekeeping - are extremely courteous and professional. But the manager seems to have the policy 'you break it, you buy it.' So if you choose to stay here, be really, really careful

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — manager
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank Hypatia2

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Reviewed 7 October 2004

I actually have fond memories of the Belair Hotel. It was the 1st place I stayed at when I moved to Chgo 10 years ago. I didn't know a soul, I was low in funds, and my apt wasn't ready to move into. I was new to Chgo at the time, so I was a little frightened by the fast paced people. The residents though, turned out to be very nice people--a little avant gard and off the wall, but totally harmless. The ladies that worked behind the counter were very friendly, and treated me like they were my aunts.The hotel sort of had the feel of a dorm-like setting at an art school in New York's Village. Now that I'm considering moving back to Chgo, I think The Belair will once again be where I'll start out. It is within walking distance of pubs, restaurants, Walgreens, Lenscrafters, several bus stops, parks, a small supermarket, and STARBUCKS!!! As you walk down Diversey and turn onto Belmont, there are little shops and stores all along both sides of the street. There's just tons to do.Video stores and food delivery places make The Belair a cozy stay. There's nothing fancy here, but you will be safe and among people who will try to help you. I am starting over (again), and should I pick Chgo to come back to, I hope The Belair will welcome me back. Familiar hospitality is good ground to stand on.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 May 2004

This place just barely gets a rating of 2. Based on the reviews above (Oct 16, 2002 + Oct 17, 2003) I went to view the available rooms at the Belair. Boy was I disappointed even though I consider my standards quite modest. They give you a key and you go up and check out the room(s) M-F 12-8 Sa 9-8. The room I saw was old and while it seemed somewhat clean it just had an overall look of dingy, dingy, dingy. It was one of the majority of rooms that are rented by the week/month. They have some few other rooms that rent by the night and possibly might be different. The room rate was $159/wk. At $259-299/wk the Chicago area Ext Stay America properties seem to me to have a vastly better bang per buck ratio. They do cost more and you need a car unless you stay at Ext Stay O'Hare and are willing to deal with a somewhat painful bus to CTA link to get you downtown.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 October 2003

My boyfriend used to live at this hotel and I was there often.It's a fairly nice place if all the other hotel's are booked. It's really clean and quiet.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member