“Absolutely Fabulous!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas
“Absolutely Fabulous!”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

This hotel far and away exceeded my expectations. You should know I am very hard to please so this is a royal endorsement. I booked a King spa room (1802) directly through the hotel and got a significantly better rate than Priceline. I got a corner room with floor to ceiling windows all the way around ….the views were nothing short of spectacular!!!! I even had a view of the lake. It was tastefully decorated in bright but soothing colors; It was modern without being tacky. The room was spotless without a speck of dust anywhere and the bathroom was literally surgical clean…I was blown away. It had a massive deep soaking tub with a separate shower overlooking the Chicago Theater. There was more than enough room in this tub for two people to soak up to your necks and we definitely took advantage of it. I loved the tub so much I want one for my house. This hotel thought of everything, we even found a lovers kit under the flat screen tv by the mini bar with lube and condoms in it. Really???? I just couldn’t believe it. My kind bed was divine with super luxurious linens and lots of feather pillows…..just amazing. When I made the reservation I requested two robes that were delivered as soon as I got in my room.
Later I called down to room service because I couldn’t find the ice machine and to get some cream for my drink. They told me where the ice machine was but offered to just bring me a bucket so I didn’t have to leave my room again…… service, wow!!

I read another review about the train noise. I was on the 18th floor and the train was not a problem. You can hear it but it wasn’t any louder than the wind….you are downtown Chicago so no matter where you stay you will hear some street noise.

At around 11:30 pm we went up to the Roof top lounge, it turns into an ubber nightclub full of “the young beautiful people” crowd. Dress to impress because you have to get past a doorman who was turning people away . They were nice enough not to charge us a cover because we were guest in the hotel but it was standing room only so we didn’t say very long. Next time I will go to the Roof for happy hour instead.
I will stay at the Wit again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WellTraveledLady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We have stayed at the Wit twice in a Spa King room. The corner rooms in this category are awesome, especially if you can get a deal for around $200. Love the State & Lake restaurant!! And the spa is great- especially the bath cocktails that you can order up to your room. The Wit is by far better than the two W Hotels in this city. The W on Lakeshore is tired and passe, and the City Center W has extreeeemely small rooms.

Room Tip: A spa king room on the corner, high flr.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashnwrig
miami, fl.
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Details. it`s the small details that separate an average hotel from a great one. And the Wit delivered. My second time in Chicago, and my wife`s first time for her birthday. Small touches, a bottle of bubbly and a nice card for her birthday upon arrival, Nice! Location/ try to find a better one in Chicago. O`hare to the hotel on the Blue line, right there. Hotel to wrigley on the red line, right there again. Roof top lounge, happening. Stay there again? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 January 2015
Dear jm7701,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Don't misunderstand the title of my review. I think this is a fantastic hotel for your stay in Chicago. But it has the feel of a "W" but lacks some of the finer details that makes the "W" the "W."

We drove in from the burbs, arrived at the hotel and valeted or car for $45 a night. Which by Chicago standards is actually no a bad price. Not great, but not terrible. The lobby was small but clean, upbeat with clean-line modern decor. The staff greeted us with smiles and a "can do" attitude. The overall staff appeared to be young and ready to serve it's guests. Which quite honestly is not always the case in Chicago (and I'm a 41yr Chgo native).
Once we checked in to our upgraded 2 room suite on the 25th floor, we headed up on one of 6 speedy elevators. I would recommend asking for a "higher floor" when checking in. The hotel is situated just inside the NE end of the "L" loop and has the potential for being noisy at lower floors.
Our room was clean, spacious and with the same clean line modern decor. Two 55" Flat panels in both rooms, a small kitchenette, large bath with soaker tub and stand up shower (a finer detail upgrade would be a large Rain-can showerhead). The views from the State Street side are not great. Rooms that face east are sure to feature a view of the lake or Millennium Park. My overall review of the room was very good. Spacious, comfortable bed, upscale accoutrements, quiet.
The Roof Bar is definitely a draw for this hotel. Both roof top decks have fabulous views with a vibrant night life scene. Upgrade opportunity: Glass drink ware instead of plastic. Kind of juvenile in my opinion, but maybe I'm just old.
Finally, the location of this hotel is superb! You are on State across the street from the Chicago Theatre and Channel 7 street side studio. You have the best of both worlds by being situated at the North end of the loop close to river taxis, Millennium Park, Michigan Ave, Chicago Theatre, State Street Shopping and a short taxi to any of the Museums and Water Tower. Not to mention the endless cuisine choices right out your door step. Great location!!
My overall opinion is Great hotel, great location, great staff, great value. Don't pass this one up if you get the chance.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Roboverde
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
We certainly appreciate the continued positive critiques of theWit experience. Comparisons aside, our team is always anxious to provide an exceptional experience for all guests that is comfortable, enjoyable, unpretentious, and yes- a good value.

The perfect location, restaurants and lounges at theWit, Spa@theWit and SCREEN (movie screening room) add to the unique flavor that guests continue to enjoy and highlight.

Our team certainly appreciates all the feedback.

-Mark Shouger
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Of my approx 200 nights in a hotel last year the Wit remains one of my favorite hotels in the world
No it’s not the most luxurious or the absolute best experience imaginable. However it is about an exceptional experience in where Hilton finally gets some cool factor! Shaking off much of its once stodgy image.

What can be said about the Wit that hasn’t already passionately be said by others?
It is part W meets Andaz perhaps somewhere in the middle. It’s a Doubletree brand but probably more an experiment at this point with the brand name as it’s too special of property to really be considered a Doubletree. The Wit is more than just an exceptional unique boutique hotel that will certainly not appeal to all guests. It is so popular its can get crowded especially on weekends. Yet for many of us that’s part of the excitement being where everybody wants to be. Perhaps for some pure torture.
But that’s the whole point the Wit isn’t for everybody nor should it try to be!

However what most guests might not realize is the Wit is the future of all hotels going forward.It’s a game changer of what’s now and what’s next. The prototype of what hotels want to be when they grow up for the next generation. It’s the start of great out of the box thinking that may have no boundaries.

The Wit has to its credit

• Enormously comfortable beds pillow top style)subjective
• LED Lighting on dimmers for task lighting & various function and creating a romantic ambiance for those so inclined
• Many heartfelt inspired team members
• Wonderful playful welcome amenities in room that appeal playfully even to jaded guests
• Incredible in house made chocolates that compare with some of the best in France
• Inspired Management under the leadership of Mark Shouger
• High caliber Door men (one in particular who remembered my name months later on my second short stay of 4 nights(folks you could be comfortable having a beer with)
They are incredibly professional on a rainy day checking me into my room I was offered a huge Wit umbrella for use during my stay it was very much appreciated!
• Home to the Roof Night Club one of the top hot spots in Chicago (try Monday nights for a less frenetic experience that’s truly civilized with a date or go on the weekend when its jam packed!
• A place where attractive folks go to stay and older folks go to feel young and cool
• The legendary Doubletree cookie (I admit to being a fan of this brilliant cookie)
• Participation in the Hilton HHonors program for elite recognition and point redemption
• Kitchen Aid refrigerators in the Jr suites
• Fun whimsical décor
• Architect standard fixtures throughout guest rooms and suites not typically found
• A hotel meets contemporary residential feel

The Hotel understands the concerns that some may have with the train proximity(self included) the in house team members (front office included)have always done everything possible to accommodate based on availability .
Over the years I have learned as a premium traveler that lifestyle hotels will tend to have quirks. The Wit is no exceptionWhat some see as different and breaking tradition others see as exciting .In a nut shell just like with W Hotels and Andaz not everyone will capture the magic here and instead choose to pick on the areas of needed improvement of which there is a 10 to 15 per cent factor.

Having said that the positive way overshadows the negative and the 90% score here on Trip Advisor easily demonstrates its percentage of highly satisfied customers
Having just written a terribly negative review on another hotel it is an honor and pleasure to sing the praises of the Wit and its passionate management Mr.Shouger who personally responds to guest comments. In house most of the team in house goes even further with numerous random acts of kindness. It was the responding to those reviews that brought me to the hotel as a customer. I applaud this hotels dedication to listening and responding to their customers praise as well as their concerns.

The Hilton folks couldn’t have picked a more fantastic visionary manager for a great new hotel concept. It was one of those rare moments in all my years of travel where I picked up the phone after check out and thanked them for letting me be a guest in their hotel. I left inspired refreshed in good spirits wanting to come back again in the future even though I have a number of other luxury favorites in the Chicago area
In closing the Wit was a game changer for me personally and it made me want to be a Hilton customer all over again. If this is what we can expect from Hilton and the brand I def want to be their customer.

I can only hope there are many more of these properties to look forward to in other cities and rumors are there will be. It’s no longer the Doubletree your mom and dad stayed in its Doubletree gets totally/really cool!!! Love it or hate it don’t miss the experience!~
Congratulations to all at the Wit well done!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Dear frequentstaydude,

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Michigan
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Perfect hotel in loop. Close to park, river, business, theaters.

Very nice stay made even better by a caring staff. Every person said hi. Check in/out was quick and easy. All lobby staff were very helpful when asked (and even volunteered to help when not asked). Best part was when I had a very loud group of people in room next door at 3am, hotel staff came up and quieted them within 3 minutes of my call to the front desk. Very professional and showed they valued me.

Rooms are excellent. Good size, contemporary, clean. Nice views. Comfortable bed with lots of pillows. Besides the noisy neighbor at 3am next door, I found the hotel very quiet from hallway and street noisy. Something you don't find in many city hotels.

Room Tip: End of hall, away from elevator.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Minnesota
Reviewed 16 May 2011

theWit was simply great. We were welcomed by the front desk, were immediately given an upgraded room even before check-in time. The room was fantastic. The concierge provided excellent sightseeing and dining advice. The hotel is very modern and very clean and comfortable. A great stay. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple