“THEE Best Hotel I have stayed at!”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #39 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Wit for a combination work and pleasure trip along with my 21 year old daughter. Your stay will start immediately as soon as you get out of your cab where you will promptly be greeted by the abundant staff who are outside and inside the lobby. Check in was fast and efficient. We were given vouchers for a free breakfast. The elevator is secure and will only work if you swipe your room card. There was some kind of wonderful aroma in the lobby and each person is given a huge cookie upon arrival. I had rented a jr. spa suite which looked wonderful online, but when you walk in the door...wow. The room is huge and the decorating is amazing. The living room and bedroom area are separated by a dresser/desk in the middle of the room with two 42 inch TV's back to back. The outside wall of the hotel is entirely glass. The bathroom is the size of a small bedroom with a glassed in shower and a really deep spa tub big enough for 2. Robes and luxury towels etc. were provided. The kitchen was amazing as well. There were plates, cups, silverware, knives, wine glasses, etc. The stainless steel refrigerator was considerably bigger than the average mini-frig in a hotel and there was also a quality microwave.. There is a fully stocked mini-bar if you wanted to purchase liquor, other beverages and snacks.
We were unfamiliar with Chicago so used the concierge service in the lobby frequently. There were several staff available at all times so we never waited. They have excellent suggestions and directions: were friendly with a great sense of humor. The location of the hotel is right in the middle of everything with beautiful city and river views. We were there during the NATO conference so there was a lot of action on the street. On one occasion when we were outside of the hotel we ended up talking with who ended up being the general manager, Mark Shouger, of the hotel. When we returned to the room later in the evening, there was a handwritten note signed by the manager and some delicious desserts waiting for us!. I know some have complained about the charges for internet, but internet is free on the second floor where there were an abundance of chairs and tables for our use. On a couple of occasions, for example when I had trouble resetting the safe in the room, someone was literally there to help 2 minutes later.

We did visit the bar on the top floor which has become THE place to be for the nightclub scene. Half of it has a retractable roof and it is simply beautiful! The cover charge is waived for guests.
All in all, I felt completely pampered then entire time I was there and will stay there again the next time I go to Chicago. Could not have been better!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rebecca37
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Humbling and gratifying that overall guest experiences at theWit are so well received. As usual for us, we have already shared kind words with the team in all areas.

We look forward to delighting guests during repeat visits and welcoming new "family" throughout the years!

-Mark Shouger

Write a ReviewReviews (2,670)

Reviewed 23 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night. I had called the hotel a few days before arrival to see if they could hold our bags at the hotel since check-in wasn't until afternoon, and she said we'd probably be able to check in instead of checking our bags at the front desk, even though we were planning to get to the city in the morning. When we went to see about checking in early, the staff was extremely helpful and they actually had a clean room ready for us to check in at 10:30am! The room had nice views (Chicago River). The hotel had a concierge that was eager to help. Room was super clean, bed was comfy.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

I had a fantastic view from my corner room and it was beautiful. Like others I was disappointed to pay for wifi. I'd rather have had a paper as something I choose to have than something that they give you and charge you for as a default. The restaurant was great, great food, beer and breakfast was lovely.

Unfortunately, I hardly slept all week due to the train station being directky below my room. I had unpacked and was staying for a week so felt it was too much hassle to ask to be moved.

They seemed to always have a lot of staff hanging around the lobby, but service was good. It was very annoying that when we extended our stay (I was with 6 others) each of us was locked out of our room the day we were originally due to depart at 7am.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Thank you for your compliments and critique. Good points, all!

We will share your kudos with our Chef and restaurant team.

Additionally, we will share your valid perspectives with our guest services team.

As mentioned, rooms and suites do have various vantage points and we typically are able to meet most such requests (sites, sounds, proximity).

Best regards,

Mark Shouger

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great location, very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are large. Make sure to ask for upper floor corner room, fantastic views!! Roof is great place for drinks! One block from the river. Lots of restaurants near by. Walk to Millennium Park and see the cloud gate!! Starbucks is across the street. Must pay for internet in rooms :(, free in lobby.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1601, great view of Lake Michigan, River and city!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

The team, here, relishes in the great comments shared and they inspire all to continue to offer excellence in service.

Please note that internet access is complimentary in public spaces at theWit, and in-room for those HHonors members (yes theWit is in the Hilton Family as a Doubletree by Hilton property) on the upper tiers.

Thank you!

-Mark Shouger

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Just returned from our second stay at theWit! Once again, we were quite satisfied. We spent a few nights last year here and enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to stay here again. The rooms are ultra modern. This time we stayed in a King spa room. The only recommendation I would have is that if you're staying in a spa room maybe you'd enjoy robes? The staff at theWit is amazing! The concierge even got us into a restaurant for dinner at our preferred time when both opentable and a phone call to the restaurant by us didn't do the trick. We also enjoyed the Roof bar on the 27th floor. We may not be in our 20's but just the people watching alone is worth the trip. Being a hotel guest, the cover charge is waived.

Thanks again to the staff at theWit for another fun stay!

Room Tip: Don't think there's a bad room in the hotel!
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The rooms are well appointed and I like that there are many outlets for recharging. However, I never like to pay for wi-fi and this place charges for each device you want to connect. I think it's outrageous to spend $12/day and not be able to connect a computer and ipad if you need to in your room. I don't want to go to the lobby to do my business. Be warned

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank sspc
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here last summer and really enjoyed the hotel. Our room was very large with floo to ceiling windows with great views. The rooftop bar was noisy and fun, and great for people watching. Great location, close to the train, and walking distance to a lot of great restaurants. Valet parking was a little overpriced, but not any higher than other downtown hotels. Overall, we enjoyed it and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple