“Good location”

Ranked #34 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good location”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This property is independent and not managed by double tree or Hilton hotels worldwide and goes by the name 'the wit hotel'. But it does have to meet the high standards of double tree and they do. To my understanding that they use the double tree name merely for marketing and reservations on double tree and the Hilton system. You will still get hhonors points. This property is in an excellent location. Is it very near and walking distance to the theatre and the entrance to the train system, which they call the 'L' is right outside the door. The train system is very good and clean with no graffiti. Thought if you are flying into any of the airports and have big luggage or more than 1, I would not recommend using the train system as there are no stairs at the station near the hotel. If you have 1 that is light, I would then recommend the system. From o'hare the 1 station is 3 blocks away or you can transfer to the loop. From midway no transfer needed and stops right next to the hotel. For touring anywhere in Chicago, I highly recommend using the train. Cost is $2.25 for single rides and they do have day passes. The only negative to this property is the train is next to it so you will hear the train run. The area was a safe area, though there were only a few homeless around the area and didn't bother anyone. Very safe to walk in the evening. Otherwise the property was very clean, rooms were good size, and the staff was extremely helpful. They did to meet meet the standards of a double tree. Late at night the hotel restaurant on the roof, which they call roof restaurant is somewhat a night club with music playing throughout. There are other restaurants within waking distance. If you ask the front desk they may be able to offer you a free appetiser to a restaurant. They have me one to an Irish pub which was behind the hotel which has good food. I did not have a chance to experience there spa, but have been told that they have excellent service. The property does not have a pool. The property does have internet service, but there is a fee to use it and the price is based on speed. As far as security, you can not get to your floor without your key card. If I were to return to the area again, I would definitely consider this property.

• Stayed July 2014
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Mr. Ezmail,

Thank you for your thorough review of theWit Hotel Chicago! We are very fortunate to have such a great location for our guests to enjoy the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back to theWit on your next trip to Chicago. Have a wonderful day!

theWit Guest Relations Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Full disclosure--this wasn't my choice, I was at theWit for a conference. But it couldn't have been better. The rooms are large and comfortable with great HD tv. The bathrooms have some quirky, modernist features but work well enough.

The hotel "gym" is the usual small room with a couple of treadmills and some weights. theWit doesn't have it's own pool but you can ask to use the pool at the Hilton Palmer House, 3 blocks away, which is just big enough for lap swimming.

The food was over the top--if it had been a society wedding the lunches and break snacks could not have been more delicious and varied. And though we mostly ignored the staff because we were in meetings, they treated us with courtesy, attention and anticipation.

Room Tip: The "El" train runs right past and is noisy. Beg for a room on the highest possible floor...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mr. David R,

Thank you for your kind feedback of theWit Hotel Chicago! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay while visiting.

Our team strives to deliver amazing customer service and experiences. I am sorry to hear that your meetings kept you from utilizing our amazing services. We hope to see you back for a future visit so that you can get the full Wit experience. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Prior to going visiting my home Chicago after 3 years of being away, I was willing to pay any amount for a great experiance and an amzaing hotel. Upon arrival, the valet was excellent and very courteous. When I entered the hotel, the service the from the front desk was average. At the time, the omputer had malfunctioned and several people were waiting for room placement. I waited about 20 minutes for a room. The room and bathroom were very clean, minus the stain on the comforter. We stayed on the 11th floor and had a very good view of the city. Housekeeping was great. The man who delivered my luggage was the most courteous during the entire experiance,he apologized for the inconveniance at the front desk, which the front desk never did and was very polite. The roof top bar provides an amazing view, great bartenders, and amazing food. It's great for lunch or dinner, but terrible for clubing and dancing. After 8p or 830p the bar turns into a club, with no places to sit unless you have purchased RSVP, which is sky high in price. You would be better off eating dinner and hitting one of the near by cubs. The location is excellent. Overall, the hotel was average for customer service and room for the price. You are really paying for the location.

Room Tip: Request the highest floor available for the room type and price. The higher the room the better the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good morning, Ms. Tewana P,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at theWit Hotel Chicago! We are fortunate to have such a great location for our guests to explore the city. I am glad that you were able to stay with us during your homecoming stay.

I sincerely apologize for the delays at check-in. I am glad to hear that our Bellman was so gracious and accommodating regarding the situation. We will look into the process to make it more efficient.

We look forward to welcoming you back to theWit on your next trip home. Have a wonderful day!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at many hotels in Chicago and decided to try a new one this time for a business meeting even though it meant a 15 minute walk each morning. Overall, I really liked this hotel. The staff was very attentive at the door, concierge, and front desk. The room was modern and well-appointed. I was given an upgrade to a high room on the 23rd floor which had a kitchenette. This had a fridge, toaster, microwave, and extra sink. The bed was comfy and the internet worked great, although they asked you to pay for higher speeds.

The Lake and State Restaurant off the lobby was great. When I checked in, my room wasn't ready (it was before noon), so I had lunch and waited in the restaurant. The staff, got my room keys and brought them to me there. That was nice.

In the evenings, there tend to be many people waiting for the Roof nightclub. I decided to check it out and was pleased that there is no cover for hotel guests and they were incredibly nice. The Roof is well worth seeing. If you are going to party, this is a great place and nice to just go downstairs when ready.

I used their business center which was excellent. I snooped around on the floor and found a fully loaded luxury movie theater that looked to sit about 30-40 people. I'm not sure when they use it, but it looked cool.

The location is great. I'm glad my wife wasn't there because there is a ton of shopping on the street (State Street) and it is not a long walk to Michigan Avenue. This is in the Theater District with half a dozen theaters just around the block. I got last minute tickets to a musical for $20 which was great. The L Train and subways are right outside the doors.

The downsides were few, but my biggest complaint was that even up on the 23rd floor I could sometimes hear the L Train. I think they have noise cancellation speakers in the hallways and it certainly wasn't a problem, but just occasionally noticeable. The lobby is small and often feels crowded.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear DrTom234,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at theWit Hotel Chicago! I am glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience while visiting. Our team takes pride in delivering fantastic guest service and it looks like we succeeded for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to theWit on your next visit to Chicago. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Pros:
1. Location - close to everything in downtown, great restaurants and entertainment within a couple of blocks
2. Room - Comfortable room, comfortable bed, very shallow sink in the bathroom..
3. Rooftop restaurant - Nice, but crowded

Cons:
1. Expected better for the price

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear liketravel101010,

Thank you for your recent review of theWit Hotel Chicago! We are glad that you were able to enjoy the city from our convenient location. We are fortunate to be so centrally placed to the best attractions in Chicago.

We look forward to welcoming you back to theWit on your next visit to Chicago. Have a fantastic afternoon!

New Mexico
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here at the last minute, and the location and service were outstanding! The room and property, in general, were comfortable and inviting. Great experience. Definitely a higher end property with a very inviting atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Ms. ABC_Casias,

Thank you for your glowing review of theWit Hotel Chicago! Our team is dedicated to delivering fantastic service to our guests and it looks like we succeeded in sharing this experience with you.

We look forward to seeing you at theWit on your next trip to Chicago. Have a wonderful day!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Arrived to find incorrect rooms arrangement-chldrn Flr9-parents Flr24 not connecting. Next day mngmnt had excellent connecting rms. Staff was excellent and undrstndg of our families needs. Very accommodating entire stay. Excellent rooms service and hotel restaurants. Would stay at TheWit next trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear AM H,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay at theWit Hotel Chicago! We are glad that we were able to solve the incorrect room assignment to your satisfaction.

We strive to find ways to please our guests and it looks like our team did a great job with your family. Thank you for sharing your experience.

We look forward to seeing you back at theWit during your next visit to Chicago. Have a wonderful day!