“The Wit Chicago”

GreenLeadersBronze level
West Chesterfield, New Hampshire
“The Wit Chicago”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We just returned from our stay at the Wit. We went to Chicago to get married. When we arrived a plate of chocolate covered strawberries were delivered compliments of the hotel along with a nice note. The hotel is perfectly located to enjoy the city. Restaurants, transportation, and shopping is very close. Every staff person we encountered was happy, helpful and would do what ever they could to make our trip better. From the moment we arrived everyone was awesome. The room itself was very nice, very clean. Great views, even from our bathroom. Very comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Everything you could need was there. The concierge was helpful in finding a car for the wedding party at the last minute. We spent an evening at the The Roof. Our waitress was great. Good views there. Overall, I would stay there again in a flash. Thanks to everyone for making us feel special on our Wedding day!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have awesome views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Ms. AmyThomasIndiana,

Congratulations on your recent wedding! We are delighted that you chose to visit us during your special trip.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the property and our team. We look forward to seeing you on your next Chicago adventure.

Have a wonderful day!

theWit Guest Relations Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hartford, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed for one night on business and was extremely pleased. Staff were very friendly at check in and my room was clean and very quiet. I had a lovely view of the city and the lake. Walking distance to shopping on Michigan avenue and the lakeshore jogging path. I came via train and was happy that the hotel was also walking distance from union station. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear ccpeters,

Thank you for your review of theWit Hotel Chicago! We are fortunate to have such a prime location for our guest to explore and enjoy the city. I am pleased that you found our team so friendly during your visit.

We look forward to seeing you back at theWit during your next Chicago adventure. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel was booked as a birthday surprise for one of my best friends for four of us to all stay and celebrate his birthday in the city. I had heard great things about the rooftop bar and I was excited to go. I actually never made it up to the rooftop bar because of the wristband rule. We had some others who were celebrating with us who were not staying at the hotel and we found out that we all needed wristbands to go up to the rooftop, so that was a bust. I am sad to say that I missed out on it. All of the people I was celebrating with are all Chicagoland inhabitants, but I am from out of state, so I was disappointed to go all that way and not be able to enjoy the rooftop with everyone.
The room was spacious and the view was nice. However, when we got into the room there was the smell of old food close to the mini refrigerator. Turns out there was an old deep dish pizza box left inside of the fridge and it desperately needed to be cleaned out. It smelled pretty fowl. I believe the friend that booked the room alerted the staff about the inconvenience, but I am not sure if they adjusted his bill or anything for it. I certainly hope so.

It was between 10-10:30 pm when we were all getting ready to go out. There was laughing and bantering and carrying on, with lots of fun being had! Until two people dressed in black from the front desk came into our room to tell us that they had gotten complaints about us and that we were being too loud and needed to please be quiet. It was a little bit confusing. This hotel is happening and young and yet there is a quiet after-hours rule supposedly? I am not sure if there is, but I believe it seems that way. I was a little confused and a little bit disappointed. It was a Saturday night and the vibe of the hotel is young, exciting and fresh, so it did feel like the vibe was destroyed in a small way. I remember that the people from the front desk actually came all the way into the room almost to the first bed closest to the door to tell us to please quiet down and I remember thinking that it made me feel a tad bit uncomfortable and unsafe. I think that they maybe should have stayed outside of the door and relayed the message from there. That way it would not feel like being invaded. The way things are these days, who knows who you can trust in a hotel? Just a suggestion for their safety and for ours.

After we got dressed we went down to the bar downstairs for a drink. The vibe was great! The staff was young, hip and friendly. There was a musician performing and he was great. I had a Lake Michigan Sunrise I believe. Very good drinks, just pricey, but what are you going to do? It's Chicago! We all had one or two drinks and then left to go out for the night. There are a lot of bars nearby so that it is a plus. It is a real happening place with lots of people on the street and all around until fairly late in the night.

In the wee hours of the morning we returned and the staff that greeted us were all very nice. We quietly went up to our room and got ready for bed. The beds are extremely comfortable. I slept like a baby. Like I was on a cloud. They are extremely spacious too. I must comment on the bathroom as well. The bathroom was pretty spacious and I loved the shower. I ESPECIALLY loved the sink. It was huge and I really appreciated that because multiple people could use it at once. Loved it. The bathroom sliding door is a little weird because you can see in through the crack and there is no soundproof quality whatsoever.

I loved the decor of the room also. Very classy, hip and not overdone. The location of the hotel (on State) is also great. You are in a hustling and bustling area without being centrally in the tourist trap of Michigan Avenue.

Overall, this was a decent experience. I would probably return, but I am glad that I am aware of things like the quiet and the roof-top wristbands.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LaughingD,

Thank you for your detailed review of theWit Hotel Chicago! We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy your experience and celebration. I am also a great fan of the decor and especially the sink!

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to enjoy Roof during your visit. ROOF is one of the most popular nightclubs in the city and gets extremely busy during the weekend hours so we have made sure that our registered guests have access to 4 wristbands while visiting. Thank you for letting me know how the noise complaint was handled. I certainly see how this could appear as a more aggressive approach than what is necessary. Feedback like this gives us the opportunity to improve our services and make sure that we leave a positive impression with our guests.

We look forward to seeing you at theWit on your next visit to Chicago. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Foster City, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I recently stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip. I was very happy and satisfied with the stay.

Location: I don't know Chicago very well, and didn't have time to explore too much, but the location was really convenient to where I had my business meetings, and then also is right next to the Lake/State metro line, which I was able to take to go out to dinner.

Wifi: not free, but they have a few different options and price levels, and I found that the middle one, which I got, had pretty good speed and let me do all the work I needed to do.

Room: very comfortable and clean, bed, desk, tv, chair. Wardrobe instead of closet -- and no luggage rack, which was a little annoying. bathroom is large and nicely cleaned. I forgot toothpaste and called down and they were happy to bring up a tube for me.

clean modern, convenient, and they were nice - i recommend!

Room Tip: 12th floor was nice, no noise issues.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Jenn D,

Thank you for your recent review of theWit Hotel Chicago! I am glad to hear that you found our hotel to be perfect for your visit. We are fortunate to have such an convenient location for our guests to experience the city as well as a team that is dedicated to delivering top notch service.

We look forward to your return to theWit on your next Chicago adventure. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Toronto
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were attending a family wedding at the Wit and stayed there for a few days. The location was excellent - close to the Chicago L transit system, Magnificent Mile, museums and the Millennium Park where there is a unique sculpture called Cloud Gate (aka the Bean shaped like a shiny kidney bean). Staff was very helpful and they offer you a warm choc cookie at the front desk when you check in! It is a bit pricey but worth it @ the special rate which we got.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear CanadianTraveler07,

Thank you for your review of theWit Hotel Chicago! We are delighted to hear that your group had a wonderful experience while visiting. We are fortunate to have an amazing location for our guests to enjoy the city.

We look forward to seeing you at theWit on your next visit to Chicago. Have a fantastic afternoon!

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff and concierge were all very helpful. The rooms were large, clean and spacious. The only issue with this location is don't get a room within 3 floors of the roof top nightclub unless you plan on being at the nightclub til 3 am each nite. The bass resonates and you may as well be up on the roof partying cause you won't be sleeping!

So once we moved down a few floors (with no assistance from the hotel staff) it was a great stay.

Good food and close to lots of attractions in downtown Chicago.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms higher than the 23rd floor to avoid the noise from the nightclub.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Blair R,

Thank you for your recent review of theWit Hotel Chicago! I sincerely apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. I am glad that you were able to change rooms to improve your visit. You stated that the hotel did not offer any assistance during your room move and I would love to find out more about this. Please feel free to reach out to me at your convenience so that I can understand this gap in service. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Christopher Rodriguez
Guest Relations Manager
crodriguez@thewithotel.com
San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was rally satisfied with the hotel room was great and extremely clean, the rooftop bar was really great with excellent views and party almost every night, drinks was reasonable staff was extremely polite and willing to assis at any time. i will definately be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Dharmendra S,

Thank you for your wonderful review of theWit Hotel! I am delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be such a pleasant place. I am extremely happy to hear that our team was dedicated to assisting and delivering the top notch service we expect from them.

I look forward to your return to theWit on your next Chicago visit. Have a wonderful afternoon!