“I liked it.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland
“I liked it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2010

I stayed at the Wit Hotel for two nights. I thought the room looked nice. It had great views. There was a fun crowd at the hotel. The only thing I did not like was they charged too many fees. The manager was nice. The people at the front desk were nice. Don't go to The Roof at night unless you like really loud music. There was too much go through for the hotel guests to go to The Roof also. I would stay here again because I like the location and the hotel was clean.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

All the coolness of modern decor without the stuffiness of the people. What a great hotel. The design is very aesthetically pleasing, no detail was ignored. Service was great. Gym was empty the two times I used it, wish I had time to use the spa. Rooms are spacious and clean. Pillows are awesome! Everything you need is in walking distance. Lots of shopping down State Street. Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

Even though it's been a few months, I keep thinking about this hotel. In terms of design and decorating, corner room at the Wit is the most fab place I've ever stayed. I'm talking about contemporary style design/decor that is tasteful from ceiling to floor and wraps around you with subtle details in a way that makes you feel abundance and comfort. I'm talking about heavy chrome handles and knobs and faucet that scream "quality" the moment you walk into the room; I'm talking about walls and doors that are heavy enough to create a quiet sanctuary feel. Amazing built-ins in the closet that are functional--wish I had them in my own home, omg. Dark smooth wood, chrome, stone tile, tactile fabrics and upholstery, pops of color, oh my.

I'd never go back to Miracle Mile to stay (mostly tourists in white sneakers and convention goers which is fine if that's your scene). State St is cool location to get a feel of real Chicago and so close to Millennium Park.

One caveat! Watch your credit card bill tho! They billed me for that infamous $4 bottle of water that I did not drink. Out of principle, I continued to pursue this until they finally removed it. Apparently, I'm not the first. Hotel management really has to get this under control.

Also, the rooftop bar is over hyped. It is much smaller than portrayed, very loud, very crowded. For this reason and the H20, the Wit loses a point in my book.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

I had booked a one night stay in the two room King Spa suite at this hotel as a birthday surprise. We also invited a few friends to join us for drinks and dessert in the room that evening as part of the celebration.

Service: Because it was a special event, I had specially ordered dessert from an out of town bakery for the evening, and had it delivered via mail to the hotel. I called ahead to the hotel to let them know this was a special occasion and made sure it was possible to receive my package this way; I was promised the package would be accepted since I would not arrive until 4pm at check in. Unfortunately, my package was never accepted and my dessert never came. According to the tracking number, they had attempted to deliver it. I spoke with multiple people at the front desk to no avail. Offered no alternative suggestions for dessert, finally, in house dining called and offered a very mini cupcake display (at a premium of $33). I had no choice but to take it or go without any dessert.

Cleanliness: The room was nice and clean, but the windows were hazy from fingerprints. Not entirely what I expected to see out of a $389/night room.

Spa quality: There was a big tub and comfortable robes. You have to pay for anything additional.

Value: With all the chaos of dessert, we ended up putting down over $500 on the one night. This included the two room suite, overnight parking, the replacement dessert, and a spa item (bath soap?).

While we really did have fun in the suite and at the hotel, it was definitely a bit pricey. I think my overall experience was tainted because of my missing dessert with no consolation. Maybe it will work out better for you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
We are always thrilled to host special events and occasions as part of theWit experience, and our guests typically rave about the amenities, accommodations, and service provided. It was disheartening to read of the missed special delivery that was to be part of the weekend festivities, and the subsequent follow-up.

We are pleased that we had the opportunity to speak with you since then and to research the circumstances which saw the package arrive back at the hotel on Monday- after your visit- as discussed, and that we may soon have the opportunity to host you again.

Our goal is perfection and guest satisfaction, and we are confident that future Wit-experiences will be positive ones.

As always, guest comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

-Mark Shouger
Plymouth, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

I have always had good service at this hotel, but this stay was exceptional. I brought my mom down for a birthday celebration. We were able to check in to one room at 10 am and the other by 3 pm. We were surprised with a corner room, which was a little larger than a normal king room. It was really clean & had INCREDIBLE views of both Millenium park and the lake beyond. It even had a window in the bathroom! The room was on the 15th floor on the Lake St. side of the hotel. I did not hear traffic noise nor noise from the el train.

Even my parents (in their 60's) were impressed by the rooftop bar. Service was always prompt and friendly and the drinks were good.

The concierge was very good about a lunch & dinner reservation and printed out a few different restaurant menus for us. Also, we had coffee brought up to the room by room service. It was delivered promptly, with the requested 5 cups & five glasses of ice water.

After staying here a few times, I am still impressed with the rooms and service. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in the loop.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 January 2015
Dear coso333,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

We loved The Wit. It was hip, but not too hip to feel snobby. The room was great. I was a little disappointed in the bathroom, not in itself but that it didn't have a bathtub... but that was my fault for booking a standard room.
The rooftop bar was fun and it was a beautiful day, unfortunately there was a wedding reception going on when we tried to go back. But, what are you gonna do? It would be great place to have a reception!
I would definitely go back, but upgrade to a spa room!

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Laurel, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

This is THE place to stay in Chicago. The moment you walk in you are served unlike you have ever been served before. The staff to a person is totally involved in making sure your stay is exemplary and memorable. Thanks for a wonderful business/personal time in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business