“Clean & New!”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #39 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Travelling with my wife, the #1 priority for her in a hotel is cleanliness, & the Wit is THE cleanest hotel we have ever stayed at. It does help that the hotel is only about 1 year old.

If you love new, ultra modern decor, then this hotel is defnly for you. We booked the Spa room & got a lovely SouthWest facing corner suite, with enormous windows. The bathroom was immaculate & the giant tub & windows in the bathroom were awesome.

I do agree with the previous review that you can definitely hear the Lake St train at least from our 15th floor. We are not very light sleepers so it didn't bother us. Also, I agree that the valet does take quite a while to bring your car up.

Nonetheless, overall we were extremely pleased with our choice of hotel & its great location...One other nicety about the hotel was the helpful front desk lady. We had originally booked 2 nites @ the Wit & planned to leave on New Year's eve. Upon arrival, we decided we also wanted to stay New Year's eve, but didnt' want to change rooms. Originally, our Spa room was fully booked for that night, but she was able to check during our stay & found a way for us to stay in our same room on New Year's eve.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,669)

Reviewed 31 December 2010

I have stayed in many Chicago hotels, and I was looking forward to trying the Wit, especially based upon media write-ups and Tripadvisor reviews. The location is excellent, especially for theater patrons, and the overall ambiance of the hotel is one of sophistication. However, I was less impressed with the room and with the sleep experience. Although this is a relatively new hotel, there was a crack in the sick, the shower drained slowly, and the sound of the El was not in any way diminished by soundproof. Yes, I know that staying in the city guarantees noise -- but I've stayed at other hotels near the El without sensing that a train was going to arrive in my bedroom in 1 minute.
The concierge was completely unfamiliar with restaurants involving a very popular cuisine type, and the valet took forever to deliver our car.
I stayed at this hotel on a reduced rate, and I'm glad, because while it was a basically decent stay, I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't want to pay full price. Obviously, if you are going to the theatre in Chicago, it would be an ideal location, but I had the general feeling that I could have done better with another establishment.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights with husband, 3 adult children and 2 partners. The hotel offered spacious rooms and excellent value for money especially when you consider how much you pay for a hotel in London. (which we did a couple of weeks ago)
We had a drink in the bar on the 27th floor, great views. Last night we had a special family dinner in the excellent restaurant Cibomatto. When we checked in, we were given a complimentary bottle of wine voucher if dining in the restaurant. We used it and got 3 bottles of wine. Excellent offer. The food was stunning and service equally so.
This hotel is a short taxi ride from Union Station and not far from Millenium Park.
Chicago is a beautiful city and I look forward to returning during the warmer season so I can take advantage of the architectural boat tours which unfortunately don't operate at this time of year.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Spent two nights at the Witt for some shopping and meeting friends. We took the train from Indiana, the hotel is about a five minute walk from the station. The location of the hotel is a plus for shopping it is within walking distance to Water Tower Place and Macy's.

The hotel is very nicely decorated, the rooms seemed to be a little small but very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay at the Witt and would return for another stay.

Reviewed 29 December 2010

My wife and I stayed at theWit the Sunday before Christmas to enjoy downtown Chicago before the holiday and finish up some shopping. The location is pretty central to everything... Michigan Ave, Millennium Park, Marshall Field's (I know it's now Macy's but wish it wasn't) on State St., theater district, etc. The corner room was a little narrow between the bed and the dresser / desk, but it was comfortable, quiet and had a nice view of the Chicago River. They have a terrific bar on the top of the hotel with outdoor decks that would be great in warm weather, and good fitness center. Had breakfast in the restaurant off of the lobby - great service and good food! The only downside is the hotel does not have a lot of room out front to handle cars. We have already recommend theWit to several friends, and will definitely stay again!

Reviewed 23 December 2010

Got a great deal online, so my husband and I spent the night at theWit this week. It's ok overall...the location is fantastic, especially if you're looking to be centrally located. The modern feel of the hotel is cute. They pump in bird/cricket sounds in the hallways - odd but interesting! The hotel itself is pretty small and, unfortunately, this carried over to the room as well. I booked their most basic room and found it to be comfortable but very very small. I definitely wouldn't stay in this type of room with more than two people. The bathroom door is very strange and doesn't really open and close; it slides from left to right, leaving an open, gaping gap. Hopefully you are comfortable with your travel companion because some things are not left to the imagination!

For the price (we paid under $100/night), I might stay there again. Luckily, we only stayed one night or it would have started to feel a little cramped! As much as people seem to highly rate this place, I expected more than a basic hotel room hiding behind a snazzy color scheme.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2010

All Team Members at theWit are appreciative of the high number of reviews which are being posted at a higher rate as the seasons progress.

Our goal is to welcome guests for an extraordinary Chicago experience at a great value each and every visit. In addition to being in the best location in the city for access to entertainment, shopping and cultural activities, and having the award winning cibo matto, Phoneix Lounge, State and Lake and ROOF restaurants and lounges, theWit offers more room type selections for guests than just about any other hotel in town.

When selecting your accommodations for any future visits, please review our web site to select the room and suite type that best suits your needs and likes.

Be certain to check out the Spa@theWit as well for a relaxing part of your experince.

Again, thanks to all loyal guests who share feedback through TripAdvisor and other review sources.

Happy Holidays to all.

-Mark Shouger

Reviewed 20 December 2010

My wife and I recently spent a long weekend in Chicage. We had a few choices of hotels to saty and, based on comments from past travelers, we chose the Wit. Our expectations were high with all of the great reviews. The hotel did not disappoint. Great location, great service, nice rooms, and a staff that was very accomodating.

It is very easy to get around the city from the Wit. If you want to walk around, it's 2 blocks to Michigan Ave. The downtown area is pretty walkable. It did take about 45 minutes to walk to Navy Pier, but you can do it. As for using the trains, it was very easy. The "Brown" line station is directly outside the hotel. The "Red" line is 1/2 block away. The "Blue" line, which connects you to O'Hare, is 2 blocks away (it takes about 45 minutes to get to O'Hare from the Lake Station). We purchased a 3-day pass for $14 and never had to use a cab.

We had a corner room on the 19th floor overlooking the river and the "Bob Newhart" round towers. What a great view. It was better at night. A few things that stood out:
1) The "Celebrity" wake up calls. If you have been there, you know.
2) The bathroom did have a sliding door, as mentioned in previous posts, but based on the room layout, it really wasn't an issue.
3) DO NOT PICK UP ANYTHING IN THE MINIBAR TO LOOK AT. Each item (fridge and non-fridge items) has a sensor and you are billed if you pick it up. We called the staff as soon as we realized what we did and they credited our account immediately. Apparently, we are not the only ones who have done that.
4) The bar on the 27th floor (the name escapes me right now) is very hip. It is very crowded at night, as it is "The" place to party. Guests of the hotel do get priority access. We went up during the day and it was not crowded.
5) You would think being so close to the EL that you would hear it. Nope. Not once. Our room was very quiet. No issues at all sleeping at night.

Overall experience was fantastic. Would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY! Whather for a week or a weekend, it was great. Have fun and enjoy. And remember the "Celebrity" wake up calls!