“The best hotel we have ever stayed.”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #34 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portage, Indiana
“The best hotel we have ever stayed.”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Everything was just exquisite. Our room was amazing and we were able to upgrade it which made everything more wonderful. We were able to walk to our destination.... The Chicago Theatre.... and return for evening cocktails. This was our first stay in a Doubletree/Hilton hotel. We have visited 45 states and this was the best stay in any hotel ever. I can't express in words how much we loved our visit to theWit.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This Saturday I checked in with a friend to the Wit Chicago. First impression is great because of the convinient location of the hotel, the overall image it portrays and the fact that this was a great way to start off a weekend of exploring Chicago.

The front desk staff that checked us in was helpful and friendly. We went to the Roof before going to the room and dropping our belongings. The 27th floor had a great view, was obviously quiet since it was lunch and the staff again was friendly. From there, we just dropped things off and went out sight-seeing. We came back around 6:30 pm to rest and get ready for the evening. We put on the T.V. and an hour later got a noise complaint. This was surprising because nor was there any disturbing noises nor was the T.V. on too loud. This was in a "connecting" room. The beds, the bathroom and the overall ambiance of the room was great. Around 10:30 we went to the Roof. Obviously the party had started, people seemed in a good mood and the music was good. We ordered drinks from Johnny the bartender who was very upbeat and attentive. Security was nice but seemed to be all over the place. We met Jim Meyers who was a pleasure to talk to and very insightful. Javier, one of the food runners, was beyond hospitable and extremely friendly to us which is very much appreciated. When the evening ended, we went back to the room. Obviously, being late, we were careful not to make noise or talk loud. However, about 10 mins after going back to the room and started to get ready for bed, we got banging on the door from the room next to us. Then 15 mins later, we got a phone call from a rather rude male employee telling us to keep it down and that if necessary, they would come and kick us out of our room in the middle of the night. This to me was very unprofessional and plain rude. I have paid for my room like all the other guests, and expect to be able to talk in it, the whole night if I want to. Nor was there any T.V noise, no banging or screaming, so I do not understand what the problem was (because that's exactly how the gentleman on the phone made it sound like, a big problem). If there are people who need complete silence, then you should not check them in this type of "connected" room. I do not think this was a pleasnt thing to be told in the middle of the night and to have to feel threatened that I might be thrown out and left on the street. The gentleman on the phone made it very clear that we basically needed to shut up completely. Again, I do not recall having read any rules about talking in your own unit. This for me was the downfall to the whole day and night of fun we had. Very unprofessional and not appreciated at all.

Check out was at 12 and they started banging on our door at 11:15 am. Again, this was very pressuring and made us feel unwelcomed and rushed to leave. We wanted to have breakfast at the hotel, but all of this pressuring lead us to just want to leave. Downstairs, checking out at the front desk, I asked for a comment card. The woman at the front desk seemed to be disturbed and annoyed by the fact that I needed assistance. Once again we felt were were being pressured to leave. I asked if I needed to sign something or if any other procedure was necessary and her response was "No, you just leave now." After we asked for the comment card, she never inquired if there was a problem, or what was nice about our stay, etc. which would have been a professional thing to do and a recovery for the hotel.

Again, the beginning of the stay seemed to start off nicely, but then again, we spent only 5 mins in the hotel before going out to the city and therefore had no real contact with the staff and the service. I felt like the hotel got what they wanted from me and when they got it, they no longer cared about maintaining a good customer service.

Point is, I will not come back here and I will not recommed the hotel to anyone of my friends or family. It is a beautiful hotel and at a great location. However, for someone who wants to have a good overall experience that includes friendly staff members and good customer service, it is not the place to go. As a guest I want to feel appreciated and taken care of from start to end, not harassed in the middle of the night because the neighboring door has someone staying that can't sleep or has problems with me talking in my own room. It is the hotel's responsibility to make sure that both I and that person remain happy, not to call and harass me. Again, good location, bad experience.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 January 2011

A great Christime time getaway for shopping and theatre. First time at the Wit and definitely not the last... Great staff, and great room... ( 2 room suite for 4 days) The rooftop bar is a must see and a trendy place to be seen. Close to shopping. Overall the best!! A Green hotel...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Ripon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We spent a night at The Wit on their Witty Stay package. We had a great room and two tickets to the play, Wicked. Great seats for the play. Orchestra, Row L

After booking the room online, I received a very friendly phone call from the hotel confirming which night we wanted to go to the play. Our tickets were available at the desk when we checked in as promised.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly. From the front desk, to those walking around the hotel, and the bar wait staff.

The room had a great view, was VERY clean and decorated very upscale. Great large, clean shower. HD TV (best I have ever seen in a hotel). Bed was comfortable.

We stopped in the rooftop bar for a drink and hors d'oeuvres. Great atmosphere. Friendly staff. A little pricey, but, the view is spectacular.

Our room was on the 17th floor. We could hear the trains going by, but, it did not bother our sleep. I would think the trains would be a little louder if you were below the 10th floor.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I have stayed at The Wit before and had a pleasant experience, so we decided to give it another run and stayed for 2 nights to celebrate my birthday and take in the city.

Let me start by saying I have Diamond status with the HIlton brand and stay at alot Hilton properties. The hotel has a nice vibe when you walk in, a great location and very nice rooms. Since we were having a few people down to celebrate my birthday, we went with a suite that had a kitchen/dining area, famliy room and a very large soaker bathroom. I must say, the electric push button blinds/curtains were pretty fun (they only have those in the suites). Overall, the hotel is very nice.

Now, the bad part and the reason i wont go back. My wife and I have a bit of a tradition, when we go out for our birthday, anniversary, etc, we always surprise each other with a nice bottle of Champagne/Wine and some type of chocalates/fruits delivered to our room-its fun and romantic. My wife called in the day before to have the champagne and chocalate delivered at 5pm (HIlton is normally perfect at delivering right on time!). So as I was anxious to get ready for the night and wanted to leave the room, she patiently asked me to wait. Long story short, 5pm passes and at 5:45, she breaks down and tells me the items were supposed to be delivered at 5.

We called the front desk 2 times over the next 45 minutes, two times they said they would call us back with an update, but didnt, so we start to get ready for our night and at about 6:30, our items finally show up. I nicely told them we no longer wanted the items as they were 90 min late and we were now leaving for dinner. I called the front desk one last time and mentioned I turned down the room service and they said a manager would be contacting me, but he never did. They did offer up a free bottle of wine for our room, which I turned down.

I am not super picky with service and Hilton Hotels have always been great! I get that mistakes happen, but this had that "so what" feel to it which was a disappointment.

I will add that outside of this, the service was good.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I celebrated my 50th birthday at the Wit with friends and had a wonderful experience! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was super clean and the beds were incredibly comfortable. We were within walking distance to shopping and the theatre. I used the gym every morning and had a wonderful spa experience. The restaurants were outstanding and so was the lounge on the top floor. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago area
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We could not have asked for more and the staff was wonderful. Ceremony, photos, cocktails, and reception were all held onsite. ROOF is spectacular for drinks. The banquet food was absolutely wonderful. All of our guests loved their rooms, and one even insisted I come up to see how great it was! Would highly recommend it for anyone.

• Stayed October 2010