“Could have stayed there all day.”

Museum of Science and Industry
Ranked #6 of 657 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere! Housed in the only remaining building from the 1893 World’s Fair, MSI is a Chicago must-see. You’ll experience 14 acres of hands-on exhibits and have the chance to stand before a 40-foot tornado; climb aboard a World War II German submarine; take a run in a human-sized hamster wheel; descend into an Illinois coal mine; tour a fully functioning eco-friendly home; board a 727 hanging from the ceiling; transmit your pulse to a 13-foot, 3-D beating heart; and much more! MSI is not a place where you walk around quietly and observe. No way! You get involved in the fun—and learn—by doing. Just a few miles from downtown with convenient underground parking.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 4 August 2014

There is so much to see and do and most of it is hands on. My husband and I loved it. My only complaint is that some parents don't keep their children under control. The Museum is not just for children. If you come to Chicago this is a must see.

There are newer reviews for Museum of Science and Industry

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We loved this experience. My 14 yr old son and 11yr old daughter were enthralled for four hours. We could have stayed longer but needed to get back to join the rest of the family for a dinner appointment. Our highlights:

a] ice cream parlor - simple counter service with glass bowls that my kids found charming and fun. The ice cream was a bonus to sitting there and talking for a few minutes.

b] train in basement. just walking through the 1940s era train was a thrill for my kids who begin to role play the various jobs of the train staff. wow, haven't seen them "play" like kids in several years. refreshing.

c] tesla bars and lightning display. this main area is a blast with tornado exhibit but the tesla display and crackles every ten minutes or so were a treat.

d] make your own toy production assembly line. I normally hate the add-on expense of being asked to spend $5 dollars mid-tour. However, this was worthy. The glass case allowed us to watch as the toy was built to our specifications before our eyes. the toy was a gyroscope...new to my kids, old to me...but the process is the real draw. they learned a good bit about assembly line technology and process by watching. they were glued to it/ unforgettable. they would not have learned as well in front of a video.

e] the mine tour - we did this and it was really cool. actual equipment at fill scale in a coal mine that smelled/felt very real. when else can you do that???

This is a very good collection of experiences all are interactive and memorable. great museum.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place is huge! Get there early and be prepared to spend all day there. Thankfully they have a cafeteria where you can break for lunch. Tons of exhibits and interactive activities. Tip: Try purchasing your tickets from the Kiosks. They are located in the opposite direction of the main line. We were able to get our tickets from it at a much lower price than what was posted in the main line. But the kiosks don't allow you to choose some of the "extra" exhibits - which was actually fine with us, especially after realizing we would have run out of time had we done them. The museum alone w/o the extras was well worth it.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

So much to see and do here. You could easily spend the whole day here and not even see a small part of it. We did the coal mine, submarine, and IMAX and it was all worth the extra cost. If you don't have a car or don't want to drive and pay $20 for parking, there is a bus that runs along State Street downtown that brings you out to the museum.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is probably one of the coolest and expansive science museums I've been to. I'm not typically into science exhibits but this place really does a good job getting people to be interactive with the science part of the museum. The weather area was particularly cool - creating your own typhoon and playing with trajectories was neat. Aside from that the U-505 was probably my highlight; really well done exhibit with plenty of info on the time period and the story of its capture. I paid the extra money to get the guided tour which was excellent as well. The Disney exhibit was really great as well: lots of history learned and awesome artifacts. Block off a day for this place; I spent 5 hrs there and could have stayed longer. Only thing that sucks is parking; $20 to park in their garage.