“Went for nostalgia”

Ranked #6 of 647 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere! Housed in the only remaining building from the 1893 World’s Fair, MSI is a Chicago must-see. You’ll experience 14 acres of hands-on exhibits and have the chance to stand before a 40-foot tornado; climb aboard a World War II German submarine; take a run in a human-sized hamster wheel; descend into an Illinois coal mine; tour a fully functioning eco-friendly home; board a 727 hanging from the ceiling; transmit your pulse to a 13-foot, 3-D beating heart; and much more! MSI is not a place where you walk around quietly and observe. No way! You get involved in the fun—and learn—by doing. Just a few miles from downtown with convenient underground parking.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Nanuet, New York
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Went for nostalgia”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I used to visit this place at least once a year when I was a kid in the Sixties living in the area, and I could persuade my dad to take us. To my delight, many of the things from the old days are still there, the German submarine, the coal mine, and various exhibit pieces (Craig Breedlove's "Spirit of America", setter of land speed records sticks out especially) and a few others. The new exhibits are exciting, and are designed to involve kids and adults alike. Back then, it was free, but of course, now there are fees. I can see where the cost can get pretty steep for a family of four or five. You might want to limit your extra fee activities on the first visit, to see if your kids really like the experience all that much.

I don't have the energy I had 45-50 years ago, and the place is enormous, an adult without boundless enthusiasm might get tired feet. But there's always another exhibit beckoning you to see it, and you find yourself lured by the adventure of it all. I remember the place being better lit back then, there were actually places I had to use the flashlight app from my smartphone to read labels on artifacts from the submarine (thank you to the folks who were inspired enough by their museums to create smartphones!).

One overriding thing still remains the same, this is a place to create the most wonderful thing in the world, a child's dream. I noticed that my guide (A. J.?) for the coal mine tour kept talking to the kids in our group about becoming scientists and engineers, to make things better for the world. I shook his hand at the end of the tour and told him that this museum still does for young people what it did for me.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not a good place to visit if you don't want to be around kids”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Loved the German U-boat and the Coal Mines - but there were too many kids around to really enjoy much else. I suggest MOSI have an all adults day during the week on a school day - for those of us who can do without the craziness of kids running around without their parents!

Gran Rapids, MI
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing! You have to go!”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This museum is wonderful! There is really something for kids of all ages. I thought it might be a little bit over the head of my 3 year old but he loved it! The museum is HUGE so don't expect to see everything in one day if you have little ones. The ticket agent was very helpful in directing us to the exhibits that were most appropriate for our children's ages. The exhibits were wonderful. Many are interactive and there were tons of things to touch and buttons to push which is pure delight for a 3 year old. We had a great time and will definitely be back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great place to bring kids!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My kids love this place! and I really enjoy all the interactive exhibitions. Great family Sunday Fun day Outing!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank James1035
Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great for kids and young at heart”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I had some extra time while visiting Chicago this spring and had purchased a City Pass (worth every penny if you want to see several attractions and don't like lines) so I went to the Museum of Science and Industry. I enjoyed the experience. I would suggest going right for opening as many of the shows and exhibits were sold out by the time I got there. It is geared more towards children but is still very enjoyable for adults. There is lots of neat learning exhibits and some really cool things that you get to touch and experience. It is very interactive and perfect for children 7-13. A must see if you have kids and cool even if you don't!

Visited May 2014