“Worth a stop”

Museum of Contemporary Photography
Ranked #135 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Contemporary Photography (MoCP) at Columbia College Chicago is the only museum in the Midwest with an exclusive commitment to the medium of photography and its evolving, interdisciplinary approaches. Visit the Museum in the heart of Chicago's South Loop to discover how engaging with the dynamic MoCP community can enrich your enjoyment and appreciation for the arts.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A part of Columbia College, MoCP is a small but lovely photography museum. Great exhibit that changes periodically. I've never found the staff to be particularly interested that we were there but that's OK as I go for the exhibits. The museum is fairly small but it is FREE and always has lovely, interesting things to see. A short walk from the Art Museum on the opposite side of Michigan Ave.

All reviews
"video"
in 4 reviews
"installation"

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I just happened to see this museum on the edge of the map my concierge gave me. The place is just a couple of blocks from the Art Institute, and I like photography so I decided to check it out. I am really glad I did. It's a little unexpected gem. There is no admission (but don't be cheap - donate $5 in the plexiglass box). It appears to be staffed by students. There are three small levels, but there were five different exhibits to see. The main floor is the largest and accommodated two artists' photos on a similar theme. The second floor had another small exhibit (which I found pretty compelling, photos of the artist's older mother as she slid into mental illness), another small exhibit on the third floor, and there were two video installations. I spent a leisurely 45 minutes or so going through the place and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I will be going back every time I'm in Chicago (you can't spend all your time at the Art Institute, and this place is much more personal).

Chaz O, Public Relations Manager at Museum of Contemporary Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Hello Marc J,
We were glad to see that you chose to visit the Museum of Contemporary Photography during your trip this past spring. Thank you for writing such a glowing review of your visit and for calling the MoCP 'a little unexpected gem'! We look forward to seeing you when your travels bring you to Chicago once again.

Best,
Chaz O.
Manager of Marketing and Communications
Museum of Contemporary Photography

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The museum is free. Why not give it a try? You will need 30-60 Minutes depending on how closely you will inspect the displayed photographs.

Contrary to our expectation, the photos are not made by professionals and chosen for their beauty. In fact, there are collections of photos by "normal" people but they depict various occasions. For example, photos found in abandonded buildings were exhibited as were photos taken by the former sercret service of the German Democratic Republic.

1  Thank SimsalabimTim
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This museum took us about a half hour to walk to. Once we got there, we were intrigued by the photos and videos presented. Despite this, the museum was very small and there's much better bigger museums around.