“Great location”

Ranked #90 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Sarasota, Florida
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I went with this place since it had great reviews on TripAdvisor and it was literally next door to the building I was attending a training seminar for the next two days so it worked out perfectly. First off, just note that there is no parking provided by this hotel and you have to use the public parking lot which is attached but $45 per day! So keep that in consideration if you plan to drive a vehicle and park it there. Had I known that, I would have just got a taxi to and from the airport and walked/biked anywhere else.

The hotel staff was very nice and when checking in they provided me with the information that was needed such as where to get breakfast, their amenities, and the wifi password (which was none).

Breakfast in on the 2nd floor and I had it the first day I stayed. There’s plenty of room to sit and the area smelled great since they had 6 waffle stations available and lots of options such as muffins, oatmeal, cereal, toast, bagels, etc. They have a person there that serves you eggs, hash browns, and/or sausage if you would like those, which I assume is not a safety thing since you make your own waffles, scoop hot oatmeal, and toast your own bread. It’s probably for people who take too much of them. However, the hash browns were inedible, tasted like paper, were cold, and I spit them out! The eggs weren’t that great either and were runny and spongy but I ate them.

Parking – Expensive and should be included with the hotel stay.

Shower head – It was just your basic one and did the trick but would be nice if they upgraded them. Speakman makes nice ones that are available at Westin type hotels.

Bed – This was very comfy and the pillows were great too.

View – My room was on the inside area so I was facing other rooms but it’s all downtown anyway so unless you’re on a top floor, don’t expect much.

Water – Water pressure was fine and got hot.

Air Conditioner – The air unit wasn’t working in terms of accuracy but it was running and kept the room cold but it would say it was 70 degrees in the room but it was probably 75. I just bumped it down to 65 and it was good. Probably just the particular room I was in and maybe the batteries were bad in the digital thermostat.

All in all it was a good stay and I would go backl, however I would make plans to get breakfast somewhere else and take a taxi there instead of park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ANTMARSAN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

It turned out to be better than I expected. Free breakfast was included but why was there no bacon on the buffet!!!!??? The staff in the kitchen was wonderful. They told me that they serve bacon Monday through Thursday only....why the heck do they do that??? Oh, I hated missing my bacon on those days.

I don't like that they didn't know that they didn't have any more fridges or microwaves to bring to our rooms when we checked in. I requested and never received it. I should have requested it when I made the reservation (note to self next time). The staff was happy to put your food in the their fridge and give you a claim ticket to retrieve it later.

The bed was comfortable, room okay size, nice and clean. The problem occurred at 3 a.m. when some folks wanted to get their groove on loudly!!! I thought it was a kid in distressed at first. I had just feel asleep when I heard the cries and noises. I went up and down the hall because I thought a kids was being hurt. Finally I found the room where the noise was coming from and after listening for a minute realized it was adult "having fun" I guess...in-considered guests.

Anyway, it was nicer than I expected. The pool area could use some updating. Small jacuzzi but at least they had indoor facilities which is necessary in Chicago.

Room Tip: If you desire a fridge and microwave request it when you reserve your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sthompson77
Lorain, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Clean hotel with courteous staff. The price was average for downtown Chicago. Our view was an office building with just as many windows as the hotel, so we had to keep our blinds closed the entire time. We weren't impressed with breakfast at all. It felt more like continental breakfast than a full breakfast. Boiled eggs, biscuits with sausage gravy, and waffles were the most elaborate hot items available. People were anxiously grabbing food like it was the last food they'd ever eat! We ate out every morning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
chicago, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My stay at La Quinta was very nice. While I personally do not like spending so much money on a hotel, I think it was right for the area. You are in the middle of downtown Chicago, where anything is accessible, and it was an easy walk from the South Shore Millennium station. Most of the staff was very friendly, and the complimentary breakfast was a nice perk. You can make your own waffles, get hash browns and sausage and different juices as well. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and La Quinta makes sure you are fueled for everything you are going to do in Chicago!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Ashley P
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent the weekend at the Franklin Street LaQuinta and were very impressed with the hotel and staff. The hotel and rooms were lovely; clean and well maintained. Plenty of hot water in the bath! The free breakfast provided ample food choices for the pickiest of eaters. The fresh-made waffles being a wonderful treat. The pool was the perfect size for playing with the kids and keeping a close watch on them. Most importantly, the hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. And they were well informed about local attractions and transportation options. The location was convenient to public transportation and the best of downtown Chicago. And let's not forget -- the regular price of the hotel was BETTER than anything available on those discount internet sites. We will stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very pleased from check in through check out. Room was very nice. View was of a building across the street but you get that in a city. Noise level was lower than I expected being in the heart of the city. Staff was very helpful in getting boarding passes printed when Business Center was occupied. Also very helpful in getting a cab for the airport. For someone not famliar with Chicago, this was a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Victoria F
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

La Quinta in Chicago's loop is a great location for the discounted price we paid ($110 per room).

The room was generally clean, but there was a serious mildew smell in the sink area, so that every time I leaned over to get a drink of water, I felt like I was drinking mildewed water.

There's a good breakfast included with the room, but the dining area was packed. Many people opted to take their food back to their rooms. The swimming pool is like an oversized bathtub, so don't plan on using it to get any exercise.

The wifi access in the room was a bit iffy. If I turned towards the wall, it dropped out, and at the best of times, I could only get two bars.

There was also a lot of noise on Saturday morning around 4:30 am when it sounded like trash was being collected from the alley that our rooms faced. It went on for quite a while.

The front desk staff were pleasant, and we were able to leave our baggage in the baggage room after checkout.

Room Tip: Rooms on the alley may hear trash being collected in the early hours of the morning.
Stayed June 2014, travelled with family