“A Perfect Choice”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
Ranked #65 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent the weekend at the Franklin Street LaQuinta and were very impressed with the hotel and staff. The hotel and rooms were lovely; clean and well maintained. Plenty of hot water in the bath! The free breakfast provided ample food choices for the pickiest of eaters. The fresh-made waffles being a wonderful treat. The pool was the perfect size for playing with the kids and keeping a close watch on them. Most importantly, the hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. And they were well informed about local attractions and transportation options. The location was convenient to public transportation and the best of downtown Chicago. And let's not forget -- the regular price of the hotel was BETTER than anything available on those discount internet sites. We will stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Write a ReviewReviews (1,220)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very pleased from check in through check out. Room was very nice. View was of a building across the street but you get that in a city. Noise level was lower than I expected being in the heart of the city. Staff was very helpful in getting boarding passes printed when Business Center was occupied. Also very helpful in getting a cab for the airport. For someone not famliar with Chicago, this was a great place to stay.

1  Thank Victoria F
Reviewed 23 June 2014

La Quinta in Chicago's loop is a great location for the discounted price we paid ($110 per room).

The room was generally clean, but there was a serious mildew smell in the sink area, so that every time I leaned over to get a drink of water, I felt like I was drinking mildewed water.

There's a good breakfast included with the room, but the dining area was packed. Many people opted to take their food back to their rooms. The swimming pool is like an oversized bathtub, so don't plan on using it to get any exercise.

The wifi access in the room was a bit iffy. If I turned towards the wall, it dropped out, and at the best of times, I could only get two bars.

There was also a lot of noise on Saturday morning around 4:30 am when it sounded like trash was being collected from the alley that our rooms faced. It went on for quite a while.

The front desk staff were pleasant, and we were able to leave our baggage in the baggage room after checkout.

Room Tip: Rooms on the alley may hear trash being collected in the early hours of the morning.
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Comfortable and clean room. Comfortable beds. Free WiFi. Free yummy breakfast. Fast check in and friendly staff.
It's a great location in the loop area. Easy walk to many sites. Easy walk to blue line which goes to the airport. Recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canadian-eh777
A TripAdvisor Member
Springfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Initially I was pleased when I first checked in, but things went down hill fast. I went to use the treadmill in the fitness room, it malfunctioned and did not stop and I sustained injuries on my leg, When I went to the front desk for a first aid kit (bleeding and bruised), the guy said "Oh there is a Walgreens up the street"... Seriously! Then I had no wifi service in my room and rather than help me I had to call their tech support and was on the phone with them for hours. The problem was not resolved and finally at 11pm they sent someone to switch my room. To end my stay rather than get me a cab to the airport, or call a car service they told me to take the train gave me small change and then gave me incorrect directions. When I told the manager his response was "thank you for letting me know, I wonder whats wrong with the wifi" and then left to his office.
I never want to go back to Chicago and I certainly will never stay at this location every again!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was in Chicago for a training. The room was spacious, and the long countertop at the window was great for working on my tablet. It's nice to have a fridge that you can actually use that isn't a minibar so you can keep your food and drinks cold, then you can heat them up in the small microwave. For those who like coffee, there is a k-cup machine. The shades for the window were easy to open/close, and the design on them was attractive. It was nice to have a little couch and table also -- I'm guessing the room was built to have 2 double beds, but La Quinta did the smart thing (since most business travelers only need one bed) and gave you more room to sit and move around. TV cable actually had a online guide, which is nice. Everything was clean, and staying on the 2nd floor left me only steps away from the breakfast buffet. The breakfast buffet was nice since it was free, but real plates and silverware (or even paper plates) instead of styrofoam and plastic ware would make a world of difference. The buffet room is nicely decorated and comfortable. Okay selection (I think there were 3 bulk cereals, make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh mangoes, yogurt, bagels, oj). I saw a Starbucks directly across the street, if you prefer. There is a Noodles & Co accessible through the hotel lobby. I saw one of those stations where you rent a bicycle for the day right outside. I used the stationary bike in the workout room, and it was well-used, but okay. The room had a bike, a couple treadmills, an elliptical, and a weight machine, I think. I peeked at the small indoor pool, and I saw a whirlpool in there as well. The pool water looked cloudy, but I didn't go inside to check it out closely. The front desk personnel were very friendly, and when I was ready to leave, they hailed me a cab quickly. My main suggestion would be to put something on the stairwell door to keep it was slamming because I could hear it periodically from my room, and it was so loud I thought several times that someone had opened my room door!

Room Tip: Rooms farther from stairwell doors are quieter
3  Thank Blarneyfree
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were invited to a former students wedding at the Sears (Willis) Tower, and were informed that a block of rooms had been set aside at this property. I first called about 3 months in advance and spoke with "Melissa" at the front desk. Upon arrival at the hotel last Saturay, not only was our room ready AHEAD of time, we got to meet the Manager, staff, security, and most importantly, Melissa. The wedding was at 5 p.m., and we had concerns about this size hotel accommodating our "needs" to get in, get cleaned up, ready, and get down Franklin St. in time, given that 3 p.m. is the "regular" check-in time. Not only was our room ready at 1 p.m., we had time to "scout" around downtown in the loop, grab some lunch, and get back to our great room in time to get ready, and be at the Willis Tower by 5 p.m.
I did speak with a "Chantel" via telephone a couple of days before our arrival, just to firm up the reservation and "requests". All were in order when we arrived.
The hotel is located in a great spot in the West Loop. The room was just fine. We did not have a street view, rather the alley and adjacent office building, but for the standard "wedding reserved room" price, in downtown Chicago, you couldn't go wrong here.
The ENTIRE staff is so friendly!
The Manager we met, front desk, housekeeping, security, and breakfast servers!
(We did stay for breakfast, and these other reviews that mention the girls singing & having FUN with people is no joke!) The 2nd floor breakfast beats any other LaQuinta we've stayed at, other than maybe Salina, Kansas! (of all places)
The only drawback is that the property does not have their own parking. The adjacent "Poetry" Garage is virtually attached to the Hotel, however, the $45 I had to pay for 24 hrs. was in my opinion, quite an "additional" expense. Next time we will take the train to Union Station and walk up to this hotel.
Keep up the great work folks!

Room Tip: I guess, ask for a "street view" room. You don't want to have to keep your curtains cl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple