“Best experience for this Country family.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
Ranked #80 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Best experience for this Country family.”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We are from a very small village in Michigan and don't travel often. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. The breakfast was plentiful and very good. The pool is small, but our daughter loved it, and she and her dad spent quite a bit of time there. The view was wonderful. The room very clean...I am especially particular about that. Everything was pretty much within walking distance and when we needed to catch the subway train or bus, the deskstaff got us to the right spot with no troubles at all. We were even able to purchase Shedd Aquarium tickets at the hotel, which saved us an incredibly LONG, hot line! If we ever visit Chicago again, I will definitely book with La Quinta. Many thanks for a great getaway!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Korean first
Raleigh, NC, United States
Reviewed 1 September 2014

LaQuinta in downtown Chicago is very conveniently located in Financial district. The hotel staff is friendly and the amenities are above average LaQuinta hotels. If concerned about safety, you need the room key to take the elevator to your floor (on the other hand, I guess not a plus if you don't care about that kind of safety).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Razvan R
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

If I could give the hotel 3.5 stars I would. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable. Location was excellent, in the heart of the financial district. Train was nearby- walking distance. Breakfast was plentiful. I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it. I did not have a car with me so I can't attest to the parking situation, other than say there was a parking garage nearby.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here for business and to be honest I did not know what to expect. The staff was very friendly upon arrival and check out. This is a great location. The hotel is mins away from Union Station if you arrive by train and on the same block opposite corner of the Microtek building where I had to go every morning. The room was very large and decor very modern. The room in included a refrigerator and microwave which is not standard in most hotels which was great for me because I had an hour lunch break everyday. The hotel has lots of restaurants around both chain and unique to Chicago which made meals very convenient. Also, the location is minutes away from Michigan Ave., State Street, and other unique tourist attractions. I have read reviews about the price, however, the price I paid was normal for the same type of quality hotel in Chicago and to be honest this hotel offers more for the price compared to others. Only con about this hotel is there is no parking available. I will be returning to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ANR113
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the downtown La Quinta only one night and on my La Quinta points. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful and I didn't feel slighted in the least even though I was using my LQ points instead of paying out of pocket for the room. The room was very spacious with a large elegant bathroom with walk-in shower. The main room was tastefully decorated and of note were the shades for the windows which when pulled created almost a mural effect. Very nice touch. We arrived about 11 am and our room was ready so were allowed to check in early. Unfortunately there were no soaps or shampoos in our bathroom so I had to go to the front counter to retrieve some. Not a big deal, but it was a small inconvenience. They gave us plenty of towels. The room was very clean, although, the shower (as seems to be the case in all hotels/motels in high humidity climes) has some mildew in two corners. Climate control for the room was adequate and easy. Parking was simple but pricey which is typical in downtown Chicago. The Poets Garage which is on the other side of the drive thru from the motel has a special deal with the hotel so that one pays $45 for 24+ hours of parking. We arrived at 11 am and our parking there was good until 2 pm the next day. We worked that through the front desk after checking in with the parking garage. We were within walking distance of the river walk, Millenium Park and even within a long walk of the Hancock Building. The train lines weren't far away either if one wanted to go further afield. The breakfast selection was good and slightly better than the typical La Quinta fare. They offered bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, salsa and cheese for egg toppings, the usual bread, bagel and pastry selection with toppings, cold cereal, oatmeal, self serve waffle making station, tea, coffee, fruit juice, chopped fruit and apples and bananas. For security reasons, one has to swipe one's room key in order to use the elevator going up. Coming down it isn't necessary. If we were to return to Chicago, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PullmanCougar
Downtown Columbus
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I know its location is good; however, we can easily find three or four-star hotel deals for Chicago downtown location. For the same price, we should be able to find much better deals, for a real hotel. I made a mistake by thinking this one charge higher price , so it must be different from regular La Quinta. I was wrong. It's the same; actually, it's worse.

Our room has no frige and we were told all rooms with double beds don't have friges. No in room safebox, either. The air conditioner is VERY LOUD. Also, they only provide very tiny bottle of shampoo, body wash and one soap. Even no basic body lotion! My body turned very dry after shower (I think the shower lotion is not good and cause the dry condition). That's when I found no body lotion provided.

The included free breakfast buffee was the worst one I have ever had at all La Quintas! One staff stood behind scramble eggs, baked potatos and sausage stations. Those stuffs are served upon asking her! Then it turned out the scramble eggs are just TINY pieces and my folk could't take one, only spoon worked. The baked potatos were very dry and the sausage taste aweful. The waffle maker's timer was adjusted to very short cooking time; therefore the waffle is barely edlible. Some of the items were hiden by staffs that I had to ask to get. (in my case, the yogurt and bread spread).

Seriously, La Quinta provided very good value based on my past experiences; but this one is NOT one of them.

If you can find other deals, just avoid this one. It's well NOT worth this price.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColumbusUrbanLife
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Located within easy walking distance of Chicago Union Station, this beautifully designed and maintained hotel is a flat-out amazing bargain, considering its exceptional quality, cleanliness, comfort, friendly and gracious staff, and cool urban ambience. The reasonable price of my room included a spacious, well-equipped conference room, which I won't use, but the bedroom and bath are equally spacious, engagingly decorated, and beautifully furnished. The mattress is firm but comfortable. My room was equipped with an alarm clock, hair dryer, dorm-type fridge, microwave, two LED TV, separate electronic climate controls for the bedroom and conference room, a nifty table and work chair situated in front of the expansive windows looking out onto Franklin Ave., and two land-line phones. A nearby Noodles & Co. offers room service to this hotel -- a very nice plus for a very weary (Amtrak) traveler. Speaking of Amtrak, I've learned the hard way that one can't count on the road's ability to make connections, so I've decided to plan for layovers... If I'm traveling DC-Chicago-Denver, for example, I'll plan a one-night stay in Chicago in case the DC-Chicago train is late. This fantastic hotel is perfect for this purpose, and I expect to spend many nights here in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo