“Very good place in the authentic tradition of a quick eat Chinese place”

Saint's Alp Teahouse
Ranked #51 of 117 Coffee & Tea in Chicago
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
United States
“Very good place in the authentic tradition of a quick eat Chinese place”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is an interesting place in Chicago's Chinatown. Next to the best dim sum in Chicago is this little eatery featuring noodles and authentic Chinese light eats at incredibly low prices. The "samosa" is actually curried meat in a pastry made of egg roll skin, the traditional way for this Chinese version of India food. The corn and chicken soup was delicious and enough for three to four. The pan fried noddles are excellent as is the soup noodles. The beef brisket soup noodle wonderful and completely authentic. There is also a huge offering of bubble drinks. This is a great little modernist Chinese eatery in Chinatown Chicago.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kawidd

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Food is amazing! Service isn't so great.”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was born in Chicago but raised in Wisconsin. I don't know the local eateries as well as a local would but while visiting on business, my associates suggested coming here for lunch. I'm a huge fan of Chinatown and its restaurants. This place is very modern and hip but located in a very old neighborhood. White chairs and mod decorations. The servers barely spoke English so that's when you know the food is going to be real. My business friends recommended trying the Udon or the Baked Fried Rice dishes. I went for the Baked fried rice with pork chops and my sister went for the Seafood Udon noodles.

Our food came out quickly, VERY hot and fresh. I LOVED my baked fried rice. It was nothing I expected and very unique. The dish is layered similar to lasagna or a casserole, it had a layer of melted cheese on top, a sweet and sour sauce beneath that, then the slices of fried pork chops, and then below that was the fried rice. After I came back to Wisconsin, I craved this dish so bad and wouldn't stop telling my friends. My sister's seafood udon was also really good.

Service was really awful, they never refilled our water or came to check on us. But I would go back for the food and sometimes even contemplate making the drive to Chicago just to eat here. My dish was only about $6 which is a deal.

• Visited October 2011
IL
“Food was good and service was quick.”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We have eaten here twice now while in Chinatown. Walking in - the place strikes you as more of a fast food type restaurant atmosphere, but the food was home cooked type. Lunch prices were good for a family on a limited budget. It is clean, the food portions are very generous. We got three dishes between 2 adults and 2 teenage boys and had plenty to eat. Food was good both times we ate there, and it was a good place to bring our kids and I would have felt comfortable to bring small children there too. Right across for the newer shopping mall in Chinatown.

• Visited June 2011
United States
“Fun experience in Chinatown, average food”
Reviewed 18 March 2011

This is a cute little restaurant with a very authentic Asian atmosphere. As I recall, it's a Hong Kong-based chain, so it's fun to go here in Chicago. The menu is quite extensive with Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese options. The prices were very good, and the food was pretty average. Portions were a bit larger than you might find in most cheap Chinese take out places, which made me happy.
If you're in Chinatown, check it out. It seems to always be packed with Asians, so that's a good sign for an Asian restaurant.

• Visited March 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Not many people there, the food & drink there are just so so.”
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Not many people there, the food & drink there are just so so.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Saint's Alp Teahouse? Share your experiences!