“Airport shuttle wait was over an hour”

Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #135 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Minneapolis
“Airport shuttle wait was over an hour”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here for 1 short night. Arrived on Friday, March 14th at around 9pm. As soon as my flight landed I called the front desk for instructions on how to find the shuttle. They explained who to get there and to stand by door #2. They said the shuttle arrived every 30 minutes. We waiting about 25 minutes and I called the front desk to make sure the shuttle was on the way and they said it was just about to leave. I googled the hotel distance to be about 9 minutes by car. 20 minutes later, no shuttle. Now we have a group of 15 people waiting for Holiday Inn-Cumberland and every other person waiting for other hotels has gotten on their shuttle. 20 MORE minutes (total of 1 hour and 5 minutes from when we arrived at the door NOT from when we landed) and no shuttle. I called the front desk AGAIN and they said they would call the driver. They get a hold of the driver and the driver is 1 minute away.
A grumpy old man hops out and starts grabbing bags and we all rush into the shuttle. It took us 8 minutes to get to the hotel.
At check in the front desk people recognized my IHG status but were extremely sarcastic about the entire shuttle waiting experience. I would think they would have apologized instead of attempting to make light of the situation.
I head up to the room to get settled and my room keys don't work. I head back down and the gentleman at the front desk makes another sarcastic comment about wanting to come see him again. Not really funny. Just want to get in the room. He also tries to make up some excuse that the keys are broken (which never happens especially to both keys) when in reality he goofed up because he was too focused on making his little funnies.
Room was clean and nice, bar and restaurant next door had a very good breakfast.
Overall the hotel structure was great but something with management needs to be tweaked. If there were no people at all involved in my hotel experience here i would have given it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robbinsdale_Runner
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Robbinsdale_Runner, I want to apologize on behalf of the hotel for not fully providing the service we usually do. Our shuttles are big aspect of our hotel and I will be looking into what happened with the transportation that day as well as your check-in experience. If you could please reach out to me at jbugara@lakhanihospitality.com I would love to anything it takes to make you our guests again.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The Holiday Inn at Chicago O´Hare Internatioal Airport is a very good option for any layover. The service is really good and the staff ever so helpful. The rooms are very ample and the bed is really confortable to ensure a good rest. The food at Harry Caray´s is fantastic, you can not miss it !!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you JuanFPerez for your kind words and enjoying our full range of services. We look forward to your future stay and hope that we will be able to provide you with a 5 star experience.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a good hotel if you need to be close to the airport. they provide a free shuttle to the airport and the CTA train station to the city is right across the hotel.. free parking and Wi-Fi. The rooms are of a decent size and clean. Reception desk staff is professional and helpful. the fitness room is adequate . there is a really nice outdoor pool but it is closed during the winter. Bar Louie is on the premises. Overall a good affordable option close to the airport for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Really appreciate you taking the time to let the Tripadvisor community your thoughts and experiences, Nadou123. You highlighted many of our amenities that a lot of guest enjoy on a nightly basis and come back for. Make sure you come back in the summer time to enjoy our outdoor pool!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Came here for my clinical skill exam. The rooms are spacious and well kept. Breakfast was good. Their restaurant/bar serves great food all day. Free parking and wifi too. Staff were helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
I am very pleased that you, Ashmed E, experienced the level service that we provide to every one of our guests. Hope all the studying and rest pays off and we look forward to your future visit.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel as my flight was delayed and American Airlines has given me a voucher for an overnight stay. I just stayed here for a night, therefore my review is not adequate. One thing that really bothered is the staff.

The lady at the from desk (her name starts Ism...) did not provide shuttle to the airport in the morning.

It was clearly mentioned at the front desk they have a shuttle to the Airport for every 15 minutes. When I reached the front desk at 4.14 AM in the morning, she mentioned to me that the shuttle has left which was supposed to leave at 4.15 AM and the next shuttle is only at 5.00 AM. She told me that she would call a cab. Instead of calling a cab, she called a Limo. Why would I need a Limo to go Airport?

After 10 minutes, I could see two shuttle buses parked outside the hotel. Still she did not make an effort to help me. I have to call a cab on my own to catch the flight on time.

I really think management should look into their practices to keep the customers happy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Subbu547,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Taif, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a very cooperative staff who provide a very good service . Complimentary breakfast and free Internet is another advantage. The local train station is nearby and one can comfortably do shopping and business work from here .

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
With us being in the service industry, what you experienced is what we try to portray to all of our guests. A relaxed welcoming enviroment where service is first and foremost. Thank you for seeing that and sharing you thoughts on tripadvisor.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 12 February 2014

For Chicago the hotel was at a reasonable price, everything quite standard in it. There were no real high points but a few low ones:
...old hotel needs a renovation, nothing looked fresh in it at all
...odd breakfast area that looks more like a bar, was not inviting at all, food was OK though
..very busy, lot of people in the lobby most of the time - the reception did quite a good job not having to wait too long

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TRozsa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear TRozsa,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review.

I read with much concern the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and truly sorry for we fell below your standards on most of the services and amenities that we provide. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I am truly sorry if we were not able to deliver this to you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We deeply regret that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#106 of 188 in Chicago
Southwest Side
Quality Inn Midway Airport
Quality Inn Midway Airport
#142 of 188 in Chicago

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!