“Awful experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #131 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Awful guest services. I needed to stay here one night and called multiple times to figure out planning details. I was told something different every time I called so I asked to speak with a manager who confirmed what I needed to hear. Then when I showed up I was told something completely different and nothing was done to try to accommodate. They may have decent facilities but do not know how to treat their guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Amanda M
Michelle R, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
We are sorry to hear you were displeased with our hotel. I would like to recieve more information concerning this matter. If you have the time, please respond through email or by calling me directly. mramirez@lakhanihospitality.com or 773-693-5800

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I would commend the staff in general, but particularly a Ms. Michelle Ramirez, the Front Desk Manager on duty when we checked in. We were a little apprehensive about staying in Chicago and going anywhere. Her patients and tenacity to inform us on how to take the train downtown and things to do was admirable. Ms. Ramirez provided coupons to certain events that turned out to be outstanding attractions and worth seeing. These free coupons resulted in saving us over $150. Without a doubt our stay in Chicago turned out to be a memorable one due to Ms. Ramirez and her knowledge, initiative, motivation, and dependability which contributed to an effective and enjoyable final day of our vacation. Nothing is within walking distance that we saw. We crossed busy street to walk about 2 blocks to downtown train. We ate breakfast buffet at this hotel and it was decent.

Room Tip: Make sure room is not across from elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with. I'm happy I was able to help make your stay in Chicago memorable. We hope to see you again soon.
Lincoln, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stay at Holiday Inns often, both for business and when on vacation. Generally, I’ve found that the bigger and busier the HI, the poorer the service. The HI Chicago O’Hare is no exception. In fact, this was one of the worst stays at an HI I have ever experienced.

First, the location: The only reason I chose to stay at this hotel is because it billed itself as being within easy walking distance of the Blue Line Cumberland train station. Although I would say it was within walking distance, it was a pretty far walk (particularly for my elderly parents), and across a very busy highway exit intersection. “Far” is relative, but this was close to a kilometer away, particularly because the entire area was under construction as well. Even without the construction, it still would have been 10+ minute walk. It was definitely not a convenient location. They do have a shuttle bus that will take you to the blue line station, but it leaves every 45 minutes (more on this later).

Second, service at this hotel ranged from unsatisfactory to very poor. One of the staff was quite rude to my wife upon checking in. Additionally, we had a horrible experience with their shuttle van. We took our parents by the hotel van to the airport as they were leaving a day earlier than us, and was told by the driver that he would pick us up at the arrival area (Gate 5E) a few minutes later. After waiting a few minutes, we called the hotel and asked when the van would pick us up. We were told (staff name was Maria) that it would be within 30 minutes. Half an hour came and went, and I called back again, only to be told by Maria that the van was dropping off some people at departures and would pick us up within 10 minutes. 20 minutes later, I called again, and was told the van would be there within 5-7 minutes. After another 20 or so minutes, I called again and demanded to talk to a manager. The same staff person (Maria) IGNORED my request to put me through to the manager, and told me that the van would be there within 15 minutes. After waiting a few more minutes (we had waited a total of an hour and a half), we gave up and took the train back to the hotel (again having to endure a 15 minute walk through a busy intersection under construction). This occurred on May 31, in the late morning around 11 AM.

As for the rest of the hotel, I would say it was very average. The room was nice and seemed clean, although the bathroom toilet was very noisy. The attached pub had good food, but note there is no complimentary breakfast (the breakfast buffet was about $12 per person and pretty average quality). The good things about this hotel were that the internet connection was very good, and there was a Mariano’s grocery store a 3 minute drive away just north of the intersection. Otherwise, this place was pretty flat.

Staying at this hotel was the low point of our trip to Chicago, and I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TLAM99
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear TLAM99,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you found your room clean and the Internet connection good.

Please accept our sincere apologies the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. Also, I am sorry for the unsatisfactory staff service you have received. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us an avenue to improve our guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the honor to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Booked using points after flight cancellation. Walk in room to find a used towel on floor. Front desk attempted to call housekeeping. I requested another room all together. It was raining hard outside. The 2nd room had water pouring in through wall above window. I had to place towels on top of AC unit to catch all the water. I stayed here before, and expected better.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Mark11204,

Ben J
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We checked in very late, and only stayed for one night, so we were probably in the room for a total of 10 hours. We checked in so late that we got a handicap access room (#327), which was fine. (The bathroom has some bars and a large doorway.)
Overall, it is a Holiday Inn, a hotel with very standard rooms.
The one thing that stood out was the shower. The water pressure was incredible, which was really nice after getting off of a somewhat stressful flight.
The only negative was that the walls may have been a bit thin. We did hear a couple in the next room, um, expressing their feelings for each other. Perhaps they also really liked the shower.

Room Tip: The handicap access rooms are totally fine, and maybe they don't get as much use as the other ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon P
Michelle R, Front Desk Supervisor at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to write this review. We are so glad you were able to relax and enjoy your stay with us. We hope to see you soon.
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel isn't bad. Shuttle driver cracked me up. Weather in Chicago made all the hotels full, but overall service was still good enough. The hotel bar/restaurant is pretty good, actually a really good burger. Beer was cold. Nothing special here, but nothing horrible either.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Scott C,

We continually strive to give great service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we have met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Overall, a very pleasant experience. All of the staff I interacted with were friendly and helpful. The property is easy to get to. Parking was plentiful. The room was always very clean, and averaged size for a hotel. My room had a small refrigerator and microwave, which was handy. The biggest drawback was the mattress, which I believe was at the end of it's useful life. It was acceptable, but nowhere near the nicest hotel mattress I've slept on. Also, bring earplugs...being so close to O'Hare, there is plenty of plane noise. The fitness center was nice, and had enough equipment. Breakfast buffet was average...had some hot items as well as standard breads, etc.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank goalie30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#105 of 187 in Chicago
Southwest Side
Quality Inn Midway Airport
Quality Inn Midway Airport
#145 of 187 in Chicago

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!