“Believe the hype - pie heaven”

Hoosier Mama Pie Company
Ranked #39 of 195 Dessert in Chicago
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I spent 4 days in Chicago and on my final morning, I finally made it out to Hoosier Mama. I was sorry I didn't go on my first day, because I would have been back every day otherwise. I only had room for one piece of pie and went with the coconut cream pie and it was absolutely divine. The lovely girl behind the counter was so helpful with info about the pies, although it made my decision harder, such was the surfeit of deliciousness on display. Do yourself a favour and check out Hoosier Mama when you're in Chicago, you won't regret it.

1  Thank Chris H

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I asked a local librarian (I'm touring and performing in Chicago) where I could get a cup of coffee and he said that right across the street was a local legend- Hoosier Mama's and I'd be making a big mistake if I didn't head right over and get some pie... locals wait in long lines for their legendary pies. Trust your local librarian! I took pictures of the pies (and the prices) to shame my home town pie purveyor. Deciding among the long list of possibilities was the hard part. White chocalate on a Banana Creme pie? Who'd a thunk it? Sublime!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Went to pick up a few pies to take away yesterday and was totally wowed by them. We would have gotten all large pies had they been available but as it was, we got a large chicken tomatillo, a small chicken pot pie, a small Fat Elvis, a small Coconut Cream and a small Funeral Pie, a slice of spinach & caramelized onion quiche, a slice of quiche Luan. It was great to see the kitchen staff performing their magic behind the counter.

My first intimation of things to come was when went to the trunk to take the pies out; I found a piece of crust that had broken off. I have to say that it was one of the lightest, tastiest pie crusts I've ever tasted. We snacked on the quiches, which, again, are probably the best quiches I've ever bought. They were baked to perfection, not underbaked and definitely not overbaked. The two savory pies were wonderful although I do not like potatoes in my pies. My favorite is the chicken tomatillo with just the right touch of 'hot'. I'm not a big dessert pie fan but the Fat Elvis with a graham cracker, peanut, pretzel crust, filled with peanut butter, chocolate and bananas was superb.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Who's crazy enough to drive 500 miles for world class pie? Even the owner sort of tried to half talk me out of the trip and was kind enough to suggest I try a local pie place she admired as an alternative to my pie-apalozza road trip down I 94. But no, a pie hunting I will go. Life's short after all.

I placed a fairly large order of about 12 pies for myself and some people were I work. A variety of pie, a pear, an apple , an orange cream, 3 coconut creams, a fat elvis, 2 chocobanana creams and a pot pie and a lemon merengie and a banana cream .

All the pies were transported five or so hours, 250-300 miles back to detroit intact and safe , their boxes did not crush under the weight of 3 stacked pies. The pies are heavyish but packed in decent pie boxes. None of the pies were eaten until the following day around 12:00PM so about 24 hours after pickup and road trip. (temps were 28-33 degrees that February evening in the trunk the entire trip). They were refrigerated upon arrival.

All the pies were well received , some were shared at work, others taken home to family members with all the pie eaters reporting back somewhere btwn a 7 -9 on a scale of 10 for pieyummyness. Some probably would have hit 10 had they been eaten locally. Some pies didn't get tasted for 3 days and still scored high= 8 plus. So they keep pretty well refrigerated.

Most people thought they were worth the money they paid,perhaps not worth the drive to Chicago just for pie. But better than your typical store bought pies by a long shot, they scored higher than at least three pretty highly rated pie shops in Michigan. Some thought the pies too rich (nonsense, no such thing), and a couple reports of them being a tad too sweet, but your milage may vary by eater and individual baking the pie you may receive. NONE were anywhere near bad or bland and all were devoured.

I think someone was reported licking the bottom of the tin of the orange cream and banana cream pies.

The Orange cream tastes like a creamsickle , there was some debate over the crust type on the pear pie, it's sugar glazed , which tasted good but some thought it should be presented plain, but it still was a good crust. The fruit itself was just right, not to squishy not too firm. The top two scores went to the chocolate banana and the banana cream pies. But again all were good and yes worth the money.

As an aside;
Finding this location was a bit difficult for me at least , I couldn't see the sign for the store.
I drove past 4 times still couldn't find it. I was raining at the time, but my GPS kept telling me where it was, the address was someplace between wood and ashland but darn if I could find it. Since it was raining all the parking on western was taken , so I had to park a couple of streets west and hoof it a block past the walgreens,I only got panhandled once in the 1700 block. (bus to shelter story). And wouldn't you know it by the time I got to the store after parking on a side street some parking opened up closer to the smell of pies wafting down western. I circled the block 4 times and after I park...there's a closer spot. (luck of the draw).

When I arrived the pies were ready as promised they ran my visa,(they made 12 pies without a deposit? pretty trusting) bagged them in 4 bags of 3 each plus the mini fat elvis I snagged out of the showcase. They even offered to help me shuttle the pies to my car. However I didn't want one of their staff to walk 2 blocks in the pouring rain past the handlers of pan , so I managed to run the bags out in two separate runs without their kindness and with no further loss of loose change. Still it was very kind to ask.

Paula, thanks for the reply to my email and phone call confirming the pie due dates.
Would I road trip it again?, yes but next time I'm asking more for gas money and snagging at least one slice and a coffee to go. I'll just eat it in backed up traffic on the Dan Ryan.

Enjoy your pie.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Amazing pie. Not sure what else to say about it. You won't be disappointed. I never made it out to one of their pie flights on Friday nights and that is one of my regrets about leaving Chicago.