“Random night out”

Kingston Mines
Ranked #3 of 572 Nightlife in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kingston Mines is a blues music nightclub with 2 rooms, 2 stages and 2 bands & live music all night, 365 nights/year. We're the home of Doc's Rib Joint with ribs, wings & more right in the heart of beautiful Lincoln Park, on Chicago's North Side. Looking for a venue to host your next party or get together? Kingston Mines is the perfect venue for large or small groups alike! Ask about our party plans.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Loved that there were two bands alternating. Students and Teachers get in free with proper ID!

Great music, decent (some great) food and ambience! The crowd is older though, so mainly people in late 20s and up

Good place to while away some time.

1  Thank solo g
"visit chicago"
"stages"
in 156 reviews

Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's always been a favourite but I was stunned when my taxi driver was struggling to find it. I asked how long had he been a taxi driver and where did he come from and he replied "yesterday" and he came from Kingston, Jamaica. It just seemed so strange that a visitor from Australia had to show a local taxi driver how to find an institution.
But once we got there, it was all worth it. Love the atmosphere, great entertainers playing great music.

1  Thank RonWamberal
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great atmosphere; great performers and great music. "Authentic" feel. Fans of the blues will not be disappointed! Try to see Billy Branch!

1  Thank Anderida
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My daughter and I was expecting a traditional down home blues bar and unfortunately what you get is a "white" rendition of a blues bar. Please excuse if I am offending anyone. The blues music was great but not old fashioned blues with the great blues riff. I have been to dozens of Blues Festivals in So. Cal so I know the Blues. Perhaps I was not expecting more upbeat blues. We saw Big James and the Chicago Playboys. He had good vocals and played the horn really well...just not what I expected but still very good. When we first walked in nothing was going on in either rooms. And no one directed us or greeted us to tell us were to go. At first we sat in the main room but nothing was going on just some people at the bar. But then we noticed this smaller room and that is were the pre show is. Joanna Conner was the warm up band and she was pretty good, but again not traditional blues. It got really packed. Then her act started wrapping up and we noticed people were moving to the main room. That were we saw Big James. We were exhausted from work so we only stayed for one set. As we left we noticed that there were a lot more people wanting to get in. There was a lot of people over drinking so maybe that's what attracts people to this bar. I would like to give this place another chance and the music was good but just not the old blues I wanted for the evening.

2  Thank nativecalifornian