Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
100% Recommended

I was in an hostel near Kingston Mines, and the staff recommended me this place. It was my first... read more

Reviewed 28 August 2021
Rafael I
via mobile
Excellent

Outstanding music/artists. Nice authentic blues vibe atmosphere. Great staff all the way around... read more

Reviewed 4 July 2021
678vikkic
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Chicago
from US$38.15
from US$40.00
from US$27.00
from US$18.00
More Info
All reviews blues club chicago blues cover charge joanna connor blues fan stages legend jazz
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 May 2017

This place now reeks of a seemingly mega-corporate contrived "blues" bar concept in a desperate attempt to lure unsuspecting/naive tourists into thinking they are getting a blues bar experience by pandering to tourists and lazily playing top 40. A true shame since this WAS a true blues experience with true legacy blues when I used to frequent it years ago. Now it looks like they excel at PR/marketing more than a great customer experience.

The music was funk, R & B at best??? You'd be hard pressed to claim the litany of top 40 hits they had the band play by Prince, Tracy Chapman, and James Brown... are blues.

When I asked when they'll start playing some actual blues, one of the (managers?) told me those top 40 songs are blues, and that as a white person, I have no right to question a black man about blues.

Oh, I almost forgot...they also went reggae and rock. I appreciate all genres of music, but when you market yourself as real blues and as an authentic blues bar, you expect to hear actual blues. SEVERAL staff told me they don't understand why they play so much rock or funk and that a lot of people leave disappointed. I love pizza but if I go to a steak house and order a steak and they bring me pizza (even though I love pizza) I'm going to feel ripped off and duped. Tourists that don't know any better walk away thinking "wow I heard blues!" because they were in a bar that tells them they are hearing blues???

The place was depressingly void of a crowd and now I understand why. Those are my opinions/takeaways, and my advice is if you're going to go to a questionable place/part of town and buy mediocre overpriced drinks in a filthy establishment, and just hear top 40 music and rock that you can hear in any town USA, do it back home and try to give yourself the opportunity to experience genuine blues somewhere else in Chicago.

2  Thank ricktravels2000
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Came to Chicago to hear blues music. Liked the venue but the music was a bit too rock like for my taste. Would have preferred more authentic blues. But, it was a good night regardless

2  Thank stelkyriacou
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Great place, great environment and great music. Staff are very friendly so are the bands. I didn't try the food but they have a large selection of drinks.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

One of the best blue bar in Chicago. They play everyday, all styles of blues, changing room every other hour with a different group. Food is ok. Depending on the group performing, the entrance fee can be high... On Sundays, you can enter B.L.U.E.S Chicago just in front a little bit further south with the same ticket. Music is really good and it is becoming really busy during weekends.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

We arrived at about 9pm and were able to get seats at the table. The band plays between two stages in the venue. It was absolutely packed on a Saturday night but a super fun vibe! Reasonable drink prices for the city too.