“One in a million experience”
Review of Andy's Jazz Club

Andy's Jazz Club
Ranked #9 of 572 Nightlife in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Chicago's Best-Known and Most-Respected Jazz establishments, historic Andy's offers casually sophisticated dining with a musical menu of Chicago's top Jazz Artists. Local performers cover a range of styles from Traditional and Swing to Bop, Fusion, Latin and Afro-Pop. Our "Spotlight Performer Series" events showcase some of today's most "in demand" world touring musicians in an intimate setting.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

So you go to this Jazz club a few blocks from your hotel after the last night of Bluesfest in Chicago, immediately after Dr John closes with a typical night of bliss performance. You pop in, get insulted by doorman who tells you it's policy that you have to spend at least 20 bucks, or eat or some idiotic policy he was forced to tell you. You go in, order wings and pizza, and it's amongst the best you've ever tasted. You have a few beers (2 I think), then the waitress tells you you're too loud; this isn't that kind of venue. You're mortified, but the music is way above average. Finally you've stewed enough, ask for the manager because of the door policy, the waitress, but it's the waitress that comes back to make nice. She's afraid for her job; it's that obvious. She explains that if the musicians can hear your voice at all while they're playing (super loud, btw...amplified), they complain to the waitresses. You make up, and it's good now. They have management issues; it's obvious (they wouldn't tell them to insult visitors at the door and within the club if they didn't have management issues), so you let it all go and take in this borderline sensational music. The trumpet player is SUBLIME (turns out he's the host). Then it REALLY get's interesting. Host identifies and welcomes Reggie Jackson (Dr John's drummer) and Ben Alleman (organ/keyboards) from Dr John's Night Trippers and lets them know they're VERY welcome on stage. The music was ALREADY FANTASTIC, but they jump up on stage anyway and again, it's just sublime.

Obviously I'm not overly thrilled with the service, but explanations and policies are explained, but GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY if this is how it's going to be when I visit Chicago, then I will never miss going to ANDY's, EVER!
Work on the game kids, because you have a GREAT thing going there.....

2  Thank Rink64
in 6 reviews
"audience"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've visited this bar/club on nearly every visit to Chicago and I never fail to enjoy the experience!

Jazz music for all tastes, good food for all tastes and a fantastic "feel good" atmosphere. I've visited during late afternoon, mid-evening and late at night - the place is always consistent and I look forward to returning on future visits to Chicago.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Great spot to listen to jazz...very cool vibe and atmosphere-people really get into the music...decor is laid back too
Staff are very attentive and take good care of you
We had dinner which was good but portion size vs price versus value falls short, especially when you drop 150 for dinner and still paid a 15 dollar cover charge. Musicians need to be paid and I am supportive of that but if I am paying 23-30 dollars per entree I should get a better overall experience.
Because the bands play different sets, tables are max 2 hour time limit so check the website
We-d go back for the tunes and a drink but prob not to eat.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I can't think of a better combination than listening to a jazz band while dining. We celebrated our anniversary in Chicago and this night was the best! Our dinner was excellent and the music was entertaining and authentic. Andy's will definitely be one of our favorite clubs to revisit on future trips to Chicago.

1  Thank agranier
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We wanted to hear some great jazz music while we had a drink and a bite to eat, and this place delivered. We arrived just after the first set, which was perfect, as we were able to order our food and drinks, then settle in and enjoy the music. We had a great table near the front and didn't feel crowded or rushed. Our server was attentive and friendly. The food was surprisingly good. The music was absolutely fantastic. I would highly recommend this place and would definitely go back if I'm ever in Chicago again.