“Spend the night at the Elysian, and you will find any excuse to stay here again!”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #9 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 31 March 2011

My husband and I stayed here for the very first time on our wedding weekend in July of 2010. Our stay was so luxurious and amazing that we will be back again and again to celebrate anything and everything we can make an excuse for (even though we live in the Chicago area). We were already back again in March to celebrate hubby's birthday, and received a special birthday treat from the pastry chef (I didn't even ask for it)! Small gestures such as these, full of kindness and attention to detail, will keep us coming back to the Elysian for years to come.

Reviewed 29 March 2011

I booked a free night I had been given at the hotel as a celebration for my Mother's 85th birthday. We were both treated like royalty by the impeccable staff who not only remembered our names and the occasion, but went out of their way to make my Mother feel as if she was their only guest. The executive suite was gorgeous - albeit without much of a view on our side of the hotel. The no-tipping policy was disconcerting because this is a staff that deserves to be tipped. However, we were assured that they are well taken care of by management. The staff was genuinely nice and not artificial in their kindness and helpfulness. The food at the bistro was quite good, again with impeccable service. I look forward to another stay at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Every moment of our stay here was wonderful....the staff is very welcoming and helpful, the hotel in every detail is beautiful...we loved our stay here! They have a complimentary driver who will take you anywhere in the city you would like to go, which is a real treat! The rooms that we had adjoined and were very spacious (one had a fireplace) and the bathrooms were gorgeous; no detail has been overlooked! We also used the workout area which is also very well done with great equipment . Thank you, Elysian for coming to Chicago and giving us a world class place to stay...we will definately come back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Let me start off by saying this is a fine hotel and my rating is based on a comparison to other hotels at this price point.

My qualm with recommending this hotel lies in the price point. For the rack rate, better options abound in Chicago. This hotel just seems to be missing the small details that make a luxury hotel luxury. The hotel desperatley wants to be a luxury hotel, but I find their efforts wanting. I much prefer the understated and confident luxury of other well known luxury hotels in the city-especially those with a longer track record who have proven year after year to be able to meet the expectations of a decerning traveller.

There are two elevators servicing all floors, and they are s-l-o-w. I frequently waited upwards of 5-7 minutes per trip, and then had to stop at each floor to which other guests were travelling, making the total commute time from lobby to my room upwards of 10-15 minutes each leg. This adds up, particularly when you add in the unusually slow service at the front desk.

And while the bathrooms are nice, there are no towel bars or even a hook on which to hang a towel when coming out of the shower. Details like this should not be overlooked in a hotel that charges this much.

Again, I realize these are minute details, but when booking a luxury hotel, I expect these details to be noticed, not passed over.

Overall, a very pleasant hotel, but not one that I will go out of my way to stay at again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank b1green
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and interest in writing about your recent stay with us. We use feedback such as yours and others to evaluate the achievement of our service promise.

I apologize for the elevator wait you experienced. While we strive for excellence at all levels, including elevator speed, it was clear we fell short of expectations and our engineering team has now been tasked with ensuring proper speed. We are also looking to add an additional bathrobe hook adjacent to the shower for convenience. While you consider these points to be minute details, we consider them missed opportunities to serve you with a flawless stay.

I will connect with you privately and seek a chance to speak with you in hopes of restoring your confidence to the point of earning a return visit.

Regards,
Kevin Robinson

Reviewed 24 March 2011

The Elysian is a very recent (2009) 60 story hotel. The premier gold coast suites feature a balcony, a fireplace on the living room, 2 HD TVs, and an incredible room with a very confortable bed and you can even choose the type of pillow that you want, simply 5*. There is also a very nice restaurant (Ria) and bar (Bernard’s). The SPA (at least on the men’s side) features a 20m pool, massage rooms, steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi, and is one of the best I have ever seen. And if you’re feeling lazy and don’t want to shave, there is a great barber service on the 4th floor that will make you feel. And a word for the staff, who were absolutely amazing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2011

If you're in need of feeling pampered, adored, and utterly cared for, or if you simply want confirmation that yes, you are the only guest on the planet, this is the hotel for you. Clearly the staff have had extensive training coupled with ongoing excellent leadership, as I felt warmly welcomed from the moment the driver (whom Conceirge arranged) met me at the airport. The Elysian team intuitively understand how a guest wants to feel (special), and they certainly made every effort to ensure I felt like the princess I know I am. My room was astonishingly large, gorgeous, and sound-proof. The main bathroom was surely designed and decorated by someone who appreciates bubble baths for two, a shower large enough to wash the kids and the dog at the same time (okay, I don't have a dog and I didn't bring my son, but the shower is a fabulous size), a private area for one's personal business, and double sinks spaced far enough away from each other that while I'm applying eye liner, my man isn't elbowing me while he shaves. And there are electrical outlets on the walls of each sink (often there is only one outlet). The large balconly off the living room and windows in the bedroom which open allowed for fresh air when desired. The food - Oh, the FOOD - was not only beautifully presented, it was "nobody-is-looking-so-let-me-lick-the-plate" delicious. The gym was sparkling clean with state-of-the-art equipment, and the business centre was extremely helpful. My "drug of choice" dealer (Starbucks chai latte) is right around the corner; all the very best shops are within 5-7 minutes of walking, and yet you're off the beaten track of tourists (a huge plus). I could go on, but you get the idea. Seriously, what are you waiting for? Book your stay with this exquisite boutique hotel, and get ready to be welcomed with love.

2  Thank LovesLuxury2011
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I had a free night's stay and was treated like a king! All was great, extras were memorable (fireplace in room, walk in shower, offer of free morning newspaper, free coffee delivery to room, very tasty snacks available in the bar, a staff that not only always remembered my name but they refused a tip!)

1  Thank johnbridges