“By far probably the nicest hotel in Chicago”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Baldwin Park, California
“By far probably the nicest hotel in Chicago”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I was in Chicago for business and stayed at the Elysian. It has been the best hotel experience I ever had. Everything from the room to hotel staff was better than first class. Let me start with the room. I was staying at the gold coast suite (the least expensive suite). Everything about the suite was done to the perfection from decorations to linens to accessories. Every room has fireplace (which would be great in the winter). I loved the balcony. The bathroom had to sinks, extra large soaking tub, large shower, and even a TV build into a mirror. The list of nice amenities in the room can go on and on.
As far as the service, it was nothing but first class. Starting from arrival to recommendations, all the way to follow up. Everyone that I interacted at Elysian was nothing but helpful. As I was checking out I mentioned that for some odd reason the maid opened and set up a sofa bed (I was staying alone and didn't ask for it). It was not a big deal at all. Just a little oddity. The day after I checked out I received a call from one of the managers apologizing for misunderstanding.
The hotel is on expensive side but experience is well worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Just a few blocks from the lake, the neighborhood has tons of great shopping and restaurants. The hotel itself is wonderfully appointed. I stayed in a Gold Coast suite which was beyond spacious complete with a fireplace, living room, bar, massive walk-in closet, huge bathroom with separate tub, and 2 TV's. The staff is warm and welcoming. The spa, pool, and gym were great. Internet is free. Worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Adelaide
Reviewed 11 October 2011

All the excellent reviews are correct as this hotel excels in every level.

My husband, 8yr old daughter and I were pleasantly upgraded to a larger suite than the one we booked and the ambience and decor of the rooms in this hotel are gorgeous!

We have stayed in 5* hotels all over the world so it is a big call to say this is now our number one choice of hotels ever!
From the staff who are friendly, helpful and genuinely nice to the bedlinens, bath ammenities, iphone docking station, attention to detail in the decorating...everthing they have done is top class. The hotel is also in a great location and handy to the best shopping.

We have just finished a cruise on a 6* Seabourn line and I can honestly say that the staff at this hotel are a step up from the ship. My husband has badly injured his back on the ship and the hotel staff at the Elysian have been excellent with helping us with an in house doctor, Dr Richard K, who was equally professional and nice, and with all our faxing and paperwork dealing with our travel insurance. Nothing seems to be too much bother for them.

Also like to thank the hotel for the special touches with our daughter, such as the freshly baked cookies and milk before bedtime.

I would highly recommend this hotel to all travellers and cannot wait to return when we visit USA next time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I surprised my husband with a trip to Chicago for his 30th birthday. I noted this when I made the hotel reservation. We arrived at The Elysian at about 9am Friday morning. Upon checking in, several members of the staff actually made it a point to say Happy Birthday to my husband. Our room was ready right away and we were told we'd been upgraded to a Deluxe Suite! One of the staff members met us at our room to show us around. All I can about the room is WOW! So gorgeous. Everything about the hotel exudes a classy, timeless quality. Our room had a huge terrace with a fantastic view of the city. The bathroom is beyond words. The bed and bedding......heaven! After being in our room about an hour, a member of the staff delivered a handwritten note and a chocolate bar from the General Manager wishing my husband a Happy Birthday. They really do think of everything here! Every member of the staff is so polite and respectful. They have a way of making you feel like you're the only guest. The location is perfect.....just a couple blocks from Michigan Ave., etc. If you're traveling within a 2 mile radius of the hotel, the hotel offers use of a complimentary Lexus.....so convenient! Overall, we had such a wonderful experience. Thank you to The Elysian for making my husband's birthday weekend so special! We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Join iPrefer and get a complimentary upgrade if available
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Belated birthday wishes to your husband. I’m so pleased you thought of us for this surprise celebration. Thank you for your kind comments about our guest room accommodations, the team’s demeanor and convenience of location. I hope you’ll contact me when planning a return getaway weekend, I’d be delighted to assist with your reservation.

krobinson@elysianhotels.com
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Wouldn't be fair to hold this against them so I haven't in my rating but....when you pay top dollar and expect the best, staff have to be careful not to disappoint. I had a long wait at check in. When it was my turn to check in one of the staff left leaving only one to attend to guests. Had to ask for them to bring out more staff which they did....but after flying half way around the world I didn't want to be managing their front desk. Beautiful suites, great location - walk to magnificent mile, nice staff. Wish their Michelin starred restaurant opened on Sundays as well as their bar.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read about your long wait upon check-in. Your expectations are right on the mark and I apologize we disappointed just as you arrived. I have reviewed our staffing at the front desk to ensure we have the highest service levels at all times.

RIA and Bernards are indeed closed on Sunday's however I hope we were able to welcome you to Balsan during your stay.

If you plan a return to Chicago, I hope you'll contact me directly. I'd be delighted to assist with a reservation and introduce myself. Thank you for your balanced report on us.

Calumet, Michigan
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Let me start off with saying that we've never stayed in a five star hotel before. We can only compare the Elysian to hotels with fewer amenities. We were looking for a hotel with a great location and one that was more than a place to sleep. This was our first ever family vacation together and we wanted it to be special and unforgettable. We looked at four star hotels and were going to book one of those. They were more in our price range yet still had adequate amenities. Then I looked at the Elysian and read through almost every review on TripAdvisor. At that point, I was hooked. This was the hotel for us.

We prepaid in advance and received a substantial discount on our room (Executive Suite). I also signed up for iPrefer (iPrefer.com - free membership) in hopes of a complimentary upgrade. We arrived to the hotel quite early, but were able to drop off our luggage. We were even offered a ride to our first destination in the complimentary Lexus (it is available for trips less than 2 miles). After sightseeing for a while, we returned to the hotel to see if our room was ready. It was about an hour before normal check-in time and it was ready. We also received a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe Suite and our luggage was already in our room.

Shortly after settling ourselves in our room, the doorbell rang. A gentleman presented our son with a welcome treat and also presented all of us a note from the general manager of the hotel. My son already loved the hotel, but the treat sealed the deal forever.

The room was fantastic. Since I heavily researched the Elysian in advance, I knew what to expect but actually being there exceeded every expectation of the rooms. The Deluxe Suite was very large with plenty of room for the three of us. I have stayed in Chicago a few times before in other hotels and did not sleep well due to outside noise. That was not an issue with this hotel. The room was nice and quiet.

We were treated with respect and courtesy by the Elysian staff everywhere we went. I have to admit that I was a little nervous to stay at the Elysian since we've never stayed at a hotel of this calibur before. That nervousness was eased with every interaction with the staff. Every service-related business should strive to have employees such as those at the Elysian. They are truly special and top-notch!

We ate at the Balsan one night and had room service one morning. Both meals were great and again the service was first-rate. My only regret is that we didn't eat at the hotel more often during our trip to try more of the offerings.

The Elysian has so many wonderful things going for it. It deserves every accolade it has received thus far and I expect it to receive many more. Our stay was unforgettable - exactly what we had hoped. If we ever find ourselves in Chicago again, we will definitely stay at the Elysian!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank keweenawfree
Ontario, canada
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Great place! Polite, accommodating staff, very attentive !!
Close to Rush St., great restaurants, jazz bars, just couple blocks from Mag Mile.
Spotless rooms. I would stay here again, in a heartbeat.
We had a Girls Getaway to Chicago ! Hope to bring the boys the next time!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Guest,
Please let me know when you want to send the boys over to the hotel. I’ll look forward to welcoming them and introducing them to things to do in our neighborhood. It was great to read your comments – thank you for sharing. I’m so pleased you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel.