“Spectacular hotel for special occasions”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #10 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My family stayed at this hotel one night after a week in Chicago. I try to only stay in Hilton hotels. This by far is top of the line as expected. The rooms were spacious and elegant. Each room has a private terrace which is nice. The furniture in the room was comfy and amenities were beyond belief. The fireplace came in handy for the cold weather. Best of all was the spa experience. With this being said, I would probably only stay at this hotel again for special occasions.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank LGTraveler953
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear LGTraveler953,
We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay with us, as well as your loyalty to the Hilton Brand of Hotels. We are thrilled you enjoyed your room, the terrace, and especially our Elysian Spa. We can’t wait to welcome you back on you next special occasion!
Tel: (312)-646-1300

Write a ReviewReviews (2,417)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel is simply the best in Chicago. I've stayed here twice now and every time it's perfect. Not cheap but well worth a stay

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank steve s

Dear steve S,
It is always a pleasure to welcome you back at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed again your stay with us.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

From the moment we arrived in the stylish foyer of the Waldorf Astoria, we were treated with the utmost grace. Smiling, willing staff made us feel very at home. Stylish decor which funnily enough was very similar (a hotel version) to our own house also made us feel very at home! The beds were incredibly comfortable, the room spacious, the location perfect. My only complaints would be the lack of turndown service at night (I do always look forward to a chocolate on my pillow at night in hotels) and that the yoghurt/Musli ordered for breakfast was far too sweet (however I do find most things in America too sweet, so I guess this is normal). Loved Chicago, loved the hotel - we would highly recommend that you don't even bother looking elsewhere! Perfection.

5  Thank katstrov

Dear Katstrov,
Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay with us, and especially with regards to our staff who made you feel at home. Our team is our biggest asset.
Please accept my apology that you did not receive turndown during your stay. We do attempt to provide daily service twice to each room, and your comments are invaluable as we tweak our processes. We currently do not provide chocolates on the pillows, however it is something we will consider.
We have also shared your feedback with regards to the yogurt parfait with our chef for his review.
It will be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago in the very near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I came here for the weekend to celebrate her birthday and stayed at the Waldorf Astoria. Although the King Standard room was nice and spacious, we were a little disappointed in the lack of amenities provided to us as Hilton Honors Diamond members. This is the first Hilton location that we weren’t even provided a bottle of water at check-in or in the room; or a complementary breakfast.

I realize that I’m a little spoiled with my hotels as I average about 150 nights per year (with work and vacation). I typically don’t stay in hotels that are over $150 per night work…and NEVER stay at hotels over $125 for vacation unless I use my “valuable” Hilton Honors or Marriott Rewards points. I’m not into status…but I love perks! A FREE breakfast, Executive Lounge or a “cheap” bottle of wine for my wife’s birthday go a long way with us!! Unfortunately, all we got for 70,000 points per night was a nice note from the hotel manager wishing my wife a Happy Birthday. (Please don’t get me wrong…we appreciated that gesture, but was hoping for something much more from the #1 Hotel in Chicago.)

The spa area was enjoyable with a large weight room, palates room and small pool. Each locker room has a Hot Tub, Steam Room and Sauna. The showers are clean and private with large, soft white towels. There is also a “TV room” in each locker room with comfortable chairs, cool water stations and small dried fruits and nuts.

If you love spending $450 per night at a hotel…this is your place! If you’d prefer access to a Concierge Level for free breakfast and snacks (with a savings of several hundred dollars), you might want to choose the Conrad or Hilton.

15  Thank MocNJen
ElysianHotel, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear MocNJen,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your wife's birthday, as well as redeem your valuable Hilton Honors points.
Please accept my apologies for the inconsistencies and lack of amenities you experienced during your stay with us. I would like the opportunity to speak to you at your convenience at 312 646 1300.

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com

Reviewed 27 May 2012

We decided to celebrate my birthday in Chicago at the Waldorf-Astoria because we had heard it was probably the best hotel in the city. Oh, yes, we also had Hilton certificates for two free room nights. Even though our stay was gratis, we were treated graciously upon arrival and received a two-room upgrade to a large suite on the 26th floor. The great thing about Hilton properties is that you are treated like a guest who is paying full price even when you are staying on points or certificates. The front desk staff even wished me a happy birthday when we checked in.

The two-room and bath suite, that included distinct entry foyers and a hallway closet area, felt like a small apartment. There was also a slider that opened to a small patio from which narrow slices of Lake Michigan could be seen. While the view was terrific, acrophobics might recoil from the minimalist construction of the small terrace that hangs like a narrow shelf over the street far below.

Furnishings and interior architecture were exceptional with an appealing blend of traditional and contemporary forms and surfaces. We noticed many of the fine details that make the hotel distinctive, like original art in most of the rooms. The oversize bathroom was appealing in many ways, but the soaking tub embraced by a carrara marble surround was especially luxurious. Guests will love to pamper themselves here. Oh, did I forget to mention the TV that can be viewed through the mirror over the sinks?

We only encountered few problems with the room. As soon as we entered we noted the smell of gas, most likely coming from the fireplace pilot light. We probably should have called the front desk, but when we opened the terrace door the smell was not as troublesome. Only after we checked out did my wife admit how disturbing the gas odor was. If management wants to check this out, we stayed in 2610.

Another problem was a vexing one that I have found at most every Hilton property: the lack of genuine temperature control. The thermostat could be dialed down only to 65 degrees, but the room never got below 69. On the Saturday and Sunday we were in Chicago it was 90 degrees. The room was far too hot to sleep comfortably. Friends in the hospitality industry have told us that the management at some hotels place “governors” on heating and cooling systems to control costs. But when you are paying $600 a night at a Waldorf Astoria hotel, it seems that you should be able to dial the temperature up or down as far as you want.

The absence of a coffee maker was also notable. I cannot recall the last time that I was in hotel room that did not include a coffee maker, and that includes Waldorf properties. The mini-bar and icemaker were great features, but I wondered what I was supposed to heat in the microwave oven? Shaving cream or body oils, perhaps. Does the hotel think that someone paying $600 for a room is going to get some Lean Cuisine and eat in? Suggestion to management: Get rid of the microwave and use the cabinet space to create a pullout shelf for a coffee maker.

We dined in the hotel’s restaurants and bar on two occasions and found the food excellent and very reasonably priced. The bartenders and wait staff were exceptional. But when we went to the bar and restaurant area for a drink and snack on the Sunday afternoon of our stay, we found it taken over by a large and noisy United Airlines group. We could not get into the bar and had to go elsewhere. Management should have been more thoughtful and considerate by putting this group in a meeting room rather than create a situation where its own guests could not even use the hotel’s facilities.

Hotel service is the most distinctive hotel feature, as it should be for a five-star property. The hotel staff is friendly, competent, and very well trained. We were extended some personal courtesies that I should probably not mention here, but I can say that when faced with a Sunday of closed venues in the city, due to the NATO summit, the concierge suggested a lovely walk north of the hotel along historic Astor Avenue and Lincoln Park. And when we checked out, three staff members assisted us with our luggage to our cab.

This is a terrific hotel but discriminating guests may discover shortcomings that even the best management will overlook or not think important. We have found similar situations at other four and five star properties, so the Waldorf Chicago is in pretty good company.

6  Thank ovando

Dear Ovando,
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago and for your detailed review of our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies with regards to the inconsistencies of your stay, especially with regards to the gas odor in your room and the temperature controls. Your feedback has allowed us to check this room and ensure the issues are rectified.
Due to comments such as yours with regards to a coffee maker in the room we have planned an installation of coffee makers in July of this year for the convenience of our guests; however, prior to this date we can certainly install a coffee maker at the guest's request.
I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay further at your convenience. I can be contacted at 312 646 1300 and look forward to the opportunity to speaking to you directly.

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com

Reviewed 24 May 2012

In Chicago for business and pleasure a fair amount. The Waldorf has surpassed the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, The Peninsula in my view. Terrific service, smaller hotel, easy to get around and wonderful rooms with larger bathrooms and very comfortable beds. Great location with wonderful access to Michigan Ave., and other sites in Chicago.

Came in from the Airport and needed a suit pressed and turn around in 60 minutes. They picked it up and had it back in my room in fifteen minutes. Staff is over the top helpful. My 4th stay here and I was automatically upgraded to a suite.

Food is very good. Bar is a gathering space, dark but very comfortable with great service. The hotel is unique and sharp. My kids would call it hip.....I call it a welcome addition to the high end in Chicago. You really need to try it...and this is coming from a very loyal Four Seasons customer.

Room Tip: Upper flows are a tad bit less noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank BTrun78

Dear Btrun78,
Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your visits to Chicago for business and pleasure. We appreciate your comments with regards to our guests rooms, staff and service, as well as Bernard’s Bar and the quality of our food. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I absolutely LOOOOOVED this hotel. The room was fantastic with a large, clean, crisp and insanely comfortable bed. The staff was beyond superb; they were friendly welcoming and made me feel like a princess. It is absolutely my favorite hotel in Chicago. The location is spectacular too and I loved everything about our stay. I hope to go back! (someday very soon!)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LuxLyfe

Dear LuxLyfe,

We are thrilled you loved your stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We are very honored that we made you feel like a princess! Our entire team looks forward to creating another memorable stay for you in the near future.