“Wonderful property, and service to match!”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #12 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Champaign, Illinois
“Wonderful property, and service to match!”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Cannot say enough wonderful things! We spent Saturday night and had a wonderful time. We had reserved one suite and our other room was upgraded to a suite. It was our 27 year old son's birthday, and the room made the Chicago trip even more special.

The quality of this hotel is pervasive throughout!

Will definitley be back. Thank you.

Room Tip: I think any room would be great! Suites give you lots of space.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Champaign1
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Champaign1,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your son’s birthday this past Saturday. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suites and that you would love to visit us again. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to personalize your next visit, hopefully in the very near future.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The Waldorf Astoria is a stunning hotel in a wonderful location! We had a very spacious room with sitting area, fireplace, and a beautifully stocked bar complete with ice. The property is one of the best locations in Chicago. During our stay, we walked a few short blocks down the street for afternoon tea and all the shopping one could want.
I cannot say enough regarding the impecable service. Everyone, from the staff at Bernard's Bar, to the driver of the hotel car, did an outstanding job!
Well deserving of the #1 hotel in Chicago, and their spot on the "World's Best" list.

4 Thank p0tter32
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear p0tter32,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City and for your positive feedback with regard to your experience. I am excited to read that you find the hotel’s location ideal and that you found your suite comfortable, warm and welcoming. I truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our service standards. Feedback like yours inspires our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. I will certainly share your remarks with the rest of the team.
We can’t wait to our next opportunity to serve you, hopefully in the very near future!

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Perfect location! Excellent hotel. Staff was wonderful! Rooms incredible! My family was impressed with all the amenities. My favorite part is I didn't have to reach in my pocket to give tips, it was included in the room rate.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Thomas D
Dear Thomas D,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We truly value your feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location, your room with all of its unique amenities, and our no tipping policy. Also, thank you for your kind words regarding our service team. It’s rewarding to read that we were able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back when your travels next bring you to Chicago!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago on January 24. The hotel is beautiful, and the rooms place the hotel among Chicago's finest. Mine had a gas fireplace, lighting control, and an extravagant marble bath with very large walk in shower. The hotel let me check in early, and the internet was included in the room rate.

I have several criticisms, however. When I arrived, the doorman was not paying attention to the fact that I was coming through the revolving door and offered no assistance with the door. I received a luke warm greeting from him. Upon approaching the desk, I did have to wait for a couple of minutes before checking in, and noticed that the gentleman helping me had a slightly loosened tie and no collar stays. This cannot be the apparel standard. The service was friendly, but not at the level of Four Seasons.

During my stay, I ordered room service twice. On my first day, I ordered a burger medium rare. It arrived medium, and extremely salty. The fries had been sitting for awhile - they were stale. The second time I ordered late night pasta bolognese - small bowl, delivered luke warm, but the bread was nice. Overall mediocre food quality and value.

The day I left, I was working in my room and sought to signal my request for privacy to the housekeeping staff. There were no doorknob cards requesting "do not disturb" but there was a deadbolt latch under the knob that clearly said on a label to use it to ensure privacy. I figured it would signal to the staff to not bother me. Instead, I was interrupted twice - once by housekeeping staff, and the next time by room service staff seeking to clear the tray from my room from the night before. In this instance, the attendant rang the doorbell incessantly until I answered. Very frustrating. I mentioned this upon checkout, and the front desk attendant explained that there is a signal button on the light switch. This is so easy to miss - particularly if the lights are off and you cannot read the labels on the numerous buttons on the lighting control panel. One must be told about this in order to know about it.

In all, I found the service at the hotel to be in contrast to the quality of the room. The food was pretty bad, and I experienced sub-par staff for a hotel like this. These people could have just as easily been at the O'Hare Hilton as the Waldorf Astoria and that needs to be fixed. I will probably not stay here again when there are other similarly priced options with truly perfect staffing - namely Four Seasons, Peninsula, and even The James.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank peterbnewyork
WAChicago, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear peterbnewyork,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your most recent business trip into Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the room’s décor and its different amenities.

However, I am terribly sorry for the inconsistencies in the quality of our service throughout your visit, especially in regard to your check in process, room service and housekeeping.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again in the future. I can be contacted at kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1404.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Surprised my wife for her milestone birthday with a trip to Chicago. Granted it was in January, but when you are staying at The Waldorf Astorica does it really make a difference? It may have been cold in the windy city, but the fireplace in the room and warm staff made it extremely comfortable. Our trip started a few days prior to actually leaving as I was contact by my very own personal concierge, Da, who asked me what she could do to make this a special getaway weekend. She was delightful and helpful. She planned what we should be doing and critiqued the dining and nightlife establishments I was planning on taking my wife. She met us at check-in and said that eventhough she was off the next couple of days, Judson can assist. I have not had much success on pass logs at hotel, given the next day was the big surprise for my wife- the hotel was to enter our room while we have a couples massage, and decorate the room with gifts and suprises that I planned. Needless to say, they did not skip a beat. The couples massage, first time we have had one, was fantastic. Truly a luxurious and relaxing experience at the spa. Highly recommend the spa and fitness facilities. The hotel is truly stunning and the location, on the magnificent mile, is unparalleled. My wife labled this weekend as her Birthday Spectacular,and the Waldorf helped make this happen. Highly recommend. Can't wait to visit in the spring/summer. I heard the architecture boat tours are phenomenal.

2 Thank Jkratch
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Jkratch,

Thank you for selecting the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that the team was able to make your wife’s birthday extra special and that you both enjoyed the hotel’s different amenities, especially the Spa and Fitness Club. Thank you for your kind comments in regard to Da and Judson. They are indeed a great asset to our team. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the staff. We truly value your loyalty and will be looking forward to our next opportunity to make another future special occasion more memorable for you and your wife.

USA
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Excellent property and flawless service. There are many outstanding hotels in Chicago but this is certainly in the top three. The design is beautiful and one of the most shocking elements is the sound insulation of the rooms. We had a room right near the elevator and over the street but could not hear anything from inside. Wonderful rest. The fireplaces in the rooms add true romantic charm and differentiate the property from any other hotel in the U.S. The suites are simply beautiful. Lucien Lagrange knows how to design the finest residential buildings in the world and this hotel feels like staying in a premier Parisian apartment. If you value design quality and superior service, you must stay here at least once.

The spa is in our opinion the best in Chicago. Although the design was not perfect, the staff was. The team there and the quality of the services were unrivaled.

Minor negative points: The pool is extremely small and the layout appears to be intended for looking at the pool rather than actually getting in it. If more than 5 people are in the pool it feels crowded and uncomfortable. The entry courtyard concept is great, but there really is no main lobby to speak of, so it feels a bit cramped upon first entry to the hotel. This courtyard design also leads to the narrow pool area and spa layout, which are not the best.

The only hotels in Chicago that can compare in quality are The Peninsula, the Four Seasons, and Trump. If this helps you, The Peninsula has a more international feeling and (in my opinion) better food options. The Peninsula has the best pool in Chicago, without question. The Peninsula also has much better windows and use of natural light. The windows at The Waldorf are generally higher from the floor and set back a bit (traditional French architecture) and this is beautiful but makes it a bit darker inside. However, the Peninsula has worse sound insulation and louder rooms. The Waldorf is newer, with better construction quality, and the service is more consistently outstanding.
All of the above hotels have great locations, but The Waldorf might win again since it is a bit off Michigan Avenue and in a more exciting block of retail and dining. Trump has the least exciting location for immediate walking options and the lowest quality service of the list above, but incredible views.
In summary, The Elysian (now Waldorf) is a truly fantastic hotel experience and I'd recommend it to anyone traveling to Chicago.

Room Tip: Upper floors, looking north or south are best. Upgrade to a suite if possible to get a fireplace an...
3 Thank SearchingUsa
Dear SearchingUsa,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback of your recent stay with us. I am truly delighted to learn that the comfort of your room enabled you to enjoy a wonderful rest during your visit. Your kind words regarding the hotel’s décor and ambiance and the level of care and professionalism of our service team are highly valued and appreciated. We have noted your views concerning the design of our courtyard, pool and Elysian Spa. We truly value every given opportunity to improve the quality of our products and services. Thank you for recommending the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Awesome hotel. We took our kids and the staff made our trip an enjoyable experience. Nice small pool and bar. Make sure to visit Le Colonial which is right across the street. Make sure to visit the spa, very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank PatrickfromGP
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear PatrickfromGP

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay for your family trip into the Windy City. I am truly pleased to learn that our team was able to make you and your family feel welcome and comfortable throughout your visit. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you, hopefully in the very near future!