“Lovely place to stay.”

Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Prophetstown, Illinois
“Lovely place to stay.”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We live a couple of hours from Chicago and count the city as our hometown. We have stayed in the city many times and have enjoyed many fine hotel stays. The Waldorf Astoria was far exceptional to any of our other stays in the city. The staff is well trained and the most polite we have every encountered in Chicago. When the first attendant declined our tip we were impressed and did not offer to tip again. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and accommodate us. My husband enjoyed conversing with the concierge that sent us a welcoming email the week before. He arranged dinner reservations for us, with the best table in the restaurant, when my husband discovered they were booked at the time he wanted. Their courtesy car was available for both nights for dinner. It was not always accessible but available when we wanted it for dinner. We had never taken our bikes to Chicago and felt a little silly deciding to do so. They stored them in a room right off of the courtyard, pointed us in the direction of the lake shore bike path and we spent several hours enjoying this side of city life. Their locker facilities and lap pool are very nice. The aromatherapy steam room is one of the freshest I have been in. We accumulate quite a few Hilton points and stayed both nights for the price of parking. They still treated us like an honored guest and that is a tribute to a good hotel. We look forward to staying with them in the future and will make the hotel a base for our visits to Chicago.

1 Thank foreveronward
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear foreveronward,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that all of the team members you encountered graciously and efficiently assisted you throughout your visit. Thank you for your very kind words pertaining to our quality of service. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our no tipping policy and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our personal Concierge, our House Car service and our Elysian Spa and Health Club. We are excited to read that you and your husband will be visiting with us again. We will certainly be looking forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Orange County, California
Reviewed 7 September 2013

A beautiful hotel nestled away from all the craziness. The staff was amazingly friendly and I appreciated that everyone was capable of doing everything. It wasn't set where you check in with the check in staff, have to find the service staff for service help, etc. The guy up front even took my bags up to the room... And it was refreshing that they refuse to take tips as if they are wanting to offer the best service possible rather than service for tips.

I loved the car service that was provided as it helped a lot when it was cold, although I wished it ran longer into the night.

Overall, a great experience at this hotel, and I can't think of anywhere else I would rather stay when going back to Chicago.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raycifer
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear raycifer,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our no tipping policy and our House Car service throughout your stay. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team for I know it will be equally rewarding form them to learn of your acknowledgement of their efforts to meet the guests’ needs. Your loyalty is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back, hopefully in the very near future.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We've stayed in other Waldorf properties before and have generally been satisfied both with the value and quality of the experience. This is a converted property (formerly the Elysium) that Waldorf has run for the past couple of years. It has received numerous rewards (including 2013 Traveler's Choice Award and 2012 Travel+Leisure Large City Hotel), but given what I paid and Waldorf's reputation I wasn't overly impressed.

Perhaps the best thing about the Waldorf is the private courtyard entrance as it takes the stress out of checking in right away. Staff was welcoming and efficient in getting us checked in and up to our room. The usual Waldorf amenities including such things as free shoe shines and a daily paper were appreciated.

They boast "stunning interiors" but I found them to be bland bordering on boring/depressing. (Grey with an occasional splash of color or large art installation is not necessarily stunning.)

We took a suite for about $550/night and while it was nice, it wasn't fantastic. There were telltale nicks and dents in the walls and some of the furnishings, some of the bathroom fixtures were loose (maintenance fixed most of them at our request) and I ended up balancing up on the toilet to clean plainly visible black cobwebs out of the vents. The furnishings were more to be seen than used and the their arrangement was lacking -- dining table pushed in a corner and living room furnishings off-center from the fireplace and television. The only real comfortable chair in the whole suite was the armchair on the outside terrace.

This facility is non-gratuity, which is a bit refreshing, but quite frankly I would've traded spreading around some tips in exchange for a little more attention to detail in the rooms and overall facility.

Room Tip: Choose one of the suites for the extra room, terrace and views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rocket58
Dear Rocket58,

Thank you for your detailed feedback of your most recent visit with us. I sincerely regret to learn that your experience fell below your expectations. I am also terribly sorry to read about the various inconveniences you experienced during your stay, especially with regard to the bathroom in your suite. I have brought your comments to the attention of our Director of Engineering and Housekeeping for further internal review. Feedback like yours is truly important to us, for it enables our continued effort to improve the quality of our product and our daily performance. Unfortunately, these valuable lessons have come at your expense. Thank you for your positive comments with regard to our no tipping policy. We will look forward to a second opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was in Chicago this past weekend and stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for a bachelorette party. This Waldorf Astoria had felons staying at their hotel. These men broke into our room while four young women were asleep. Thankfully, these men only wanted our valuables (which amounted to over $7,000). We immediately notified the police and the hotel. The hotel's response and behavior to this situation was shocking. They are suggesting it in OUR fault that this incident occurred, that we must have not locked our doors, and therefore the felons broke into our rooms. They also mention that their card reader is broken, and cannot access information of when doors were opened or closed, which would have been helpful to the police. They also mention that they have NO cameras in their hotel aside from the lobby. The police wanted to help as much as they could but could only do so much without certain information. The hotel has been extremely rude and refuses to help us and agrees to compensate us for only 1 night of our 3 nights at their hotel.
All of the women staying in the hotel are terrified. Anything could have happened to us.
We had a horrible experience when we intended to have a excellent stay at this "5-star hotel". This hotel is extremely unsafe and I hope this review is helpful to advise others not to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Puja C
Upland, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We needed a night in the city after a ride on Amtrak from SoCal before we went back to work - and chose the Waldorf based on a myriad of factors - that said we had a very pleasant stay.

Pros:
- Upgraded room [thanks for that!]
- Service with a smile
- No tipping
- Comfy beds
- HD signals on the TV [how many times have you stayed in a room with a 42" TV and a standard def signal? Its basically unwatchable]
- Nice bathrooms and the TV in the mirror - great touch
- Window opened to a juliet balcony - nice touch to get fresh air

Cons:
- toilet ran on in the bathroom - was too busy to deal with it - NOTE TO HOTEL
- huge shower - yet no place to sit?
- We had a few sodas left- used a couple of glasses - @ turn down service they removed the used glasses but did not replace them - so had no glasses . . . . drank the other sodas out of the can - again - not worth the phone call and effort since it was late

The only downside is that every time you ask a question about transport- they offer you the most expensive option. I asked about getting from the Train Station - they recommended a car service for $250. I thought they have a car? Could not the bell staff have come picked us up if it was available? We spent the morning at the Museum of Science and Industry - I asked bell staff about transport - the Lexus was sitting right there - and they suggested the car service again - then a cab. tell me there is a El stop 3 blocks away . . . . some of us are in fact public transport competent . . .

Very pleasant stay. WILL stay here again when in Chicago. . . .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ctcomanchepilot
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear ctcomanchepilot,

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your most recent visit with us. I am truly pleased to learn we were able to offer you an upgrade, but most importantly, that you enjoyed your suite and all of its various unique amenities. I regret to learn about the inconveniences you encountered throughout your stay, especially with regard to your bathroom and our housekeeping service. I have brought your comments to the attention of our Director of Engineering and Housekeeping for internal review.
I apologize on behalf of our concierge team for not providing more useful information. The House Car service is indeed a complimentary amenity for our guests; however, it is unfortunately a drop-off and not a pickup service. I apologize for it seems this information was miscommunicated. I am thrilled to read that you will consider staying with us again. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you.

Swansboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We went to Chicago over Labor Day weekend after a friends wedding for 2 nights. My husband just returned home from deployment so this was just a nice little getaway for us. I asked for a room with a view, higher up. We were definitely higher up, but the view was lacking, also requested a balcony and was told they were all booked. Kind of think it was because we got the government rate...Oh well. They gave us a bowl of grapes, three strawberries an apple, and an orange, and a bottle of water once we got settled in. Nothing too fancy. Room was spacious and bathroom was awesome. Spa and gym were great as well. Not sure if Id stay there again, based on the reviews I've read on other hotels like the Wit and the Four Seasons. I guess I just expected more, but there was really no special treatment for the price we paid. Location was great, walking distance to everything.

Dear Amanda C,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during Labor Day weekend. I am terribly sorry to read that we were not able to offer you a suite with a balcony or a room with a better view as you requested. We do try to accommodate as many of our guests requests as we can. I apologize if we couldn't do it for this visit, but I certainly hope that you will consider visiting us again in the near future so we can offer you a suite with your specifications. On the positive side, I am truly happy to read that you found comfort in your suite and enjoyed the various facilities in our hotel, especially our Elysian Spa and Health Club. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Bowie, Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The Waldorf Astoria is the queen of Chicago folks! If you make it to the fine city of Chicago it is a must to stay with the Waldorf Astoria and have their staff spoil you and dote over you! It is refreshing, and spectacular all in one, with the cream of the crop for staff! Doesnt matter how you get there, get there, you wont want to leave! The food was as amazing as the suite and the people, the pool area, work out area were top notch as well. You are in the heart of the magnificent mile, and the Waldorf is the heart beat of Chicago, so dont miss this wonderful facility if you get the opportunity to visit the Windy City. You will love your stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank bradinab
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed all of the different pieces of your stay, the hotel’s location, your suite, our Elysian Spa and Health Club and our restaurant Balsan. I will be certainly sharing your positive comments with the rest of the team. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We can’t wait for our next opportunity to serve you.