Waldorf Astoria Chicago
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)
  • Fitness centre
  • Room Service
2,524 results
All reviewsno tipping policyhouse cargold coast suiteelysian hotelgas fireplaceluxury suitetv in the mirrorroom servicesoaking tubwet barbeautiful hotelliving roomfour seasonssteam roombottle of champagnerush streetturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Planned an overnight stay-cation with some girlfriends and we had a ball. The double suite was spectacular with a combined 2400+ square feet, two balconies and able to sleep 6 comfortably. Its located in the gold coast and walking distance to Rush street for dining & cocktails. Also close to Michigan ave shopping and awesome upscale Oakstreet. I'm ready to return any time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent stay-cation with your girlfriends on TripAdvisor; but most importantly, thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your Grand Suite and you found the hotel’s location convenient. We highly value your patronage. We will look forward to welcoming you and your friends back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

An excellent hotel with extremely attentive and cordial staff, who went out of their way to ensure that our stay was comfortable and gave us individual care and attention. The facilities are very elegant and refined. Another very good aspect is the clear policy of not expecting tips. Personally I find this a rather repugnant drawback of travel in the US. People seem to expect a tip just for doing their job, without really doing any thing special, so it is refreshing to find this attitude coupled with the excellence of service.

However there were negatives, though minor they do perhaps highlight a "weak spot" in an otherwise excellent establishment. It was to do with my reservation. I had booked well in advance for a 6 day long conference but had from the outset decided to stay an extra day. When my wife and I arrived after a long flight we were told that the booking was for 6 days. I showed the reception staff my booking for seven days and was assured that it would be corrected. I therefore found it irritating to discover that this had not been done and I was expected to "check out" on day 6. Obviously I didn't but did detect a slight note of disbelief on the part of the young lady at reception, that this was indeed the case! This was at odds with all other aspects of my stay and hopefully the weakness of the back office function, has since been addressed.
We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear salman_zaman,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that throughout your stay you felt that the team was attentive and cordial and made your stay a little more memorable. I am also pleased to read that you found our no tipping policy refreshing. Our philosophy of service is based upon serving with no expectations of receiving anything in return except our guests’ desire to visit with us again. I regret to read about the miscommunication pertaining to your reservation. I truly apologize for the misunderstanding at the time of check-in. Your concerns have been brought to the attention of our Guest Services team for internal review. I certainly hope that this part of your experience will not prevent you from staying with us again. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to a second opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Everything about this hotel was A+! The Spa was professional and relaxing. The room was Gorgeous! Loved the fireplace in the room. Was upgraded to a Luxury King Suite. Would Highly recommend this property in Chicago. Location is perfect. Walking distance to Michigan avenue and shops/restaurants all around the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear ginaway,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our Luxury Suites, but most importantly, I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for recommending the hotel. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Chicago either on business or pleasure!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

From the moment you arrive at the Waldorf Chicago you really feel special. This was our second visit to the hotel and it did not disappoint. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. Professional in every way, but not pretentious, as has been my experience with some luxury hotels.
It is pricey, but in the middle of snowy February you can get a great deal just about anywhere in Chicago, and this is definitely worth the splurge for a special occasion. We are Hilton Honors Diamond Members and have found that the hotel offers "points" specials from time to time and both times we have stayed we were upgraded to a suite because, I assume, our Diamond Status. This is a treat.

The decor is modern, yet classic. The entry chandelier is gorgeous and spending a few moments in to the sitting room off the lobby, enjoying black velvet couches and the warm fireplace blazing is the perfect contrast to the bitter winds outside. The rooms and halls derive from a relaxing grey palette that is relaxing to the eye and draw attention crisp white linens that cover the bed. The duvet, bed and pillows are of excellent quality and we found it difficult to pull ourselves away from them in the morning. The suite we stayed in had a separate sitting area with a fireplace. This was lovely. However, the fireplace does emit a bit of an odor and makes the temperature of the rooms difficult to control. However, it was still worth turning it on for the ambiance. I did notice the "new" feel to the rooms may be wearing off just a little. The coffee table in our room was precarious (a leg was very loose) the chase lounge was spotted. However, the rooms are thoroughly cleaned and still lovely.

The soaking tub, Ferragamo bath products, separate rain shower, plush robes and complimentary slippers all add to the relaxation vibe. The TV in the bathroom mirror is a nice touch, but more of a novelty; we didn't use it much. The location causes a glare that made it a bit hard to see from the tub and the volume distorted some. Oh well. The kids (we left at home) thought it was cool when we told them about it.

The spa is a great amenity. You do not have to book a service to enjoy sauna, steam, whirlpool in private areas for both men and women. The services were quite expensive. I did experience one of their signature Elysian treatments. The therapist was kind, professional and did a great job. But, even if we stayed again, I just couldn't justify the expense. There are too many other spas in the area that offer similar services at a fraction of the cost. I did however end up purchasing a few of the products they used during the treatment. They were wonderful. If money is no object, enjoy! They do add 20% gratuity, which was well-deserved and I appreciated not having to figure out what was expected, or try to add up a bill after a relaxing, mind-numbing treatment.

We did order from in-room dining. It was very good. However, we had asked for a few adjustments on the sandwich from the menu description and they were not made. After a quick call, they did try to bring up the additions, but still missed a couple requests. They would have accommodated another call, but we didn't want to be a hassle.

We had tried Balsan restaurant during our last stay for lunch and found it unremarkable. Good, but with all the Chicago choices, the restaurants at this hotel are not really destinations. We walked down the street just a bit to the Original Pancake House for breakfast (Someone there really knows how to get breakfast right). The bar at the hotel did seem to be doing quite a lot of business on the weekend.

The personal concierge made great dinner and lunch suggestions and made calls to make sure reservations were secured. They also helped arrange transportation. The "house car" is a great perk, however in our two visits, both several days in length it was never available.

Apparently, there is a no tipping policy. The bell staff, and others declined our offer of gratuity. It is nice, I suppose, but a bit confusing. The staff does an outstanding job and are deserving of gratuities. The first time we stayed, the bellman did take the tip after we insisted, so are we rude to insist or rude NOT to insist? As our custom, we did leave gratuity for housekeeping each day and they did take it. Although, they made up our room and did turn down service each day, I never saw one housekeeping person, or a noisy cart in the hall. However the phantom housekeeping staff does a great job. As mentioned above, the spa does add gratuity and service charges are added for in-room dining. So...perhaps, a note in the hotel book left in the room would clear this up. Who do you tip and who is on the no tipping list.

Overall, I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE (channeling my very best Eloise voice) this hotel. It is a gem in the city. The location, between Michigan Ave. and Gold Coast dining and shopping is central, yet tucked away, off the main drag, just special.

But that's what you expect from a Waldorf. A special experience.
Keep your expectations high. They will work hard to meet them.
They have certainly exceeded ours on two occasions now.
Can't wait to make it three.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mr_jmrl
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear mr_imrl,

Thank you so much for visiting with us again at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago and for taking the time to share such candid feedback. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed not only your suite, but also the various amenities the hotel has to offer; especially the Elysian Spa and Health Club and our House Car service. I regret to learn, however, about the coffee table in your suite. I have shared your comments with our Engineering team for internal review. Thank you for your comments pertaining to our In Room Dining service and our restaurant Balsan. I regret to read that your experiences using their services did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is highly valued, for comments like yours enable our continued efforts to improve our daily performance and the quality of our services. We are thrilled to read that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. We truly value and appreciate your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend getaway and couldn't have asked for a nicer experience. The suites are modern and beautifully decorated. We felt like no detail was forgotten. The staff was all friendly and helpful. No complaints. We also had a massage and facial at the Elysian Spa and it was a wonderful, relaxing experience. They served vanilla bean infused water which was a delicious treat. Loved our experience at this luxury hotel. Definitely will return for the next stay-cation. Just a beautiful hotel!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarMaki
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear MarMaki

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your weekend getaway and for sharing such positive feedback on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suite and the various unique amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club. It is rewarding to read that we were able to contribute to your relaxing weekend. The vanilla bean infused water is truly refreshing; I am glad you enjoyed it. I am thrilled to read that you and your travel companion will be visiting with us again. We highly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.