“Girls' weekend was heavenly!!”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
New Orleans
“Girls' weekend was heavenly!!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just returned from a 3 day stay at this luxurious property in a fabulous location!! I had read all the reviews and was not disappointed in least as every detail lived up to my lofty expectations. I booked a king suit with a fireplace. So beautiful and comfortable that I hardly wanted to leave the room!! I have nothing but high praise for the attentive staff as they ventured out in the heavy snowfall to pick up a prescription for me when I wasn't feeling well. My afternoon in the spa was heavenly, too. Can't wait to return to the Chicago WA! Loved every minute!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear SuzanneNewOrleans,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your three day stay with us and we succeeded in meeting your high expectations. Thank you so much for your kind words pertaining to our service team. I will certainly share your positive remarks with the entire team. I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy some of the relaxing services at our Elysian Spa. We are truly thrilled to read that you and your family will be visiting with us again. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, perfect location in Gold Coast neighborhood. Outstanding suites that include a fireplace, microwave, mini fridge and freezer too. The master bath with soaking tub and large shower are fabulous. The staff is thoughtful and they try to accommodate in any way they can. However, the food is below average. For the price we expect better. The service is odd, serving 1/2 grapefruit without cutting the sections or even providing a knife to do it yourself? The room service menu is limited and strange. The food is too pricey to be that disappointing. In Chicago and no hot dog on the menu? Not even on the kids menu? The hotel coffee is not up to par either. After spending many times here, with reluctance the next trip we will be staying a the Four Seasons. We will miss the Waldorf. It was a home away from home.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
WAChicago, Executive Chef at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Wjm420,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent visit to The Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite, and all of its unique amenities, and that our team was gracious and efficient during your stay. On the other hand, I regret to learn that the quality of our food and beverage department fell below your expectations.

Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. I would like the opportunity to personally speak with you to discuss what we can do to prevent us from losing you as a guest. I can be contacted at Herve.Cuyeu@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1338.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Herve Cuyeu
Executive Chef
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 12 February 2014

As a FHR user, I am used to staying at various 5-star type hotels in Chicago. Therefore, I have come to expect a higher level of attentiveness, service and overall quality in a hotel.
I must say, my first stay at the WA Chicago was a mediocre one at best. They have a no-tipping policy which actually works against them. Service is what you would expect from a lesser establishment, not from a true 5-star hotel. Rooms were just OK. Service was blah. Breakfast in the restaurant was the bright spot.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Ron J
WAChicago, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Ron J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago in March of last year. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed our restaurant Balsan. However, I sincerely regret to read that the quality of our service fell short of your expectations and that your overall stay with us was not enjoyable.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak with you to discuss what can be done to amend our mistakes and have you stay with us again. I can be contacted at Nadeem.Siddiqui@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1335.

Nadeem Siddiqui
Assistant Director of Rooms
Western Springs, Illinois
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My daughter and I went to the Waldorf Astoria This past Sunday to use the Spa. We had read that it was listed as # 1 in hotel spas in the united states. Although it was lovely, I am not sure what about it made it #1. The treatment was good, but nothing special, although I do have to say the staff was wonderful. I have been in many spas over the years but nothing at this spa made it stand out. We ordered food and it was average at best which was the second time I have eaten lunch at the waldorf and thought it was average. My daughter really enjoyed herself and I guess thats whats imortant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank christina a
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear christina a,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your visit to our Elysian Spa & Health Club. I sincerely regret to read that your experience fell short of your expectations. Your concerns have been addressed with our Director of Food and Beverage and our Spa Director. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our service team. I am delighted to read that your daughter had an enjoyable time. We hope that you can give us another opportunity to properly serve you in the not far future.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Service and staff was nothing short of amazing. They do not accept tips which is a different experience, but nice. We were made to feel very comfortable in every way, especially at the spa. Highly recommend the restaurant for brunch.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scotp44023
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Scotp44023,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club and our restaurant Balsan. I am also delighted to read that our service team succeeded in making your stay more memorable. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Planned an overnight stay-cation with some girlfriends and we had a ball. The double suite was spectacular with a combined 2400+ square feet, two balconies and able to sleep 6 comfortably. Its located in the gold coast and walking distance to Rush street for dining & cocktails. Also close to Michigan ave shopping and awesome upscale Oakstreet. I'm ready to return any time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent stay-cation with your girlfriends on TripAdvisor; but most importantly, thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your Grand Suite and you found the hotel’s location convenient. We highly value your patronage. We will look forward to welcoming you and your friends back sometime in the near future.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

An excellent hotel with extremely attentive and cordial staff, who went out of their way to ensure that our stay was comfortable and gave us individual care and attention. The facilities are very elegant and refined. Another very good aspect is the clear policy of not expecting tips. Personally I find this a rather repugnant drawback of travel in the US. People seem to expect a tip just for doing their job, without really doing any thing special, so it is refreshing to find this attitude coupled with the excellence of service.

However there were negatives, though minor they do perhaps highlight a "weak spot" in an otherwise excellent establishment. It was to do with my reservation. I had booked well in advance for a 6 day long conference but had from the outset decided to stay an extra day. When my wife and I arrived after a long flight we were told that the booking was for 6 days. I showed the reception staff my booking for seven days and was assured that it would be corrected. I therefore found it irritating to discover that this had not been done and I was expected to "check out" on day 6. Obviously I didn't but did detect a slight note of disbelief on the part of the young lady at reception, that this was indeed the case! This was at odds with all other aspects of my stay and hopefully the weakness of the back office function, has since been addressed.
We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear salman_zaman,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that throughout your stay you felt that the team was attentive and cordial and made your stay a little more memorable. I am also pleased to read that you found our no tipping policy refreshing. Our philosophy of service is based upon serving with no expectations of receiving anything in return except our guests’ desire to visit with us again. I regret to read about the miscommunication pertaining to your reservation. I truly apologize for the misunderstanding at the time of check-in. Your concerns have been brought to the attention of our Guest Services team for internal review. I certainly hope that this part of your experience will not prevent you from staying with us again. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to a second opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back our way.