“Very Nice Rooms - Communication A Bit Off”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #10 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at the Waldorf during the first part of January 2014 when it was extremely cold. On the plus side, there was a fair amount of open rooms so I was provided a very generous upgrade. The suite I was given was quite large and very comfortable. I would certainly stay there again.

The one reason for pause was how the hotel handled an unfortunate incident involving a water line breaking that resulted in the cable, telephone and wi-fi going out the remainder of my stay and the fire department arriving to the hotel with sirens blaring. Obviously, a water line breaking and flooding a server room is beyond their immediate control. Unfortunately, the bitter cold night was not really conducive to walking about outside to burn time.

Practically speaking, I had my choice between hanging at the hotel bar or sitting in my room. With no internet connection, keeping up with work email was out of the question and there was no cable. In the end, I made the best of the situation and read the newspaper and some work related periodicals. What was disappointing was what heappened the next day when I checked out. Without prompting, the front desk staff diligently took my email information, adding me to a long list of departing guests. I was told someone from the hotel would be in contact about the lack of services. Great, nice gesture.However, the only contact I received came a few days later and it was a bill for a bottle of water from my mini-bar. Which I guess would be okay if I actually took anything from the mini-bar! Bottom line, the Waldorf is a top-flight hotel. I don't know what they did to reach out to the other guests that stayed during this unfortunate time period, but just brushing it off, particularly when I was specifically asked for my email information so the hotel could contact me, presented a customer service experience well below what this grand hotel should be delivering to its customers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BiciFan
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Horton-SFO,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the series of inconveniences you experienced during your stay and sincerely thank you for kind patience and understanding. We did indeed reach out to all of our guests who stayed with us during this unfortunate incident. I regret to learn that we failed to reach out to you.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you to personally apologize and discuss what we can do so you can give us another opportunity to provide you with the quality of service we proud ourselves in. I can be contacted at Joe.Piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Joe Piantedosi
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,415)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

There was not a single flaw (as far as I could see) in this wonderful hotel in the heart of Chicago. The rooms are beautiful and incredibly spacious. We had a suite on the top floor (even though all the rooms are nice) and enjoyed the views, the space, the ammenities and the FIREPLACE!!! Yes a fireplace for the cold Chicago nights. This is my 4th time staying here and it has become one of my favorite hotels in the states. The staff is excellent and the best part is: IT IS A NO TIPPING HOTEL! What a pleasure to not have your wallet out every minute. They are also very generous with the hotel car as long as it's within their boundaries. I never had to wait long. Well run and beautiful hotel. And you are one block away from Oak Street and excellent shopping.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Rachel T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such candid feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor, and of course, thank you for staying with us again. You loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. I am truly pleased to read that you have enjoyed the different suites you have stayed in and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially the house car and our no tipping policy. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Had the pleasure of staying here during the week while in town on business. Perfect location just in the gold coast. The hotel itself is stylish and tastefull. The bar area is a hive of activity in the evenings, great crowd but not too busy. The food is devine, the breakfast coffee is amazing!! My one issue was the Cable TV speed as it was temperamental and cut out sporadically. One last thing the staff are amazing. From carrying my bags, to the very attentive bar/restaurant staff. they were a joy to deal with. Looking forward to my next stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Robert C,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your business trip to the Windy City and for taking the time to share your feedback of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that our service team made your stay more enjoyable and most importantly, I am thrilled to read that you will be visiting with us again. I regret to read about the problems you had with your television. Your concerns are being reviewed with our IT team. Just like you, we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this weekend and stayed in a gold coast suite. Everything about this hotel is top of the line and far exceeded our expectations, from our greeting at check-in by our "personal assistant", to the morning coffee service personally delivered to our suite, to the champagne waiting for us after we returned from dinner. The service at this hotel cannot be beat, and everything was 100% top quality. What a fantastic experience and great way to get away from it all!

Room Tip: If it's winter time, you can't beat a suite with a gas fireplace!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear ryoung9,

Thank you so much for celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary with us and for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your stay on TripAdvisor. We know it is a very special occasion; we thank you for letting us making it a little more special.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the Gold Coast Suite and that the quality of our service did not disappoint. Thank you for your positive remarks. Your patronage is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I took my husband to see the Buddy Holly Story and we stayed at the Waldorf in Chicago. This is the most amazing hotel we have ever stayed at. We travel alot so have seen more than our share of hotel rooms but nothing like this one. Everyone, from the valet, front desk and concierge was so friendly and polite. We couldn't get our key to work and went back to the front desk. They came back with us to show us how to work it and then showed us how to use all the amenities in the room, the fireplace, the tv in the bathroom mirror. Everything in the bathroom was marble. It is the nicest place we have ever stayed. We are going back for my birthday next week-end and are so excited. It you want to be pampered and feel like a king/queen, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Beth32571250,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such special occasions and for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay during Father’s Day. I am truly pleased to read that our team was able to efficiently assist you during your visit and that you enjoyed your suite and all of the unique amenities it has to offer. We are thrilled to learn that you will be visiting again next weekend to celebrate your birthday. We will look forward to our next opportunity to assisting making this special occasion for you and your husband a little more memorable.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We've been treated with royalty all the way ,for all the days of our stay we stayed for almost 1 week at the grand sweets and it was a great stay ,the staff and the receptionsit were so kind and lovely ,,smiles always on there faces .

They let you feel apart of own family , i think all the credit goes to the management and the staff cooperation and understanding .

For sure we will comeback again

Room Tip: Corner suits are large and sunny with more private services
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear nidotraveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your candid feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives great pleasure to read that you found our service team consistently helpful and welcoming. We will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way, hopefully in the not far future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and i took a last minute trip to the city and were able to take advantage of points to get a room for the night. We have stayed at a few 5 star hotels in the Chicago and we felt most welcome at the Waldorf. Everyone at the hotel is welcoming and helpful and other guests even seemed to be more friendly that at other high end hotels that we have stayed at. The only downside (if this is even a concern) was that the wifi was very spotty and we lost signal many times.

Room Tip: The fireplace rooms are great for just sitting and relaxing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear trede212,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay and that you found peace and comfort by the fire in your suite. I regret to learn that you had problems with our wireless internet connection. I have shared your concerns with our Director of IT for internal review. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.