“Great Hotel - Love this place”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Great Hotel - Love this place”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I will preface this review by stating that we (myself, my wife, and 7-year-old daughter) stayed here during a non-peak time (two nights in early March 2014), so I realize that our experience may have been different than had we stayed when the hotel was at full occupancy. That being said, the Waldorf in Chicago was great. The room was beautiful and our jr. suite had a fireplace, which was perfect after coming in from the cold. Because it is just off Michigan Ave, you don't have a great view, but we loved the slightly more quiet location. Rooms were everything that you would expect in a top-notch hotel. It has a very nice spa and workout area. The pool is rather small and not ideal for kids, but good enough for my daugther to want to get in and swim a bit. What sets this hotel apart is the service. The entire staff was extremely friendly without any sign of very down to earth. We arrived at 9 a.m. after an all-night train ride, fully expecting to store our bags until check in time. Much to our excitement, we were able to check in. Similarly, we were able to get a late check out on the day of our departure. The hotel has a courtesy car that will take you within a two-mile radius when it is available. The staff politely refuses tips as it is a nontipping hotel, but will not argue if you insist. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant. While a bit overpriced (but typical for a hotel of this quality), the food was excellent. The icing on the cake was when we left. Our train was not until 8 p.m. We had stored several bags at the hotel while touring the city that afternoon and evening. Upon returning to get our bags, my wife asked the doorman for a cab. Completely unsolicited and despite that we had checked out hours ago, the hotel offered to drive us to the station in their courtesy car, even though it was outside the two-mile radius. Riding to the train station in a luxury Mercedes during rush hour was so much nicer than a cab ride. This really stood out since it was something the hotel clearly did not have to do and we did not even ask for. Will stay in this place again when in Chicago.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GitOutaHere
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear GitOutaHere,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that you, your wife and your daughter enjoyed your suite, the hotel’s house car and our restaurant Balsan. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our service team. Comments like yours are our inspiration to continue our pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to serving you and your family again should your travels bring you back our way, hopefully in the not far future.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Waldorf chain is the epitome of luxury and this hotel lives up to the standard. From the entry foyer to the bed to the bathroom to the robes, everything was perfect. But I think the spa was my favorite part, as the steam room had a hint of menthol that really helps you relax after a long day. I slept the best I did in so long after spending time in the spa. The amenities were by Salvatore Ferragamo! The location is also great; it is not too far off from the north end of Millennium mile and so it saves from the crowds and noise that you would otherwise have to experience if you stay in the center. If I'm ever in Chicago, this is the only place I'd stay in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rohal M
Dear Rohal M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suite and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club; and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. I am thrilled to read that you will be visiting us again should your travels bring you back to Chicago. Your loyalty and patronage are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Frankfort, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Waldorf's staff did an excellent job with reservations, compementary house car, purchasing flowers to surprise my wife at check in, complementary champaign to celebrate, they notified the restaurants that we were celebrating our 30th and we were given complementary desserts. In the past we have always stayed at the Four Seasons or the Penninsula for special occasions (and they are both outstanding hotels) but the Waldorf has to rank right up there with the best. The special pricing they had for staying the 3rd night puts the Waldorf over the top. Its our new #1.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Jerry N,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay to celebrate such a special occasion. I am truly pleased to read that the team was able to make this special visit a little more memorable. Thank you for your very kind words pertaining to our service team. I have shared your comments with the entire staff during our morning meeting. We are truly thrilled to learn that we have become your number one hotel in the city. Thank you again for letting us be part of such a special celebration. We will look forward to commemorating many more with you and your wife.

Detroit
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Everybody in their staff is courteous and professional, rooms are very clean and serviced promptly, including turn-down service. Concierge is always helpful with great dining recommendations, directions or tickets to local venues that are delivered to the room. Also, great location in the Gold Coast neighborhood close to Old Town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear dbocca,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback pertaining to your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that the quality of our service did not disappoint and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. Thank you for your positive remarks with regard to our Concierge team. I am delighted to learn that they efficiently assisted you with your activity planning during your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Gold Coast Suite is highly recommended and it was the perfect setting to do a marriage proposal. Get one of the corner suites that has a fireplace, great views, patio, and an overall great setup. It was a moment i know she wont ever forget, especially since there is a local spa on site that offers couples massages too. Would definitely come back here for any special occasions in Chicago!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank devilpup88
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear devilpup88,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for this once-in-a-lifetime celebration. I am truly pleased to read that our Gold Coast suite was the perfect setting for you. I am also delighted to read that you and your fiancée had a memorable time and that you enjoyed not only your suite but also our Elysian Spa & Health Club. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued. We will look forward to making many more special occasions for you a little more memorable.

Missouri
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Just had a 4 day stay at the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago. The hotels location is great, right on Rush street and close to Michigan Avenue. The staff is wonderful, including the concierge who knew us by name. They arranged transportation for us to Milwaukee one night, and helped with other bits of information. We used Uber for all our other transportation needs, as it's a lot faster than a taxi (and a lot nicer). We stayed in a two-bedroom Grand Suite, and it was very roomy, well appointed, and had great bathrooms. Note if you are staying in this room with a family, it's basically just two suites with a common entrance, so a lot of wasted space unless you like being totally separate while in the room. Only drawback was the food at their restaurant, and in-room dining was not very good. While we did have breakfast in the room each morning, it was average at best. They certainly could improve upon this area. Overall, would certainly come back, just would probably not eat there again. Outstanding property otherwise.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mattmayse
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear mattmayse,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your Grand Suite and that our service team, especially our concierges, were able to provide you with a friendly and efficient service. I sincerely regret to read that you did not enjoy your dining experiences at the hotel. I have shared your concerns with our Executive Chef and his team. Really exciting changes will be happening in this area very soon. I am thrilled to read that you and your family will be visiting with us again. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not far future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at the Waldorf during the first part of January 2014 when it was extremely cold. On the plus side, there was a fair amount of open rooms so I was provided a very generous upgrade. The suite I was given was quite large and very comfortable. I would certainly stay there again.

The one reason for pause was how the hotel handled an unfortunate incident involving a water line breaking that resulted in the cable, telephone and wi-fi going out the remainder of my stay and the fire department arriving to the hotel with sirens blaring. Obviously, a water line breaking and flooding a server room is beyond their immediate control. Unfortunately, the bitter cold night was not really conducive to walking about outside to burn time.

Practically speaking, I had my choice between hanging at the hotel bar or sitting in my room. With no internet connection, keeping up with work email was out of the question and there was no cable. In the end, I made the best of the situation and read the newspaper and some work related periodicals. What was disappointing was what heappened the next day when I checked out. Without prompting, the front desk staff diligently took my email information, adding me to a long list of departing guests. I was told someone from the hotel would be in contact about the lack of services. Great, nice gesture.However, the only contact I received came a few days later and it was a bill for a bottle of water from my mini-bar. Which I guess would be okay if I actually took anything from the mini-bar! Bottom line, the Waldorf is a top-flight hotel. I don't know what they did to reach out to the other guests that stayed during this unfortunate time period, but just brushing it off, particularly when I was specifically asked for my email information so the hotel could contact me, presented a customer service experience well below what this grand hotel should be delivering to its customers.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BiciFan
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Horton-SFO,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the series of inconveniences you experienced during your stay and sincerely thank you for kind patience and understanding. We did indeed reach out to all of our guests who stayed with us during this unfortunate incident. I regret to learn that we failed to reach out to you.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you to personally apologize and discuss what we can do so you can give us another opportunity to provide you with the quality of service we proud ourselves in. I can be contacted at Joe.Piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,