“Best & Most Elegant Hotel in Chicago!”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Best & Most Elegant Hotel in Chicago!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel when it was originally opened as the Elysian Hotel. It was sold to new owners and managed by Hilton as a Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 2012. It stills has the ambiance, elegance & service of top 5-star European hotels. I love the "no-tip" policy, however, gratuities of 18% is automatically added to your bill. This place after its 1.5 yrs of its opening became rated by Conde Nast Travel as #1 in the nation in 2011. This is my "go-to" place to getaway for the weekend and just pamper myself, plus great location to Rush St. area, Magnificient Mile shopping, & Oak St. Beach front. Also Balsan restaurant is an excellent fine dining restaurant & Bernard's Bar has a wonderful elegant lounge feel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

2 Thank Mary1758
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Mary1758,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback pertaining to your various stays at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. I am truly delighted to read that you find the hotel’s location convenient and that you enjoy visiting our restaurant Balsan and our bar Bernard’s. We are thrilled to read that we have become, along the years, your hotel of choice for a weekend getaway to pamper yourself. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We just returned from celebrating our 1st anniversary at the Waldorf. Everyone who works here is so helpful and willing to help -- above and beyond even the nicer hotels we've stayed at in the past. The gym, located, in the spa, has a good selection of equipment so we we're able to get a quick workout in. The location is wonderful! Rush Street is steps away and Michigan Avenue is a short walk.

My husband and I are hoping to make this trip a tradition and we plan to stay at the Waldorf every year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JennyKS
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear JennyKS,

Thank you so much for celebrating such a special occasion at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that your enjoyed the hotel’s location and that our team assisted making this unique celebration a little more memorable. We are thrilled to read that you will be celebrating with us again next year and perhaps the year after. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed for a weekend in February. Hotel is very nice. Staff is very courteous and strives to meet all requests/expectations. Only complaint was when I called about 20 minutes before our car was coming to pick us up, and requested our luggage to be taken down, no one ever came to get it, so we took it down ourselves. The food was better in the restaurant than the room service. The Brunch burger was great! The house car was unavailable on the few times I inquired. DVR was a nice touch in the room. We were upgraded to a King Suite, with fireplace, but once we turned on the fireplace, it would not go off, only down to low.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jessiemendez,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite; however, I regret to learn that your fireplace was not working properly. Your concerns have been shared with our Engineering team. I also sincerely apologize for our lack of assistance with your luggage. We truly strive to meet and exceed our guests’ needs and expectations and this lack of service fell far below our service standards. I have shared your concerns with our Guest Services team for internal review. Thank you for your positive remarks pertaining to our Brunch burger. Our culinary team is truly thrilled to learn you enjoyed their creations. I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to the Windy City. We will look forward to regaining your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent two nights at the Waldorf on a vacation and it was amazing. They emailed me two days in advance to see if we needed anything special for our stay and ended up arranging transportation from the airport. We arrived early (around 9am) and asked if we could get an early check in. They said that they would work on it and took our luggage and we went shopping. They called shortly thereafter and had our room rady and had our luggage all set up. The room was very nicely appointed (we had the Waldorf King Suite). All modern. The lights actually came on slowly as we entered. Very friendly staff and wonderful breakfast from room service. The spa was also wonderful. My wife got a mani/pedi and I got a 60 minute massage. Wow. The spa was amazing and the service was impeccable. Wonderful stay! Would recommend this place to anyone who wants to experience what a top five star hotel is like.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cordell E
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Cordell E,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such candid feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you had the opportunity to visit our Elysian Spa & Health Club and that the services were quite enjoyable. Thank you also for your positive comments pertaining to our In Room Dining breakfast and our service team, and for recommending our hotel. Your loyalty and patronage are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

New York, United States
Reviewed 23 March 2014

An extraordinarily beautiful hotel with an equally extraordinary staff! This was truly a wonderful experience on every level. The location of the hotel is in just the right spot with easy access to lovely restaurants, shopping and the beautiful lake. The architecture of the building including the lobby, common rooms and guest rooms is outstanding so the visuals were very satisfying. The staff was top notch truly going out of their way to accommodate our every need. We felt so well taken care of, so absolutely considered. The rooms were not only visually beautiful but were extremely comfortable with excellent amenities. I believe that I would count this hotel as one of the best I have encountered anywhere in the world (and I am very, very picky!).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Risa W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor, ambiance, and architecture. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. It is rewarding to read that you and your family felt well taken care of. Comments like yours inspire our continued efforts to create memorable moments for our guests. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Ok, given that most of the reviews are over the top positive - I'm going to focus on a few of the drawbacks: there is only one restaurant (balsan) and it is just ok. The spa is great but $$ and lacks any iced relaxation space. And the lobby is TINY, in case you had any thoughts about lounging there. That said, the bar is classy and kind of fantastic and the rooms are big - many w great views.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank KG702
Dear KG702,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite and our cozy boîte Bernard’s. I regret, however, to read that our restaurant Balsan and our Elysian Spa failed to meet your expectations. I have certainly shared your comments with our Spa Director and our Executive Chef for internal review. I hope that you will still give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

USA
Reviewed 19 March 2014

From the check-in staff to the event managers to the room service staff, this is a wonderful property and an absolutely sight for the eyes. The location is perfectly walking distance from great restaurants and shopping. The rooms are simply beautiful and beyond well appointed. The event staff here is the best I have had -- and I do events around the country for business. The food was fantastic -- both catered and room service (that chicken soup is to die for). Everything was done perfectly.

Room Tip: Higher floor suites.