“Service at its best”

Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Calgary, Canada
“Service at its best”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is my first time staying at the Waldorf and I definitely will be staying here again the next time I visit Chicago. We arrived in a rental car and the valet made life a lot easier because parking is a hot commodity in Chicago. The service is impeccable. We actually tried to tip several times and the staff refused to accept it and told us "it was a part of the service." Our room was very spacious and the room was cleaned on a timely basis daily. We booked the best of waldorf package which gives you $50 hotel reward each night you stay. The parking is $65 a night which works out to only $15 a day with the credit with multiple entry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anhtrann
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear anhtrann,

Thank you so much for giving us an opportunity to serve you on this visit to the Windy City. I am pleased to read that you found our Valet service convenient. Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our service team. Comments like yours inspire our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. I am delighted to read that you took advantage of our “Best of Waldorf” package and you enjoyed your suite. We are thrilled to read that you will be staying with us again. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Just spent a night for Mother's Day and also did the Sunday brunch at the Waldorf, Chicago. The hotel is located in an ideal location and the staff and premises are very good. Some things just didn't seem right. The entrance and lobby are stark and uninviting. The lobby itself has a very odd layout and isn't the type of place you go to hang out and chill. The health club was nice but the pool isn't much and feels very like a residence facility, which it is. Not a major deal but the morning of our brunch we called for two additional wash cloths from housekeeping and they never arrived. Like i said, not a major deal but for what we paid, unacceptable. The restaurant and food were very good but for what we paid, i'd try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael D
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear MikeyDiedrich,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay to celebrate Mother’s Day and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed our Mother’s Day Brunch; however, I sincerely regret to learn of the inconvenience you went through due to the lack of service from our housekeeping team.

I would like, if possible, the opportunity to personally speak with you to discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again. I can be contacted at Nadeem.Siddiqui@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1335.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Nadeem Siddiqui
Assistant Director of Rooms
Kijabe
Reviewed 10 May 2014

From the valet parking experience (the guys are in suits) to the quiet and comfort of the suite, we were thoroughly impressed throughout our stay! There are a number of luxury hotels in Chicago - none top the Waldorf Astoria.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

4 Thank Dan C
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Dan C,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your family trip to the Windy City and for sharing your positive review on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that your suite and our service team exceeded your expectations. We truly value and appreciate your patronage and will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, Usa
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just had a terrific stay at the Waldorf in Chicago! I was in town early for a business meeting and wanted an upscale stay in the city. The Waldorf had a great "suite" deal so I had a very comfortable place with a living room area, fireplace, balcony, dining table and good workspace. It's a very modern property with a classic look. Location is ideal, next to the great shops and eating establishments.

Everything you could want was in the room from a stocked mini bar, fridge, snacks, and complimentary water. The electronic were up to date - 2 flat screen TV's, bathroom TV in mirror, and nice iPod docking speaker in bedroom (though I've not found a hotel that has updated equipment to Apple's lightening jacks - fortunately I carry an adapter now). Getting the room controlled lighting right was sometimes a challenge but a just keep pushing buttons until you get it right.

One approach that sets them apart is their no tipping policy. No worries about having some bills handy. It certainly doesn't diminish the service... The staff was excellent - friendly, attentive, and personable. Room service was top tier - my breakfast was delivered within 20 minutes and it was delicious! Only area that was a bit under expectations was the restaurant but it was positioned as casual and the staff was out to please. I guess there's so many great restaurants nearby they weren't going to try and compete.

So if you want to treat yourself in the Windy City, I would highly recommend the Waldorf Astoria.

Room Tip: Look for deals on suites and indulge!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Mannix48
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Mannix48,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your business trip to the Windy City, and thank you for sharing your candid feedback on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your suite and you enjoyed the various unique amenities your suite and the hotel has to offer. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team, comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued efforts to make our guests’ stay more memorable. I have shared your feedback regarding our restaurant Balsan with our director of Food and Beverage. Our restaurant is going through exciting changes that I hope you get to see in the near future. Thank you for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a belated review -- I stayed there with my mother, daughter and niece over Easter weekend -- but the stay was so very lovely that I wanted to complement the hotel staff. The hotel property itself is very elegant, but not in a pretentious way. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a sitting area, kitchenette, fireplace and balcony. Lots of closet space, a huge soaking tub, and a powder room. My one tiny complaint is that the powder room's lighting was terrible, which was a shame, because with 4 ladies, we could have used the space for hair and makeup. Everyone has the nicest manners and seems to really enjoy their work. You feel like you are visiting a very rich relative, or that perhaps you have arrived at Downtown Abbey. One evening, the young man who was helpiong housekeeping make up the beds was chatting with us, and when he found that we were staying in to have a movie evening, he later sent up popcorn and sodas with a nice note. Very thoughtful. We did not visit the restaurant or bar on site, although we did order room service for breakfast (it was fine). One afternoon, we ordered a pizza from a local shop, which the girls thought was so fun. There is a nice grocery store right around the corner, and Walgreen's is across the street. The pool is not large, but it is luxuriously equipped with great lounge chairs, etc.

We stayed at the Four Seasons on our last visit to Chicago, and we were so impressed that I was a little concerned that the Waldorf would not be as nice. While both hotels and their respective staff are fantastic, I have to say that I would choose the Waldorf over the Four Seasons. The rooms are prettier, larger and many have balconies, and I liked the enclosed courtyard and lobby better.

Room Tip: Weather permitting, treat yourself to a fireplace room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank s c
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear s c,

Thank you so much for giving us an opportunity to serve you and for taking the time to post your candid feedback of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that you, your mother, daughter, and niece found comfort in your suite and enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer. Thank you for your kind compliments to our service team. I have shared your positive remarks with the entire staff as I knew they would be equally pleased to learn of your acknowledgement of their efforts to make our guests’ stay a little more enjoyable. I regret to learn that you couldn’t take advantage of the powder room in your suite. I have shared your concerns with our Director of Engineering for internal review. We thank you again for choosing us for this special getaway with your family and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here for one night in March. Beautiful lobby. We had a standard room, I think, but it was very large but super cozy - had a sitting area and fireplace. Very clean and beautifully decorated. Big bathroom with huge bathtub and separate marble shower. Very comfortable bed and nice linens. Our room did not have a view but was very quiet. Great location in Chicago's Gold Coast - walk to Michigan Avenue, Rush Street, etc. Did not visit restaurant or bar, but did have a room service breakfast, which was above average.

Room Tip: Interior room had no view but was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lmk2006
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear lmk2006,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor and ambiance and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future so you can perhaps explore our bar Bernard’s and restaurant Balsan and stay in a suite in a higher floor so you can enjoy a beautiful view. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Ohio
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have stayed here for business and for pleasure. This hotel is located in close proximity to all of the wonderful shopping and tourist attractions that Chicago has to offer! Clean, lovely and updated with luxurious accomodations!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nanc4540
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear nanc4540,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City with your family and thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read that you find the hotel’s location convenient and that you enjoy the various amenities the hotel has to offer. We truly value your patronage and loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.