“what a place!!!”

Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“what a place!!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

being i live about 5 miles away from this hotel...or palace if i should say, my stay here was a full delight in its entirety.
From the room accomodations to the staff...I had a great experience. The business center and wifi was a little peculiar..one would think they have this complete, as me being a network engineer...maybe I should consult with them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank sharpshooter430
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear sharpshooter430,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suite and the quality of service we provide to our guests. Thank you for your feedback pertaining to our wireless internet and our business center. Your comments have been shared with our IT Director for internal review. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Warren, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Many have written on the excellent service provided at this very lovely Hotel in a fabulous location. It is always "their pleasure" when thanked for the many things that help make your stay at this beautiful Hotel so special. However, when our young son realized after a frantic search that his favorite stuffed animal accidentally went out with a daily sheet change on the sofa bed, he was understandably very disappointed with the fact that he and "puppy" may have hugged for the last time. A call to housekeeping produced no immediate results, but a promise of a follow up the next day came with exciting news. Puppy had been located at the linen service and was to be returned in the afternoon. As we would already be on our way home, we were assured that puppy would be mailed to us straight away. Puppy and my son have now been reunited and all is right with the world. I certainly appreciate excellent service and am willing to pay extra for that, along with including gratuities in my room rate which is certainly such a pleasure while traveling. The special attention that we received was certainly above and beyond, and much appreciated. The housekeeping staff person who handled this for us followed up to make certain that puppy and my son were reunited, not once, but twice to provide tracking information. This is no ordinary Hotel - when you want the best Hotel in the best location, stay at the Waldorf Chicago. It is my pleasure to thank them for another great stay at there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kmiller123
Dear kmiller123,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am truly sorry to learn that your young son went through this sad and disappointing time due to an oversight from our housekeeping team. I truly apologize for this inconvenience. However, I am truly delighted to learn that the team was able to find Puppy and arrange for his quick arrival back home to be reunited with your son, where he belongs. Thank you for your kind patience and positive words pertaining to our housekeeping team’s efforts and for recommending our hotel. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I have not one bad thing to say. They arranged our airport pickup which was flawless. Checkin I was upgraded to a Gold Coast Suite. The view was incredible. My favorite stores within 2 mins. The 2 room suite was perfection. The gym offered a great class. Then able to work out early before leaving. Will def be a return client to this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lacleveland
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Lacleveland,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our Gold Coast suites, but most importantly, I am pleased to read that it was spacious and comfortable enough for you and your friends. We are thrilled to read that you will be visiting us again in the future. Your loyalty is highly valued. We will look forward to serving you and your friends again when your travels next bring you back to Chicago.

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Waldorf has many excellent attributes. The suite we stayed in was large and well appointed. The spa was beautiful. Location is good. Concierge was helpful.

There were however some slips. When I arrived there was no bellman - so no one opened the taxi door and I had to remove my bag from the trunk. That would not happen at the Four Seasons or Peninsula. When I went to the front desk there was typically a wait as there was often only one person at the desk. Housekeeping had a hiccup that was not impressive - but the housekeeping manager was appropriately apologetic. Generally speaking, the staff is not as polished at the other two mentioned hotels.

Issues notwithstanding, we had a very good stay and would recommend the Waldorf. But if it really wants to compare itself to the Four Seasons and the Peninsula (not in terms of room quality as the Waldorf is fine here) it has to ratchet up its service and training of its staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Canadian-Beagle
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Canadian-Beagle,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, our Elysian Spa & Health Club, and that our Concierge team was able to efficiently assist you during your visit. On the other hand, I regret to learn of the various inconveniences you experienced, especially with regard to the lack of assistance with your luggage at the time of your arrival and our housekeeping service. I have shared your concerns with the heads of the appropriate departments for further review and immediate action. We truly value your feedback and will hope you and your family will give us another opportunity to properly serve you sometime in the near future.

Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Loved this hotel. Stayed over Memorial Day weekend for 3 nts w my hubby and 2 teenagers. Fantastic location--close to everything, yet tucked away in a private little nook. Stayed in Gold Coast Suite--spacious, clean, well-decorated, with fireplace, balcony and 1.5 bathrooms. Thought the rate was actually well-priced given the hotel location and size of our room. Check-in was a breeze and our room was ready well before the stated check-in time. House car was really convenient--will drive you for free w/in 2 mi radius. Breakfast was good, although no organic options available. Everything considered, it is our new fav in Chicago and we will be back.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better bc of the views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kara S
Dear Kara S,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during Memorial Day Weekend and thank you also for taking the time to share the review of your visit. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the Gold Coast Suite and the various unique amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our house car service. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to your check-in/arrival process. I have shared your remarks with our Guest Services team for I know they will find equally rewarding to read of your acknowledgment of their efforts to make our guests' arrivals and departures as smooth as possible. We are honored to have become your favorite hotel in the city of Chicago. We can’t wait to serving you again should your travels bring you back or way.

Berrien Springs, Michigan
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I frequent the Waldorf often not only because of the superior service, but the relaxed atmosphere the hotel has. The no tipping policy is awesome and takes the stress out of searching for money on the spot or every time you ask for something. Last winter I arrived with my office staff and asked if they had the ability to wash my car. "Of course, Mr. Hibler! When would you like that done?" Another time we visited with our 2 puppies and the staff had doggie beds and bowls in the room for us. They even brought us a TON of shampoo so we could give them a wash after we were caught in a rainstorm.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views toward the city. Ask for a room facing north or east rather than west...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jnjhib
Dear Jnjhib,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and for your loyalty to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It is truly rewarding to read that we have become like your “home away from home”. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our no tipping policy and our service team. Our philosophy of service is to serve without any expectations to receive anything in return, except our guests’ smiles and desire to visit with us again. We will look forward to welcoming you, your wife and your puppies back, hopefully in the not far future!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My sister-in-law treated me to a weekend here in February. It was amazing. I expected it to be top-notch but the rooms, the service and location was perfection. The Spa was gorgeous. Balsan had the best brunch in Chicago. I loved it so much I'm returning in August and treating my best friend to a weekend away. It's worth every penny.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChrisAtkinson
Dear ChrisAtkinson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your visit with us back in February. I am delighted to read that not only did your experience meet your expectations, but also it was so enjoyable that you will be visiting with us again in August. Thank you for choosing us again for this special getaway for you and your friend. We truly value your loyalty and look forward to our next opportunity to making this special trip for you and your friend a little more memorable.