“Look no further in Chicago than this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #9 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Look no further in Chicago than this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the 11th floor July 17-20 so I am writing this while it's fresh in my mind. The hotel itself and location is AMAZING. We stayed in a Waldorf Suite and it was huge. It has a wet bar area with a sink, small fridge, microwave, and even a freezer with ice in it. The living room had a nice couch, TV and even a gas fireplace. The bedroom was large with plenty of drawers for clothes and even a nice large desk with plenty of electrical outlets. The TV and speakers for your Ipod were great. It also had a HUGE closet area with plenty of hangers and area for clothes and shoes. Finally the bathroom was beautiful. All the tile, large soaking tub, walk in shower and water closet were very spacious. As a tech nerd the TV INSIDE the mirror was awesome.
Now that we've covered the room lets talk about what this hotel does best and that's service. EVERY single person we encountered here was superb. From Rachael in the bar (who went to go get my wife some chocolate when she joked about it for the bar nuts they provide) to both Mark and Edward (the concierges) you CAN'T ASK FOR MORE. We thoroughly enjoyed all that we met and the no tipping policy certainly is different than most hotels of this caliber.
We loved the house car which was beautiful, and also the spa and pool.
The only negative I could say was that the elevators seemed taxed at time for the demand but that's so minute it's almost crazy to mention it.
We have been lucky enough to stay in many fine hotels and this one is as good, if not better than all of them. The people make all the difference in the world and this staff is one of the best I've seen. I can tell you that if and when we come back to Chicago we will definitely stay here. if you are looking for a beautiful hotel in a great neighborhood that will make you feel like you're "rich and famous" this is it. Take my word for it and look no further than the Waldorf in Chicago.

6 Thank Chris051676
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Chris051676,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your Waldorf suite, with all of its unique amenities, especially the TV in the mirror. Thank you so much for your positive remarks pertaining to our service team, especially Rachel, Edward and Mark. It gives me great pleasure to learn that the team was successful in making your stay a little more special. I regret to read of your waiting times for the elevators. I hope this did not cause any major inconveniences to you and your wife. We are thrilled to read that you will be joining us again in the near future. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you next to Chicago.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

As a frequent traveler, I typically discount reviews about poor service at hotels unless they are common throughout many reviews. The property is beautiful and well kept, most of the staff was helpful; however, there were just some setbacks during our stay that left a sour taste in our mouths. I think there are two points that will be important for fellow travelers from my experience:

1) If you have an issue during your stay, wait for the daytime manager to handle it. We were gently warned this by the night staff, but still requested to speak with the night manager and regret that decision. (I believe his name was Ron)

2) If there is a big price difference between the Waldorf and other top hotels, stay at the cheaper one. The thing that distinguishes good hotels from great hotels is service, so without great service, this hotel is just a 4 star and was certainly not worth the premium we paid to stay there over the other hotels we were looking at. The rooms and property were very nice, but that's not hard to find in Chicago.

The day staff was very helpful, the day manager called to discuss the issues from the night before and offered to try to make up for it. Despite the setbacks, I still don't believe I would be returning to the Waldorf strictly based on price, and I am not typically cheap when it comes to hotels. We did go on a very busy weekend, so the costs of hotels were likely inflated, but, we could have stayed at some of the other 5 stars for hundreds of dollars less than the Waldorf.

If the price is right, I think you will really enjoy your stay, if you're spending more and thus expecting more, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, like I did.

(For anyone curious what happened, My boyfriend and I had planned a special trip to Chicago after not getting to see each other for 6 weeks. After comparing hotels, we decided to splurge for the special occasion and book a King Suite at the Waldorf. Upon arrival we were given a handicap accessible, regular room with two double beds. I understand this, it happens regularly, and we arrived late in the evening, so it was completely understandable. Our issue was, we were excited for the suite and the difference in price they credited us was $50 a night, which just seems crazy on a $700 room for the difference between a suite and a regular room. I'm not sure why anyone would not pay the extra $50 for a suite?? So we called to see if there would be an opportunity for a suite to become available later in our stay and if $50 was the standard difference between the rooms (which we were assured it was) and were offered breakfast as a "we're sorry" gesture (which we weren't too interested in since we had brunch plans with friends already arranged for 2 of the 3 mornings we would be there). My boyfriend asked to be transferred to the manager to let me know what happened so they could try to avoid disappointing future customers, and this was a terrible decision. Maybe he had just had an awful day or something, but he definitely did not use the politeness and level of service I would expect from someone at the Waldorf, we have stayed at many Hilton properties and have had amazing service at most of them, so I was shocked that the manager at the top level property was one of the least helpful. At one point my boyfriend mentioned that he understood and appreciated the gesture of complimentary breakfast but we were much more interested in switching to the room we reserved than breakfast since we wouldn't even use it likely, to which the response was complimentary breakfast was not an option anyway. I don't care what level of hotel you are, if one of your associates offers something to a customer, you honor that. Reprimand the employee for offering something that is not supposed to be done (which I would be shocked if they discouraged offering breakfast to customers) not the customer. While it was definitely very minor issue, it was handled in a very frustrating and offensive way thus turning it into a bigger issue. Of course the day manager called the next day and said we were more than welcome to the breakfast (which we still never used). I cannot believe that an offer of free breakfast was something worth arguing and offending your customers over. )

Sorry for this novel of a review :D

Room Tip: If it's actually only $50 for a suite upgrade, I would go for that.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TripcorAlly
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear TripcorAlly,

Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is truly important to us. I sincerely regret to learn that your experience fell below your expectations.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak with you to further discuss the details of your visit. I can be contacted at Joe.Piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Joe Piantedosi
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Walking distance to many restaurants and very expensive shopping but also beautiful neighborhoods that are free to see! It is a no tip establishment which is nice but the service does not suffer. We had a very nice 25th floor suite (2501) with a peek a boo view of the lake. The room was immaculate, clean, lots of storage. The bathroom is spacious and gorgeous. The manager sent us a bottle of champagne and macarons for our anniversary. Very thoughtful and appreciated. Both restaurant and room service offered (we only had breakfast not lunch/dinner) a good array of choices and attentive service. Their yogurt parfait is a standout. The pool is indoors and nothing to write home about, it's a city hotel not a resort. The spa is pretty but we did not have services so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Facing the lake
3 Thank reallypickylady
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear reallypickylady,

Thank you so much for celebrating your anniversary with us at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago and thank you for sharing your review of your stay on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found comfort in one of our Astoria Suites and that you enjoyed your anniversary amenity. Thank you for your kind words pertaining to our yogurt parfait. Our culinary team is thrilled to learn that you really enjoyed it. I hope you will visit with us again in the near future so you can experience some of our services in our Elysian Spa & Health Club. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I recently stayed two nights at the Waldorf w/an old friend. The property is in a great location, the service was impeccable, the accommodations were top notch! The best part is the price wasn't too outrageous and nobody would let us tip them! They have a hotel car (Mercedes) that they will use to drive you w/in a few mile radius of the hotel. They insisted that we use it one day just to go a few blocks so we weren't late for our lunch reservation. I have nothing negative to say! Our stay was wonderful! It's a beautiful hotel as well!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank beachiemom
Dear beachiemom,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your friends’ trip to the Windy City and thank you for sharing such candid feedback on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you found comfort in your suite and that you found the hotel’s location convenient and its décor enjoyable. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our service team. Our philosophy of service is to serve without expecting anything in return, except our guests' smile and desire to visit with us again. I am delighted to read that our House Car service was useful. We will look forward to serving you and your friends again should your travels bring you back our way.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our stay was booked in celebration of my husbands birthday. We were looking to relax and unwind. We truly didn't have to worry about a thing while we were there. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with great hospitality and felt like vips. When there was a short wait for check in, we were asked if we would like water or needed help with anything. Our checkout was expedient and Wayne was fantastic. The spa services were wonderful and each member of the staff did their best to offer quality service and a relaxing atmosphere. We will be back!

3 Thank souladventurer2015
Dear travelingcara2012,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay to celebrate your husband’s birthday. I am truly pleased to read that the services in our Elysian Spa and Health Club enabled you to unwind and relax during your stay with us. Thank you for your positive remarks pertaining to our service team. It is rewarding to read of your acknowledgement of their efforts to make your stay a little more memorable. Your kind words regarding Wayne are also appreciated and have been shared with him and the team. We are thrilled to read that you will be joining us again sometime in the future. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

napoleon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

the best place to go to be treated like gold....romance is here....great location and a very relaxing bar..there were places within walking distance.(food and drinks) and many stores for shopping....Chicago is a beautiful and friendly town...

4 Thank Grace M
Dear Grace M,

Thank you for review of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and you enjoyed its surrounding bars, restaurants and great boutiques. I am also glad you had the opportunity to relax and enjoy some delightful libations in our cozy boîte Bernard’s. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back, hopefully in the not far future.

chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Gave an upgrade to us when room wasnt available.....The service was outstanding and staff very knowlegable and friendly,,,,The in room spa bath was very relaxing ... everything first class The in room food service was great and pn time that we were told..

3 Thank Robert B
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Robert B,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that your found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our In Room Dining service. Thank you for your positive remarks pertaining to our service team. I am delighted to read that you found our service efficient and friendly. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.