“Couples Get Away”

Ranked #15 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis, United States
“Couples Get Away”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

For a great getaway from the kids, we headed to Chicago and stayed at the beautiful Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It has a boutique feel but with oversized rooms and bathrooms. Wonderfully appointed rooms. The location may be without peer in downtown Chicago as you are within walking distance of almost anything you want to do downtown. Fantastic stay.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

5 Thank Scott K
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Scott K,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your couple’s getaway in the Windy City. It is a pleasure to read that you found comfort in your suite, that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor and ambiance and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way for a short getaway or perhaps a family vacation.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Milton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I just returned from a two night anniversary celebration. Although a Hilton Diamond status guest, I've never stayed in a Waldorf Astoria but having received two vouchers for complimentary stays at any Hilton property, I decided to splurge. I'm glad I did.

About a week before our stay, I received a personal email from Shaina, a "Personal Concierge Ambassador". She shared a number of services available to my wife and me and also offered to upgrade our single room to a 911 sq ft "Astoria" Suite for a $100 upcharge each night. So in short, I could surprise my wife with a foyer, separate living room with fireplace, a complete wet bar, a large bedroom and a lovely marble bathroom with a shower, soaking tub, two sinks, a TV disguised as a mirror and a private balcony all for less than a night at a Hampton Inn. What to do, what to do....... Of course I said YES!

Upon arrival to the off street courtyard, we were met by a lady who welcomed me and assisted my wife out of the car. Another gentleman whisked away our bags while yet another took our car. Check in by Casey was a breeze and upon completion he personally escorted us to our room on the 24th floor. Once inside the confines of our suite he painstakingly briefed us on the finer points of the amenities and services of the house. Before he left our bags arrived and were placed exactly as we requested. I didn't try but am fairly certain the bellman would have unpacked and hung my clothes too if I had only asked. I was beginning to sense the word "no" had been purged from every staff member's vocabulary through some sinister mind altering process.

Shortly after settling in, a lovely bottle of chilled vintage champagne was delivered in honor of our 19th anniversary with the compliments of the management. Honestly, I didn't even recall sharing that detail but apparently I must have (although the staff seemed quite adept at anticipating our needs and desires without the benefit of any verbal cues).

Thanks to Shaina's effort two days before, we had 7 pm dinner reservations at at Gibon's Steakhouse; the very same place that told me a week prior the only time they'd have available for us was 9:30 pm. I guess it really does matter who you know. We decided to make a stop at Bernard's (the bar) before leaving. Ray, Amy and Mia were all very personable and professional and made us a couple of outstanding cocktails (an old fashioned and kir royale).

When we returned to our suite it became apparent there was a slight problem with our accommodations. I know it's odd, but we like to have our room very cool to sleep, usually between 66 - 67 degrees. Despite having reduced the thermostat before departing, our room was stuck at 71 degrees. We decided to "tough it out" (as much as can be expected in the Astoria Suite) and alerted the staff the following morning. Shortly an engineer arrived who thoroughly checked the system and installed a new filter. He also reset our thermostat to the "VIP" setting (who knew there was such a thing) which now allowed us to set it to as low as 60 degrees! Only problem was, even after several hours, it still only resulted in a constant 71 degrees. Learning of our predicament, we were offered our choice of a fan or a room change. Assuming that circulating 71 degree air would not be much of an improvement over regular 71 degree air, we chose to move. That's when Eric arrived with a luggage cart to transport our belongings to our new 26th floor room which was virtually identical to our previous suite. Of course the first thing we did was to lower the thermostat which had once again been set to the VIP mode before (by now I'm starting to feel like a Rock Star!).

Once we finished dining at Balsan (the Waldorf's casual but excellent restaurant) we a made our way back to our new room and found the temperature had made it all the way down to 70 degrees (perhaps the one degree reduction was due to the slight increase in our altitude :)). Assuming it was the best that we were going to get and not wanting to move again, we decided to accept our plight (which admittedly sounds kind of funny when speaking about having to stay at the Waldorf Astoria). Almost on cue, the phone rings and it was Casey, checking to see if all was well. Upon hearing the minimal results of our cooling efforts, he sincerely apologized but I told him we'd be fine. Not wanting to leave it at that he practically insisted on sending us a couple glasses of champagne but I resisted. He then won me over with his offer to send up a couple bottles of water (as if we needed any more since every time I turned around there was a new one sitting in our room). Even I was surprised when two large chilled bottles of Voss Still Waters arrived at our door. Just then I could feel that Rock Star feeling begin to return!

So was our stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago flawless? No. But if it had been I never would have experienced the great lengths they were willing to go to please a guest (even one who really only paid $100/night). How could I not feel a certain amount of loyalty to an organization willing to go the extra mile to ensure my complete satisfaction? Will I be back? Yes.... even if I have to pay $500 a night, if for no other reason to ensure NOT having to hear the word no.

5 Thank David10_1960
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear David10_1960,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you decided to use your complimentary vouchers in our property and that your personal concierge, Shaina, was able to assist making your visit more enjoyable. Thank you for all of your positive comments pertaining to our service team, especially with regard to Casey, Ray, Mia, and of course, Shaina. I have shared them with the entire team for they are our inspiration to our continued efforts to create memorable stays for our guests. I regret to learn that the temperature in the suites you stayed in was not comfortable. Your concerns have been shared and reviewed with our engineering team. I thank you for your kind patience and understanding. We are thrilled to read that you would like to visit with us again in the near future. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a few days in August and thoroughly enjoyed this five star property. Our room had a fireplace, king bed and a bathroom with a big bathtub and separate shower. The room really felt like we were in a five star hotel which all of the appropriate luxuries including beautiful appointments, artwork and TVs everywhere we turned around. The hotel is located in Chicago's Gold Coast which provided us with direct access to shopping and restaurants. We had a delightful lunch at Nico's which is two blocks away. The concierge was extremely helpful and helped us snag reservations at restaurants that were hard to get into on short notice.

4 Thank RLissak
Dear RLissak,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay for your romantic weekend and thank you for sharing your review of your visit on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suite and all of its unique amenities, and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our concierge team. I am pleased to read that they were able to be of your assistance during your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the near future.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Great stay...we stayed in a beautiful large suite which was great for our family of six. We usually put one child in the king size bed with my husband and me and the three other young kids in the pull out...however in this hotel the two size lounge chairs could be combined to make a nice bed for my six year old....and the pull out bed had a beautiful large cushion that fit our eight year old...bonus for all of us as we all slept soooooo well. The concierge was so helpful and the bell staff was so polite and ready to assist. Our only disappointment was the breakfast...for a hotel of this caliber the breakfast was extremely limited. My kids ordered pancakes each morning.... My husband and I had an omelette but it was extremely disappointing. I had the yogurt parfait the third day which was a much better choice. Everything was extremely overpriced.... I get that the Waldorf is an upscale place but 160 bucks for 2 adults and 4 kids is outrageous... Service was just so so and the morning hostess couldn't get any less welcoming.... So my overall advice....stay here for a wonderful experience...just find another spot for breakfast. It is a great location to Michigan avenue shopping and the Hancock observatory. We will stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank N E
Dear N E,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay for your family trip to the Windy City and thank you for your candid feedback pertaining to your visit. I am delighted to read that your suite was comfortable and spacious enough for your family. Thank you for your positive words with regard to our concierge team. I am happy to learn that they were able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. On the other hand, I sincerely regret to learn that your experience in Balsan was disappointing. I have shared your concerns with our restaurant manager for immediate internal review. I am thrilled to read that you would like to visit with us again in the near future. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you and your family.

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in most of Europe's finest hotels. The Savoy and Sanderson in London, the Bristol in Paris, Gresham Palace in Budapest and many many others of that ilk.

I have never seen any of those properties as flawless. There was always a fault somewhere in my stay, however minor.

This hotel is flawless however. The rooms are perfectly sized, we stayed in a one bed suite. The views stunning, the service impeccable and without equal, more luxury hotels should pay their staff well enough that tipping is not required, the beds so comfortable I never wanted to wake.

Overall, a pleasure from start to finish and a beacon to other luxury hotels around the World.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James C
Dear James C,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suite, that our service standards did not disappoint you and most importantly, that your visit was smooth and consistently enjoyable from beginning to end. Your patronage is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you and your family again, hopefully in the not distant future.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed for four nights in one of the large suites, and I couldn't have more positive things to say about this hotel! Great location, staff and service.

If you are considering this hotel just book it! It's perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ky R
Dear Ky R,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City. I am delighted to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Waldorf in March for a weekend visit with friends. Arrived at the hotel around 9pm on Friday and were immediately offered assistance with our bags. The check-in process was smooth and my Hilton Gold status was recognized. Front desk associates were very friendly and offered us suggestions for a late dinner and provided a rundown on the amenities offered at the Waldorf. Room was beautiful…large, well designed and immaculate.

My wife utilized the onsite spa and was very impressed. She was addressed by name during her appointment and the staff remembered her name when she visited the pool the following day.

Hotel bar had a solid section of local beers and the bartenders were very friendly. We enjoyed brunch on Sunday at the onsite restaurant. The brunch was reasonably priced given that it was at the Waldorf.

This hotel is one of my favorite properties in Chicago and highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Phil R
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Phil R,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your visit with friends to the Windy City. It gives me great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed the Waldorf Suite and that you and your wife enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially the Elysian Spa & Health Club and our bar Bernard’s and restaurant Balsan. We are thrilled to read that we are one of your favorite properties in the city of Chicago. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We highly value your patronage and loyalty and will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not far future.