“Impeccable!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Alberta, Canada
“Impeccable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

Our family has stayed at some fantastic hotels around the world, e.g., The Milestone Hotel in London, England, The New York Palace Hotel, NY & Hotel Okura, Tokyo, Japan - and I have to say the Elysian Hotel in Chicago, IL, is in a class by itself. From the moment you drive into the surprising and beautiful courtyard (you cannot believe you are in the middle of a major urban centre in America) and are greeted warmly by professional, (unpretentious), welcoming staff - you know you are in for a wonderful hotel experience. The Elysian opened in December '09, so everything is new; but, the property has an 'old world', classic feel with beautiful, contemporary detailing. The fabulous amenities (e.g., restaurants, spa & fitness centre), location (!) and the staff are all tremendous and you will feel at home here. We encourage you to visit their website to see for yourself. Elegant, comfortable and impeccable. It is a MUST-stay!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank TravellersAB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2010

Beautiful new hotel with, what as a frequent traveler to Chicago, I believe are the best rooms in town: 90% large suites, fireplaces, balconies, huge bathrooms with very large walk in showers, dual bathroom sinks. Every suite also has a little kitchen area actually very well done with a concealed freezer and even a microwave.

Location is wonderful and close to everything downtown.

Service was also great - everyone was friendly and helpful.

Style/atmosphere is modern neo-art deco with lots of grays and blacks which may not be for everyone. Not my personal favorite and I think it would get old to be exposed to it all the time, but considering all the great things this hotel offers, I didn't mind it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SuitNflipflops
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

My fiance and I married at the courthouse on a Friday and decided to have a mini-honeymoon the rest of the weekend at a luxury hotel in town. I do a great deal of event planning with hotels in my job and wanted to stay away from any hotel that made me feel like I was working. I wanted a smaller, boutique-type hotel. I had heard of the Elysian when it was featured on the 190 North TV program and that it had been the site for Jennifer Hudson's Christmas special, so I decided to check it out.

It's just beautiful! A mix of contemporary artfulness and classic elegance. The courtyard makes you feel like your pulling up to a small European chateau and the lobby is gorgeous with beautful light fixtures and cool art. The service was superbe, with a courteous and attentive staff greeting you as if you were royalty. I booked a king size room based on an internet special of $345 per night; and for a stay of more than one night, the hotel provided a $100 credit! So we stayed two nights.

Prior to our arrival, the hotel called to ask if there was anything special we needed for our stay. I explained we were to be married. They automatically upgraded us to a suite and provided a complimentary plate of first quality charcuterie and cheese as a welcome. The suite had a gas fireplace, two flatscreen TVs, a spacious carrera marble bathroom with a huge shower and soaking tub, lush bathrobes and plenty of closet and drawer space. The best part was the amazing B&W ipod station that is one of the best sound systems I ever heard. Thankfully the rooms were soundproof because we used the ipod station to its (almost) full capacity.

The service was impeccable. When the pilot light when out in the fireplace, an engineer was up within a few minutes of the call to fix it. The maid did not take the tip we left the first night. I had read on Trip Advisor that the Elysian has a no-tip policy (beyond gratuities already included), but nothing was said to us about that.

We enjoyed a drink at the bar, Bernard. My husband inquired about the ginger beer he enjoyed in the room but was not on the bar menu. The server without skipping a beat got him the beer. Nice touch! The health club is immaculate and has a separate, full pilates workout room! I've never seen that in a hotel before.

The Elysian is perfectly located within short walking distances from some of the best restaurants and nightlife in Chicago. With the exception of an evening of live jazz music two blocks away at The Backroom and dinner across the street at the fabulous Le Colonial, we barely left our room. It was the perfect choice for our mini-honeymoon. I'm thrilled we chose the Elysian.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank VeronicaM2
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

The Elysian is by far the most exquisite hotel we have ever visited, including Four Seasons, Trump Tower, The Luxury Collection, St. Regis and other leading hotels in the U.S. and Europe. If I ever moved to Chicago, I would want to live in this building. It is grand in its finishes, amenities and service. We expected luxury when we made our reservations, but luxury, service and comfort do not always coincide to such high levels. Every aspect of the hotel was meticulously maintained. The other positive reviews on this website are accurate to date, as are the photos on the hotel's website.

Our wonderful experience far outweighs any minor weakness that we encountered (yes, they need cotton swabs and shower caps in the bathroom). The soundproofing in our standard king room on the nineteenth floor provided protection from city and guest noises like we were sleeping in our own bedroom. If you have never slept in a bed with perfectly pressed linens, you are in for a real treat. The free wireless internet access was lightning fast and allowed me to work easily from anywhere in our room. The food and service at both restaurants was the best we experienced during our five-night stay. When the chef learned that we did not eat pork sausage, he ordered chicken sausage for our next breakfast.

Mark was the most helpful and proactive concierge that we have ever encountered. He left nothing to chance and followed up on every detail. We visited the spa three times during our stay and each had a 60-minute massage. The spa areas, exercise room and lap pool were open to hotel guests for use without reservation. My wife is a swimmer and enjoyed swimming in the warm salt water of the elegantly tiled lap pool. The staff of the Elysian routinely greeted us by name as if we were residents.

The location of the hotel is next to Bloomingdale's and the Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton; and two blocks from the Hancock Tower and Water Tower Place mall on Michigan Avenue. Even in the 20-degree weather, we enjoyed the short walks to shopping. The circular vehicle entry courtyard is unique and works well with its doorman and bell staff who jumped to offer assistance each time we arrived.

When we requested help with our boarding passes for our return flight, the staff printed and delivered them to our room in about 10 minutes. The phones had one button for any service need. Whoever answered, helped with any request. We were never placed on hold or asked to wait.

There is more to say, but I suggest that you stay at the Elysian and discover it for yourself.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank OnOurList
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

The Elysian is unbelievable. My boyfriend took me here as a surprise on valentine's day and I was blown away by the beauty and elegance of this hotel. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated like royalty.

The fireplace was so romantic. The towels and bathrobes were plush and comfortable (and I am picky when it comes to this). The soaking tub and gigantic shower were fabulous. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud... I could go on and on.

We've stayed at most of the top hotels in Chicago (James, Sofitel, Conrad, etc.) and this is my absolute favorite! I did not want to leave and I cannot wait to go back.

1 Thank TravelGirl41184
chicago IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

I surpised my husband with a Valentine's Day overnight and wish we could have stayed longer. What a beautiful hotel---huge dreamy bathroom with tons of room, tons of carrara marble and bizzaza tiles, separate tub, toilet,and shower.

Lovely fireplace. There's plenty of closets, a great bed, plush towels and the push button room controls are easy to use. The only gaffes were no cotton, qtips or shower cap in the bathroom, constant knocking on the door from housekeeping (a no no). Room service forgot one of the items ordered.

But the kinks will probably be ironed out soon as its brand new.
We had dinner at Balsan which we truly enjoyed. The food and service were terrific. Bernard's Bar was cozy but not enough selections by the glass.

The work out facility is a mini East Bank. I've seen lots of luxury hotels but this tops them for this.
Spa looks small but upscale. Can't wait to come back.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

We have been coming to Chicago for the past 20 years and have never, ever stayed at a hotel that could rival The Elysian. From the first moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated better than the Queen of England. First class does not describe this hotel. Everyone knew not only your name but the fact that it was both our birthdays was not overlooked. The room was outstanding. The restaurants served the most incredible delicacies. We were even privileged to go into the kitchen after dinner in the Ria and meet the chef. He is incredible talented! The entire staff was first class. I kept waiting for there to be something I could complain about, no place could be this wonderful without a flaw.... I was wrong. We will never ever stay at another hotel in Chicago again. It was the most incredible experience we had had anywhere.... Period

1 Thank Peter K