“Luxury defined, with wonderful rooms, location and service...”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #15 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
USA
“Luxury defined, with wonderful rooms, location and service...”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Wonderful place to stay. I was upgraded to a suite upon checking in (without asking) and it was beautiful and well-appointed as all the other reviews suggest. Extremely quiet in the room, the terrace was noisier as it overlooked the building's air conditioning systems but still bearable. Everything was very clean and in great shape. Staff was attentive and said hello and welcome back whenever we came/went. No tipping policy is a plus. Only one minor complaint, really. The hotel's facebook page announced this week that there was now free local BMW car service, but this wasn't mentioned while we were there despite needing taxis on several occasions. I felt a bit uncomfortable asking about it since it wasn't 'offered', so ah well. Overall, a nice experience and I'd be happy to come back next time I'm in Chicago!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
Dear Traveler,

Many thanks for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay but regret that we did not place you into one of our BMW sedans. I hope you’ll allow me to connect with you privately to ensure your next visit fulfills our brand promise to you.

Kevin Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 7 July 2010

check in - friendly , quick and efficient
room - huge , very comfortable , large seating area with fireplace and flatscreen tv , separate area with desk facing balcony .....views out to the lake between the surrounding buildings , great comfortable bed with excellent quality linen facing a second flat screen tv and ipod docking station over large chest of drawers , large bathroom with separate shower , toilet , big bath to soak in and good quality toiletries which were replaced daily
service - always friendly , staff were never intrusive but always around and ready to help, advise etc
food quality - good value and always well presented , only problem was room service was a bit erratic
location - excellent , very short walk to all the best shopping

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for three nights. We had two Gold Coast Suites and were traveling with a teenager and another child in her mid-twenties. We have lots of family in town and are renovating a house in the city. The staff was suberb, opening car doors, whisking our bags or purchases to our rooms, parking and delivering our car without ever a wait (and we went in and out constantly). With the "no tipping" policy it was such a pleasant departure from constantly digging for dollars that it provided a level of relaxation not normally felt when traveling. Unlike other reviews, the food and service in the restaurant was equally wonderful and the food quality was fresh and flavorful. We travel internationally and domestically with great frequency and I can say that the overall experience was the best I have ever had in a hotel. My only complaint was the air conditioning vent which was blowing right on the bed.
Kudos to the owner who clearly gets the importance of competent service with a smile and none of the 5 star attitude!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 June 2010

This was our second trip to Chicago in as many years. The first time we stayed at the Intercontinental which was very good, but It could not come pair to the Elysian. The Elysian location is outstanding. A microcosm of fine and causal dinning, night clubs, and shopping. It is easy access to the airport on public transportation and a block away from the main intercity bus lines. The staff was more then accommodating in making dinner reservations, suggesting things to see and times of operations. We had an Executive Suite, which was over the top when it comes to, size , amenities, and pure luxury. Our room was equipped with a VI- Spring mattress which provided such an extraordinary nights sleep, that we went out the next day and bought one. Our last two stays were at La' Residence, Seim Reap, Cambodia in December 2009 and The Kempinski Ishtar, on the Dead Sea, Jordan in April. Both 4/5 Star hotels. The Elysian is a true 5 Star in every way. Thank you staff for a most pleasant stay

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sorgio
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I have stayed at many five star hotels and this one is my favorite one in chicago.
From the moment you pull into the circular courtyard you are transported into another
time and place. You are cordially greeted by all the staff. They are genuinely happy to see you and assist in anything that you may need for your stay.
We were upgraded to a gold coast suite (1200 sq feet) from the executive suite.
The decor is modern and stylish and soothing to the senses. The lighting fixtures
and art work are magnificent. I know the designer is famous but the name escapes me.
I know there is a CHANEL influence in the design. The lobby is so beautiful with its
sitting area you want to linger for a bit before ascending to your room via the gorgeous elevators.
Our room was so perfect. It was like living in an exclusive home/condo complete
with private terrace overlooking the chicago skyline, living room, dining area, fireplace,
wet bar with built in microwave and icemaker. The suite had 1.5 bath and a built in
wardrobe. The full bath was spotless and equipped with asprey "purple water"
toiletries. I was unfamiliar with this line but enjoyed their line.
The bed was bar none the most comfortable bed I have slept in. There were two flat screen TVs with HD. We had a dessert tray of macaroons presented to us for our anniversary.(20)
The exercise room and locker rooms were immaculate. The pool was a lap pool so its size may be a negative for some guests. I briefly visited the Bar or casual eating area and will hopefully have a chance to dine there next time.
All in all, you must go to the ELYSIAN. The hotel is perfect!!!!!!! It pained me to leave
this tranquil oasis. I cannot wait to return...
Your money is well spent here. You will be pampered and feel rejuvenated. Service is phenomenal.
Everyone should have the opportunity to be treated like royalty.
Once in one's life or maybe more if you are lucky.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank napervilletraveler
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night to see the Philadelphia Flyers take on the Chicago Blackhawks in game one of the Stanley Cup Final. We checked into the hotel and were pleasantly surprised to find out that we had been upgraded to suite on the 18th floor. I had a suite to myself and would definitely say that 4 people could easily stay in one due to the enormous size of them. There was a separate living room area with a pullout sofa, fireplace, and patio. The bedroom was very spacious and the double vanity bathroom was enormous. There were a total of 3 high definition TV’s in the suite and was surprised to find that there was even a TV behind the mirror in the bathroom. Another person that was traveling with me pointed this out and it was one of the neatest features that I have seen in a hotel. There is free wifi in the hotel that was very easy to connect to and very fast. The bed was about as comfortable as a bed can get and made for a great night’s sleep. There was absolutely no noise in my room from the outside or from other rooms so expect to get a great night’s sleep in complete silence. The lighting control system was start of the art and might be a bit of a learning curve for some people, but innovative none the less. We had included breakfast at the restaurant to be just “ok” as the food was alright and the service was pretty slow. However, since the hotel is relatively new this is something that they can work on to make the hotel outstanding.

Overall, if you are staying in downtown Chicago and want to be close to Michigan Avenue but away from all the craziness that surrounds it than definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I stayed here for a long weekend with my two adult daughters. I have travelled extensively around the world and stayed at some very good hotels but this has to be one of the best ever. The staff were kind and considerate. They did not hesitate when I requested to keep one room until 2.30 p.m. on the day of checkout. Although hotel food is not always the best, the 2 restaurants ( one casual , one fine dining) are as good as you find anywhere with amazing menus and terrific knowledgeable wait staff. Fabulous spa and lap pool, great workout room. This is 5 stars all around!

Stayed May 2010