“Good for lunch”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is one of the restaurants run by chef, Rick Bayless. We were a little surprised to find that the setup was one where you have to order at the counter and then your food is delivered to the table assigned to you when you entered. The tortas (really sandwiches) were excellent, as well as the guacamole; however it really was more of place we would prefer for lunch, not dinner. After we left, we realized that their sister restaurant, Frontera, located next door would have been better for a dinner. They have a more complete menu with full meals instead of sandwiches.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Terrible service. A classic example of what happens in the absence of a manager. Although take-out or sit-down sounds like a simple decision, it overwhelmed the hostess. The kitchen seemed in disarray and the food arrived lukewarm. The restaurant was not particularly crowded. I would hate to see what happens with a large number of diners. Changes are needed if they want to stay around.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place was across from our hotel and I got a sandwich and a margarita before a concert. The Sandwich was a short rib something or other and it was really, really good. Short wait, (Tuesday Night) and the sandwich was $10 or $12 and really worth it. The margarita was $10 too and really small, maybe 6-10 oz. They should be 6-7$ for that size. Atmosphere was great, we ate outside at small bar like table. Chips were good but they served the salsa (2 types) in very small dishes. Ask for double the salsa so you don't have to wait for a server.

2  Thank whitworth74
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Review is only for churros and hot chocolate... after all the raves, I was quite disappointed. Churros at best were better than the pre-made version at stalls. They were crispy and coated with just the right amount of sugar and cinnamon, but they were on the dry side and a bit too hard when you bite into it. Even dipping into the chocolate sauce that came with it didn't help. I suppose since we've had ones that were so much better in Barcelona and Paris, these just couldn't hold a candle to those.

The hot chocolate with steamed milk was another huge disappointment. I expected a frothy Mexican hot chocolate like the ones I had in Mexico, but what I got was a variation on the European version--thick and syrupy. Sorry, just not my cup.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had the veggie caldo and it was so good! Fresh veggies and lots of flavor. The guacamole with added poblano and onions was also very good. The margarita was $10, but worth it! It tasted like it was all fresh juice and it was fairly strong. Will definitely come back!