“Just a little on the bland side”
Review of Zapatista - Lincoln Park - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Waukeegan Rd.
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Zapatista has several locations in the Chicagoland area and they are themed nicely with faux brick walls with Tequilas and specials written on them and big heavy wood tables. Another nice touch is a senorita making freshly prepared guacamole at a station just outside of the kitchen area. The menu is big and has something for everyone. However, flavors are just a tad bland for my tastes. The salsa served with the obligatory chips was watery. The guacamole was ordered spicy and it did have a hotter than average heat factor mixed into it but it was missing something. We went through 3 bowls of Spicy and Regular all together. The Lamb tacos were nicely done with an orange glaze. Although no one in our party had the fajitas you could see the huge stone bowls being carried to other tables and they looked terrific. The enchiladas were piping hot and fully stuffed with chicken and cheese.The carne asada was a perfectly grilled steak to MR. I was disappointed in the beans as they were served in a very "brothy" bowl and lacked any bold seasonings. All in all a great place to pop in for drinks and bar food that has a noisy, but inviting neighborhood feel to it.

There are newer reviews for Zapatista - Lincoln Park

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Really great meal at Zapatistas. If you order the fajitas for one be prepared to take some home, or share. When it came out we thought it was for two, big portion. Yummy guacamole, tacos, sangria, margaritas, etc... Nice location in Lincoln Park.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My boyfriend and I head to Zapatista often as it is right down the street from our apartment. We recently visited the Yucatan and found that the fresh food we enjoyed there is also found at Zapatista. Some of the food is a little rich for my stomach, but it is all very good. The drinks are probably my favorite as they have numerous different tequila's and plenty of margs. I would definitely reccommend this place if you are looking for more authentic Mexican food and not the usual Americanized greasy mess you get at most places.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

I visited on 6th June and as I was on my own was shepherded to an inner part of the reataurant which even at 8-30pm was dark with no lighting above the table. I was handed a menu which you could not read. When I asked how I was meant to order if I couldnt see menu in dark I was presented with a torch. I sais I was leaving to go to a restaurantacross the road I was directed by the lady on the front desk to a table outside which I had been previously told was unavailable.The service was slow but the food was good when it arrived.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This restaurant is nicely located at the corner of Fullerton and Clark, a very busy intersection. The decor is nice and seating reasonably comfortable. The service is reasonable as well. The food, however, is really iffy. Most of the food is pre-made and overcooked. The lamb chops were clearly made yesterday and heated up before serving. The vegetable is not very fresh. Some of the dishes are very greasy. While some may like the location and the bar, there are lots of Mexican restaurants in the area and many are much better in terms of food.