“Well worth the price, great location!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This was our second stay at Palomar in Chicago and was well worth it once again. From the email I received online the day before check-in asking if we needed anything, to the day we checked out, they take care of their guests. I'd also recommend to sign up for a Kimpton Stay In Touch account. Its their rewards program, but much more. It allows Kimpton to get to know you and your likes when it comes to your hotel stays....a little extra you won't get elsewhere.
No, I don't work for the hotel, but I travel a lot and have had a lot of different hotel experiences. All positive here. Very clean, they are on their A game. Room service was quick, expensive like anyone else, but quality food and presentation. Rooftop pool was great, could be larger, but they're working wtih limited space so they made great use of it....with an outside deck/lounge also.
You can't go wrong with free coffee in the mornings and free wine for an hour in the evenings. They set this up right in the lobby/lounge area.
Location was great. Its just off the main strip of N Michigan Ave where the world of shopping is. Great restaurants, bars, and sandwich shops all within just a block away.

Room Tip: High Floors are great for the view, but Corner rooms have it all with floor to ceiling windows.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Relaxed and comfortable, with the amenities you want, this hotel shines. My room/bath/closet were large and spotlessly clean. Everyone on the hotel staff is friendly and helpful. I can highly recommend a Concierge named Mark; he was knowledgeable and kind.

Room Tip: My room on the 14th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Dear washdcer:

Thank you for yoru review of our property. We truly appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back at the Palomar Chicago soon. Also, we could not agree more about Mark our concierge. He has an incredible wealth of knowledge about Chicago.

Best regards,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed here over the Labour Day long weekend for 2 nights.
The rooms are large and clean, bedding very comfortable. Cute animal print robes and Etro products for the bath.
Great location and within walking distance to all the shops and sights. Close to a hop on hop off bus stop, which is the best way to see the city (we did a couple of the neighbourhood tours too, which were very worth while).
We attended the wine hour both nights we were there - nice selection and one night they had pizza as an appetizer.
We didn't try the pool, but it looked lovely as did the outdoor patio.
Staff was beyond friendly. Was especially thankful to the bellman who called me a cab and helped with the luggage at 5am when I was leaving.
My sister changed to this hotel at the last minute, without me knowing (she had originally booked the James). Like other Kimptons, this hotel allows animals. Not sure if it was because of the long weekend or what, but there were animals everywhere - behind the reception desk, in the lobby, in the elevators. No pets on our floor, but I definitely still woke up congested. Again, ok for 2 days, but couldn't take a week here. It is such a shame that all Kimptons are pet friendly for those of us with pet allergies.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank happysun16
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Hotel Palomar was in a great location and the rooms were a great size as well. The only concern was that there was construction across the street and getting a taxi was a bit disasterous because they didn't want to come close to the hotel because of the difficulty. We were not warned about the construction when we booked the hotel and it would have been fair to warn us, I believe. My husband was on business, I wasn't. I went along for pleasure.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy of course and ask if there is any construction going on before you book...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed here for a business function and had selected the Palomar for it's location. I've stayed in these hotels in Dallas and San Francisco, and have always been pleased with the rooms and the service. Modern, comfortable, plenty of amenities in the bathroom, always a plus. The service is friendly without seeming overdone. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Hotel is located close to a red line station in Downtown Chicago (GRAND Staton). Although i didn't spend too much time in the hotel premises due to day long meetings I'm glad i had the chance of tryng out the hotel while still fresh. The opening wasn't too long ago. The check in staff was very friendly.Theres free Wifi for "Kimpton InTouch members"-Membership is free. The rooms and baths are spacious for those who care. Breakfast will cost you in this hotel but there are so many options just out the door. There a wine tasting hour every evening in the lounge next to the lobby ..for free(nice place to unwind after a hard day's work). There' also an in House Bar if you really worked hard:.-). Bring your speedo/bikini too if its that time of there year--theres also a swimming pool. Unfortunately i didnt try breakfast..Also take advantage of the free paper if you're interested for

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My 1st time in Chicago and being a huge an of Kimpton Properties I thought I would try the Palomar in Chicago. The location was perfect for walking around and exploring. The staff was polite, helpful and made sure all our needs were met.

The rooms were super clean, the pool was nice n cool which was perfect as it was very hot out while exploring the area. Beautiful views of the city from the patio deck outside the pool area.

I am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends