“Right in the middle of it all”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Right in the middle of it all”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

First time at the Palomar and first time at a Kimpton Hotel. We got a great weekend deal with the Toast to Chicago rate. The hotel is right in the heart of it all, close to fabulous restaurants, bars and of course shopping on the magnificent mile. Check-in (and check-out) was a breeze. The staff was very welcoming and helpful (even before we arrived). If you drive to the hotel, Valet Parking is the only real option (at a steep $48/day), but if you need access to your car it is only 5-10 minute wait for pick-up. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable (although police sirens were often heard at night from 15 floors up,,,but that is probably same for anywhere in this city). There was a large flatscreen TV, mini-bar and safe, but no coffee maker in the room. However, a coffee maker can be requested. Plenty of fresh coffee is also available in the lobby at breakfast time and complementary wine hour in the evening. (There is also a Starbucks just a block away). I recommend you join the Kimpton Loyalty program before you go (it's free) ...as you will get free WiFi, $10 freebies from the (very expensive) mini-bar and a free newspaper in the morning. You can also make you room preferences known..and they do the best to accommodate.
We did not dine at the hotel other than Sunday brunch, but the quality and service was very high. Like most places, the bar was extremely busy in the evening, but had an excellent selection of wines, beers and spirits.
For the value we got out of our stay, we would definitely return here again !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Paul S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
west blo
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The hotel is great and the sable resturant inside makes it even better. Very close to shopping on michigan ave. it's connected to the nordstrom mall. Win win!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Oliver, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at the Palomar in Chicago and had a great time. The hotel is central to everything so we were able to walk everywhere. The staff were super friendly and welcoming. We had an upgraded room that was huge!! Mark, he's the fabulous Concierge", had Garrett's popcorn and Goose Island beverages waiting for us in our room upon arrival. I can't say enough good things about Kimpton Hotels. I wish they were in Europe - time to expand Kimpton!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 May 2012

The Palomar consistently exceeds all of my expectations and their attention to detail continues to surprise me on each visit. The staff is attentive and the level of service is commendable. The week of my stay they contacted me to see if there was anything that they could do to assist me with my trip. Their timing was perfect and the Palomar was able to make dinner reservations for me prior to my arrival. This saved me time and left a favorable impression on me. The King Spa suite is worth the extra expense. I appreciate how quiet the rooms are when compared to other hotels in the area. The roof top terrace is a find! Sable restaurant has a great atmosphere and the fresh sorbets are worth the visit. The server recommended the apricot and mint combinations, and I can not stop thinking about it! I also recommend stopping by the wine tasting that they offer. It is a great way to start out the evening. The elevators can get crowded during peak times so allow a few extra minutes. I will be staying there again at the end of June and will post an update. I highly recommend the Palomar!

Room Tip: The King Spa Suite is great!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My friend (visiting from UK) and I had a perfect stay at the Palomar. If you have never stayed at a Kimpton property you must give them a try. Everything from check-in to check-out was perfect including transportation arrangements, drinks in the bar, the spacious-modern-clean-comfortable room and morning coffee/tea in the reception area. We didn't partake in the evening wine reception (as we were never in on time) but I think it is a great perk. In the future the Palomar is the only hotel I will be booking when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear LITTOC:

We truly appreciate the great review you just posted. Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TA community.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

All the best,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
Portsmouth
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The hotel is clean, bright and rooms are spacious.
Staff are happy and cheerful and it makes a big difference!
We were given a coffee machine for the room when we asked about a kettle and bottles of water when we mentioned we were hot on our return one afternoon.
Added to that the lovely idea of a wine reception each afternoon during which you can meet fellow guests and it's hard to beat this hotel.
I would recommend going to the 17th floor pool area later at night to see the spectacular sight of Chicago illuminated.

Room Tip: Ask for your preference - we always ask for quiet and haven't been disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear PortsmouthLegaleagle:

Thank you so much for the kind review you just posted on TA. We are very pleased that you had a really good time and that you enjoyed all Chicago has to offer.

We hope to see you back with us soon.

All the best,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Was in Chicago for a conference and my colleagues were all staying at various hotels. Mine was hands-down the best. Great staff, big room which was clean, stylish. Wonderful amenities that my friends at other hotels had to pay extra for. It really was wonderful. The only negative would be how close it was to Nordstrom (negative for my wallet that is!).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business