“Best Customer service pre-arrival!!! Have yet to stay!!!!!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I did my research for a hotel in Chicago and decided on the Palomar Chicago based on trip advisor, customer service pre-arrival, location, and amenities. In booking the reservation and trying to get the best price, I made a few calls regarding third party hotel reservations and a travel agency. The reservation staff (at least 5 separate calls including registering for the Intouch program) were the most courteous and knowledgable. Everyone was patient with my inquiries and let me know that I had a valid reservation through Magellan Vacations, a luxury travel agency than offered a better price for my 4 night stay than TA or any of the third party companies on the web. I was embarrassed to ask about the travel agency for fear I had taken business away from the hotel but was assured that was not the case. I was so impressed I had to speak to a customer relations specialist and let him (Jeremy) know how well I had been treated by the Palomar/Kimpton reservation staff. Another VIP reservation staff member (G.N.) was also exceptionally helpful via e-mail. Wow!!! They appreciate we are celebrating a wedding anniversary, birthday and will be bringing our 10 year old son. I was asked what would make the trip special and any extras I needed. What pleasure it was and I am sure the hotel will be as fantastic as my many calls pre-arrival. Thank you one and all at Palomar reservations and customer relations (Jeremy!!). Now I just have to arrive on Friday to really find out what the hotel is all about!LOL!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Var C:

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review without even staying with us yet. We look forward to having you arrive this Friday and to make your stay very special.

Enjoy Chicago.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I had a terrible experience. My things MYSTERIOUSLY disappeared during my stay from my room. Management was completely incompetent dealing with it. Nothing more frustrating that having people not believe you when you claim your things are MISSING!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mfsan

Dear mfsan:

Thank you for your first time review of our property.

Since it is always important for Tripadvisor readers to hear from both sides of the table I would like to make sure we have some feedback for you. We understood from you that a pair of earrings and tweazers were missing from your room. After investigating the issue and doing a full lock read and talking to our staff, we were not able to locate the items. After your discussion with our front office manager in which you made clear you were not happy with our response, and after we offered to replace your earrings as a good will gesture, we find ourselves at this point.

I would like to apologize that you are dealing with lost items, but I sincerely feel that we have followed the neessary steps to rectify this situiation.

Thank you.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

I'll keep this short and sweet... the Palomar is a great hotel in a great location. My wife and I stayed here while visiting Chicago for a friend's wedding. The room is great with a big 'ole jacuzzi tub, comfy king-sized bed and big floor-to-ceiling windows which allowed us to take in the cityscape. I definitely recommend staying here is you are visiting downtown Chi-Town

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear dgrumm:

Thank you so much for your review - we are so glad you had a great stay and can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Stayed at the Palomar for the Notre Dame/Miami game 10/4-10/7. It was also the weekend for the Chicago Marathon, which passed in front of the hotel. That in itself speaks to the location of this great property. Large room was upscale with every amenity, including jacuzzi. Especially liked the lobby lounge; very comfortable and terrific coffee. Front desk staff was consistently helpful and I liked the fact they were dressed to the nines. Very professional image. I've stayed at other nice facilities downtown but none compare to the Palomar. I'll be back...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear OpaSteve:

Thank you so much for your review - we are so pleased you had a great time and that you enjoyed the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

The economic recession was awful for those of us living for points and status. In the last two years, I wasn't able to travel on business as much as currently. After being downgraded by everyone I had been loyal to for years, I've decided to think about who gets my business now that things are picking up and evaluating whether I got real service or just service I was willing to put up with because I was a top tier member.

Hotel Palomar continually impresses me with the cool stuff they do, but my visit to Chicago has made me believe that they are my new choice when available. I had a meeting run late and was forced to take a red eye, which means I arrived in Chicago at 6 a.m. I was so exhausted and I called the hotel and told them my circumstances and they allowed me to check in early on my day of arrival--real early. I could not have been more thankful.

I get my 4 hours of sleep and go to my meetings and I come back and they have cleaned my room--totally unexpected since I arrived early. Again, amazing service...clothes that were all over the place in a hurry were all nicely folded. The ironing board put away and the bathroom was all neatly organized.

The wine social hour is my favorite part of the Hotel Palomar (along with the fact that they are very pro-dog and I LOVE this new thinking!!). People actually come together in the living room and actually talk and socialize--it's awesome.

And, don't miss their restaurant--always hot.

Hotel Palomar--you were so good to me that I intend to make you my new favorite!!

One other note--the Palomar sits next to Nordstrom, which was a big life saver when I needed a new shirt for dinner.

Room Tip: Higher rooms seem to have difficulty with cell service...take the lower levels.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear adgrad:

Wow - thank you so much for writing such a fabulous review and for making us your new home in Chicago when possible. We truly appreciate all of your feedback and we are so glad that we were able to accommodate all of your needs.

We can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Palomar for three nights the Weekend of the Chicago Marathon, which he ran. From the time we checked in until we checked out, the staff was friendly, professional and helpful. They were very familiar with the marathon and eager to help us figure out where we needed to be and how to get there. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. We enjoyed both the complementary cocktail hour in the evening and their delicious coffee in the morning, in the living room. The hotel also put out a complementary breakfast of fruit, granola, Gu packs, juice and water for the runners the morning of the marathon. The hotel is in a perfect location just a few blocks from the Magnificent Mile and right next to a Red Line stop on the transit system. As an added bonus for me (marathon spectator), the marathon passed right in front of the hotel. We definitely plan to stay here again the next time we find ourselves in Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear AnnSterling:

We are so glad you had a great stay with us and that the Chicago Marathon was a success. Congratulations to your husband. I could not agree more - the location is fantastic.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Chicago is full of hotel, many of them luxury standard ones. We were so happy with Palomar hotel, it always seemed the best to us.
Great staff in the reception (thank you to all, especially Mark and Jean Luc), bar, room service ... Friendly and nice atmosphere.

Room Tip: Chicago view and high floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear AgnesbBodrum:

Thank you so much for your short and sweet review - we really appreciate it. Thank you also for mentioning the names of our great staff members - we agree - they are awesome.

Safe travels,