“lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kathmandu
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Our first time at a Palomar. I have stayed in the Monaco in San Francisco and Denver and I must say I enjoyed the Palomar a bit more. The room was spacious with just the frills needed for a comfortable stay. Happy hour for wine and a free drink were welcome. Ate at the Sable restaurant which lived up to its reputation. Perfect evening topper was the bar; great mixologists who take the time to help you choose and then execute. Bed could have had a softer pillow top.

Overall all was a fantastic stay in a great town.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank baboulas9
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear baboulas9,

Thank you so much for sharing your kind comments regarding your recent stay with your family. Wonderful to hear that you had a lovely time and we very much appreciate your business. We certainly welcome you back for your next visit and until then, safe travels always!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great location in downtown Chicago with fabulous restaurant adjoining. Wonderful breakfast and dinner. Comfortable, modern rooms. Nice, free happy hour in lounge. Very friendly staff.
Ugly, but fun bathrobes.

Room Tip: Less traffic on higher floors but all good.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kendra H
Dear Kendra H,

Thank you for your kind review. We really appreciate your business and we hope to see you again for your future travels to Chicago. Glad to hear you found the bathrobes fun!

Kind regards,

Arkansas
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have been to Chicago many times and stayed in many great hotels. The Palomar is my favorite for several reasons- the service can not be beat, the location is great and the rooms are comfy and nice. The hotel restaurant/lounge is great too- for cocktails in the evening and for dining. We have stayed at this restaurant for our annual girls trip for the past 4 years and can't imagine staying anywhere else. If you have the opportunity, upgrade to the 1 bedroom suite- it is SO nice! I love that the location is 2 blocks behind Michigan so it is convenient for shopping but off crazy Michigan Ave. Highly recommend this hotel- you won't find a better place to stay! Cant wait to be back next year!

Room Tip: upgrade to any of the suites if you have the opportunity. So much more comfortable!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovetogoAR
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear lovetogoAR,

We are truly humbled by your very gracious review. Thank you so much for sharing. I love to hear when our guests are able to enjoy everything we have to offer, including Sable Kitchen & Bar, and ultimately the Chicago River North experience. Thank you for continuing to stay with us each year for your annual girls' trip, and please feel free to reach out to me directly when you are ready to plan next year's, if I can assist in any way!

Very kind regards,

illinois
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and two son's recently spent a weekend at the Palomar in downtown Chicago. We were celebrating a birthday and worked with the concierge to locate a local florist to provide flower's for my wife's b-day dinner. Both florists recommended were excellent and provided delivery to the hotel.

Our room was clean, well appointed and ready for us after a typical weekend commute into the city. The valet and the front desk staff were courteous, efficient and friendly. We will definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IllinoisFamilydude
Dear IllinoisFamilydude,

First off, Happy belated Birthday to your wife! I'm glad to hear that you all enjoyed your weekend here in the city and that you were comfortable at our hotel. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and we are very appreciative of your kind comments and overall review. We do hope to see you again soon for your next birthday celebration!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I spend a lot of time in hotels. I have stayed in a lot great hotels. The Palomar is a rare combination of excellence in service, atmosphere, location and price.
We checked in at 4pm on a Friday. Within 10 minutes of being getting out of the car, we were in our suite and staring out over an amazing city skyline.
We asked for recommendations from the doormen, the front desk staff and the house keepers. They were all helpful and very honest about what they thought you should do in Chicago.
The complimentary wine hour in the evening and the coffee and tea selections in the morning all added to the experience.
My best guess is that there are 12-15 great restaurants within 5 minute walking radius of the hotel. The shopping is easily accessible, as well as the subway access being on the corner.
Through the front desk we arranged a car service and it was reasonably price, very reliable and the drivers were all very professional and courteous.

Room Tip: Corner suites are worth the money!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J S
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear JS,

It is absolutely wonderful to read such a kind review and I cannot thank you enough for sharing with the Trip Advisor community! Thank you for choosing to stay with us here and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our neighborhood of Chicago and that you encountered great service throughout your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Chicago!

Kind regards,

Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here the Evenng of Saturday, November 2nd for our Wedding Anniversary. I wanted the night to be perfect for My Wife and I had been dealing with the Concierge, Mark, well in advance. He went above and beyond and exceeded ALL expectations! I was impressed, but more importantly to me, so was My Wife. Dinner at The Signature Room, some shopping on Michigan Avenue and a Couple's Massage that Evening in our room. Mark was a big help for me in planning and helping with everything in advance. He even had a room upgrade for us, as well as a personal note and a complimentary bottle of wine in the room waiting upon check in. This Concierge and Hotel KNOW how to make people FEEL like VIP's! Our Portrait Suite was beautiful and huge. Couldn't ask for more! We were given a Suite on the 17th Floor and we didn't hear any sirens or street noise as I saw in a few other reviews. I had mentioned this when we made the reservation as My Wife is a light sleeper. And once again, Mark took care of Us!... A stay at The Palomar will make you feel like Royalty! Melissa was great and super friendly as well and she helped us with both checking in and checking out! Poor Girl works too much she was there to take care of us for both! Lol! But always with a smile... A stay here is certainly one you will enjoy. Thanks again to Mark and the Staff at The Palomar for making Our Wedding Anniversary a memorable one :)

Room Tip: The Higher the better apparently. We stayed n the 17th Floor and heard no street traffic at all.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear KevinOM,

I know that we have already corresponded via email regarding your recent visit with us for your wedding anniversary, but I wanted to reach out here as well to say thank you, so very much for all of your praise and wonderful feedback from your experience. It is absolutely terrific to hear how great your time with us was, as well as your memorable encounters with our concierge, Mark, and our front desk associate, Melissa. They are both special people who truly care about putting smiles on our guests' faces - and are true assets to our hotel and company. I thank you kindly for mentioning their names here as I know that it means a lot to them to know your high degree of satisfaction with your stay. On behalf of our entire team here at the Palomar, we wish you and your wife a Happy Anniversary, and we certainly welcome you back soon!

Shorewood, Illinois
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I was very impressed by the service received here. The location was excellent...within walking distance to everything we wanted to do. Check in and out was quick and friendly. They paid attention to every detail...even sent a bottle of wine to the room for my husband's birthday! Complimentary wine hour was great...flatbreads they served were delicious. I highly recommend trying drinks at Sable, adjacent to Palomar...they were unique and tasty. I would absolutely stay at this Hotel again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear asil24,

Thank you so much for your gracious review here on Trip Advisor. We certainly love to hear when our guests truly enjoyed their visit, especially when celebrating a special occasion - please wish your husband a belated Happy Birthday! I do thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope you will do so again for your next trip into the city...perhaps for some holiday shopping in December...?