“Exceeded expectations”

Ranked #11 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I am writing this as we are preparing to check out because I so much enjoyed the stay. We were here for three nights to celebrate my husband birthday. We had a wonderful room on 16th floor with a great view if the city lights. The Christmas lighting of distant buildings puts you in the holiday spirit. The location in the River North area is wonderful making it excessive to both the loop and the miracle mile and gold coast. The accommodations are extremely comfortable with nice extras like animal print bathrobes and a in room safe. They offer a nice coffee service in am and wine at five, making great use of lobby and public space. The staff was extremely attentive and helpful. Although the hotel was full with a conference the staff did a good job attending to our needs. I picked this hotel due to discount on parking for hybrid vehicles - I appreciate the support for such things. The only down experience we had was in the bar were service was slow. This hotel is a great choice if you like personal touches and great accessibility to the happening areas of town. We will return when we visit again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gratzparker
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear gratzparker,

We very much appreciate your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that you and your husband had such a nice visit here in Chicago to celebrate his birthday! I love to read where our guests were able to truly enjoy all of our little Kimpton quirks and perks such as the animal print robes and our wine hour in the living room. Please know that our doors are always open and we do look forward to your next vist!

Happy Holidays,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
New York
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is a must stay! I went here for an anniversary with my girlfriend and would never stay anywhere else. We stayed for 3 nights and 4 days and the place was incredible. This place defines elite hospitality. There customer service was so good they even refunded me for the charge to use the hotel computer. This place was clean and in a great location. There is access to a gorgeous pool and rooftop views. I believe we upgraded our room to include a hot tub but I am sure even there standard rooms are amazing.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a higher room with a hot tub. I am sure all rooms at this hotel are amazing.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frankie01225
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Frankie01225,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your kind review here from your stay with us back in May. Allow me to wish you and your girlfriend a happy (belated) anniversary! Your praise and recommendations are very much appreciated and we certainly hope to see you again for a future visit!

Have a wonerful holiday season,

orlando
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Recently had a quick overnight business stay at the Palomar in Chicago and wished I could have stayed longer. This hotel is in a great location and the valet (Mark) and front desk staff (Robbie) are top notch The hotel decor is chic. The room was clean with a beautiful wall of windows which offered a great view. The room amenities included a fantastic bathroom with soaking tub after a long cold chicago day! Definitely op for a suite if you can.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suite is awesome!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lcostin
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear lcostin,

Great to hear about your wonderful stay here at the Palomar Chicago! Thank you for recognizing Mark and Robbie as top notch - I would have to agree! They are both very appreciative and send you their gratitude. Please think of us again the next time you are in town and I wish you a happy holiday season!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel was wonderful. We stayed with our two kids. The pool is great in the city. Location is outstanding, close to restaurants, close to the blue and red lines. The room was clean, service was exceptional. We very much enjoyed afternoon refreshments and wine in the lobby. For the price in downtown, it is hard to beat. When we go back to the city, the Palomar will be on our list of hotels to book a room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary N
Dear Mary N,

We very much appreciate this wonderful review and I am happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your visit. I certainly love to hear that we will be on your list of where to book a room next time you are in Chicago - and hopefully at the top of that list! Thank you for choosing us for this past visit and I wish you a happy holiday season!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I'll start with the positive aspects first. The location was good for exploring the area, whether on foot, by metro, or by boat. The Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue) was only three blocks away, with loads of shops and restaurants along the way. As for the room, it was clean, comfortable and quite spacious. Now with the less-than-positive aspects. Although my room was on the 10th floor, the noise level was unacceptable. The traffic noise was hard to ignore, no matter what time of day or night. As I was on the 10th floor (of 17), I wondered if the noise was less prominent on higher floors. As I inquired of my colleagues on higher floors, I learned that they had the same complaints. The elevators were consistently slow, painfully slow, I might add. As I was attending a conference all week long, I had to adjust my timing each morning to ensure that I left sufficient time to wait...and wait....and wait...for the elevator. Hard to believe that there were only two elevators for a 17-story hotel in mid-town Chicago. Beyond that, the staff at the front door left a lot to be desired. We weren't truly sure of their actual purpose, as they never once greeted us, or held open a door, or asked if we needed a taxi, etc. They just stood around the entrance, seemingly hoping guests needed valet service. As there are loads of other hotels in Chicago, I would choose another one for my next trip.

Room Tip: Although I was on the 10th floor, the traffic noise was far too loud.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank MOE1229
Dear MOE1229,

I thank you for staying with us here at the Palomar Chicago and for sharing your comments from your recent visit. Certainly sounds like you did not enjoy your stay with us, overall, due to our location with the high energy street noise, and our elevator services. I can certainly understand how both of these issues would frustrate you, and I can tell you that your feedback has not gone unread or unaddressed. I am very sorry for these challenges, as well as your encounters with our front entrance team being inconsistent with thier service levels. Definitely an area that will also be addressed. I do understand if you choose not to return, but I hope that you would reconsider knowing that we will do our best to rectify these issues. I do wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.

Kind regards,

Newman Lake, Washington
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed two nights this past weekend.

Hits -
* Great Location a couple blocks west of Michigan Ave and a few blocks north of the theater district, 7/11 right next door for anything you need

* Great front desk staff, they have almost anything you could possible forget, we used a lint roller for example, nice touch

* Room was clean, large and had floor to ceiling windows, ours was a King Spa room, great views looking west

* Great bar and restaurant on site, Sable, one of the best in town according to TA reviews

Misses -
* Our bed was hard, both me and my wife left with back pain, not sure if this is isolated to our room or not, for being on 16th floor we were also able to hear car noise quite easily...

* Concierge was a surprising let down, only once did we have doors opened for us, no "hello" or "good evening" from any of the young men, asked for a cab and he actually suggested we walk 2 blocks to catch one... it was 10 degrees outside and my wife was in a short dress for a show with heels... just plain disappointed

* We were in hotel Friday to Sunday, on Saturday we were gone for about 5 hours and our room wasn't cleaned, not sure if this is normal, but not what we expected from this hotel

* We were charged for in room dining twice, only used once, hotel did remove the charge, but sometimes folks don't check, first time this has ever happened to us, great staff experience here though, no arguing with us what so ever... good job

I have mixed feelings overall, I think you can't go wrong here but temper your expectations a bit

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dsl82899
Dear dsl82899,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit. Simply put, it looks like we clearly dropped the ball here on some services and quality of interactions that should have been executed properly. Please accept my apology for these challenges and know that we take such feedback very seriously and work to improve in all necessary areas. I do appreciate your kind comments on the front desk associates, your guest room being clean and nicely appointed, and the excellent reputation of Sable Kitchen & Bar. I can assure you that if you do choose to stay with us again, we will have improved in these areas, and I am confident that you will not be disappointed!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I read a LOT if reviews before settling on this hotel for my husband and my first trip to Chicago. I saw "great location" and that's true. It's neat and clean as well. The vallet parking is expensive but efficient. I also saw a review that said it was loud and hard to sleep which I overlooked. I can't wait to go home so I can sleep. We were on the 12th floor and I woke up at least five times each night bc of how loud the street traffic was. We were also lucky enough to have done very frisky neighbors who kept us up most of the night. Very thin walls!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank FLgrl13
Dear FLgrl13,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here from your stay earlier this month. I am happy to hear that our service levels and your guest room was at a high standard, and that you were able to enjoy the area. Please allow me to apologize for the less than satisfactory aspect of your experience in terms of the outside noise. We are certainly in a vibrant and energetic neighborhood in the city, which is certainly never quiet, to say the least! I am also sorry for your "frisky" neighbors with whom you had to contend for some peace and quiet! Moving forward, if you do choose to stay with us again, we can definitely try our best to place you into a corner room which would eliminate one neighbor. I do thank you for staying with us and I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Kind regards,