“Amazing Experience”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I planned a last minute trip to Chicago with our two young children, ages 22 months and 4. After booking the trip, I thought what am I getting myself into, freezing Chicago weather and toddlers, but thanks to Hotel Palomar, our trip couldn't have been more fun. From the moment we arrived we were taken care of, and most importantly, so were our children. From the pet goldfish waiting for us in our room to the 17th floor pool, our kids were in heaven. Then we found out they were doing a screening of Elf one evening complete with popcorn and a hot chocolate bar with all of the fixings! It was perfect, my husband got us amazing "adult" beverages from the Sable Kitchen bar connected to the hotel, while our children sipped their hot chocolate. While I'm on it, we're sort of foodies, and the Sable Kitchen was excellent. We had a wonderful Saturday morning brunch. Seriously, check out the place, you won't be disappointed. The front desk staff was very helpful with directions, train connections, kid-friendly (and yet good) places to eat. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and large enough even with a crib, which was graciously provided by the hotel free of charge. We had a great time exploring Chicago museums, shops, and restaurants, but honestly, I think our kids will remember their experience at the hotel. Thanks Kimpton!

3  Thank Mary C
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Mary C,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. It is wonderful to read that you and your family truly enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to help make some fun memories for everyone. Your recommendations and praise do not go unnoticed and for them, we are very appreciative. I thank you for choosing to stay with us and please come back and see us soon!

Happy Holidays,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,797)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Nice hotel, clean rooms, great location. Exercise room was nice & restaurant/bar attached to hotel is very good. Would stay here again. Wine & pizza at 5p, coffee & hot chocolate in the morning. Very helpful and knowledgeable staff!

Dear TravelinMonkee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us. Very nice to see that you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We do appreciate your business and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked this hotel for my daughter's 16th birthday (shopping and more!) and it was very nice. It is in a great location, right at State and Illinois. A short walk to the Mag Mile and Water Tower Place. It is very elegant, yet friendly and inviting. The staff were very nice and not snooty at all. SO helpful and pleasant. This was also one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. Beautiful decor. I only have one "heads-up" comment (not a complaint). This hotel is close to a fire station, you will hear sirens all through the night, so bring some ear plugs (unless you are a heavy sleeper!).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Toni F,

Great to hear that you had a wonderful birthday visit for your daughter's sweet 16! Thank you for your kind comments about our associates as well as noting the cleanliness of your room. We very much appreciate such feedback and I certainly thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Chicago Palomar.

Enjoy your holiday season!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

A friend made our reservations so we were not completely sure what we were going. The location was very good, just around the corner from the new Eatery. The staff was terrific, friendly and always making sure we had what we needed. Saturday night we ended up with friends and not really sure where to go and have a drink and talk. The hotel bar was jamming but we couldn't find a place to sit. So we asked to be served in the living room and our waiter was exceptional. We felt very special being treated like this. The room was very clean and well appointed. We will definitely be back.
We also had breakfast and the food was delicious, loved the bacon jam!

Dear cwithp,

It is great to hear that you were pleasantly surprised with our hotel when your friend booked your reservation! Also great to hear that we were able to accommodate you in our living room when there were no tables available at Sable. Please come back and visit us again soon and I wish you a happy holiday season!

Reviewed 10 December 2013

My friend and I took a girls' weekend trip and stayed at the Palomar after I had stayed there last year and told her about how good it was. The Palomar certainly delivered again!
We arrived very late due to flight delays, and they didn't have the kind of room we had requested, so Bobby graciously accompanied us to an apartment next door on the 34th floor with spectacular views of the city. The following two nights we were back in our regular room, and we came back from a long day shopping to find a bottle of wine and cheese plate for our "trouble" at having to move rooms.
Everything about this hotel is wonderful: great location, enthusiastic, welcoming,helpful, and friendly staff (thanks Bobby and Jared!), cozy sitting room with warm fireplace where they served wine, hot chocolate, and cider with all the fixings in the evenings and coffee in the mornings.
Sable, the restaurant and lounge, is a trendy place offering great drinks and eats......the lamb burgers are to die for! The bartender even made us a drink we requested which was not on the menu.
When our flight back to DFW was cancelled due to weather, we called the hotel and got an even better rate than we had paid and were welcomed back with vouchers for drinks at Sable.
The location of the Palomar is great, near to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife to walk everywhere, even in the cold weather.
I plan to always stay at the Palomar when vacationing to Chicago.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear summertraveler71,

Thank you, once again, for writing a very kind review from your annual girls' weekend trip here in Chicago! We are so happy to see when our guests come back for such special events with their families and friends, and we are grateful for your positive reviews and recommendations. All of your comments are shared with our team and a special thank you from Bobby and Jared for mentioning your interactions with them during your stay. We look forward to next year's visit - and anytime in between! Have a wonderful holiday season!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Was in Chicago for my spouse's birthday bash. The Palomar is a very good hotel on many fronts. Check in was easy and friendly, they honored all my specific requests, and service was always with a smile. Typical Kimpton funky interior, and clean and cosy. My room in fact was a bit on the tiny side but I I could live with that given the rock bottom price I got. No weird chemical or other smells. Good toiletries and all around nice. Pretty good gym and attractive pool area on the 17th floor. Ate breakfast at the restaurant one morning, the menu is more original and interesting than your typical Marriott or Hilton brands, athough the chicken and waffles fell a little flat. Nevertheless, the coffee was good and service attentive. They also offer free coffee in the lounge area mornings along with wine in the evenings- the lounge has a nice big gas fireplace that was just perfect for the cold snowy weather we had that weekend. This is where the Palomar staff really helped out: my return flight to Washington was cancelled due to winter storm Dion and the Palomar front desk extended my stay at the same rate another night with no hassle. Downtown Chicago isn't a bad place to be stranded by the airlines, lots going on, great restaurants, and all kinds of fun things to do. Plus the Palomar isn't a bad place to be stranded either (my heart goes out to all those folks who were sleeping in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport and elsewhere that weekend). I would stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as there is a small amount of street noise. Depends on how sensitive you are to...
1  Thank Lady911Driver

Dear yastreb,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent visit and I am happy to hear that you and your spouse enjoyed your visit and would recommend our hotel. Glad to hear that we were able to assist when your travel plans were halted due to the storm. We certainly understand how stressful such situations can be and try to accommodate whenever possible. I also thank you for sharing your suggestions and critiques as they are always welcomed and appreciated as opportunities for us to improve. I do hope to see you both again in the future and I wish you a happy and safe holiday season!

Kindly,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Clean, quiet, comfortable rooms.

Free good coffee in the morning, usually something like hot chocolate or cider in the afternoon, and complimentary wine happy hour. When we were there they also had hot cider with "vanilla infused whisky" for the early evening. A nice touch, though they tend to run out of everything early.

The bar has lots of hard surfaces and is crowded on weekend evenings - forget it if you are looking for a quiet nightcap.

Location is wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce J
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Bruce J,

Thank you for your review and your kind words regarding our coffee and winter beverage services, as well as your satisfaction and comfort in your guest room. I appreciate the note on our running low on our hot cider and spirits - we can/will definitely step this up so that this no longer occurs. Sable can certainly get crowded on the weekends as it is a very popular restaurant and lounge here in the city. Of course we would always love for our guests to have a nightcap here with us, but please know that we can always recommend some quieter locales if Sable is a bit energetic and crowded for your liking. Please have a happy and healthy holiday season and we hope to see you again in the new year!