“One of the few hotels I would stay at again without second thought”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“One of the few hotels I would stay at again without second thought”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have high standards and wasn't sure what to expect when we chose to stay at a "boutique" hotel. However, they have good reviews and we got the room at a nice discount/promotion they had at the time. I should *not* have worried! Room (standard 2 queen bed) was as expected- clean, nice decor, average size for being in a major city; we had enough space for 2 adults and a 5 year old. We had a decent city view. Pool was warm and clean with an excellent view of the city since it is located on 17th floor. Location is perfect- the red line is literally around the corner and the hotel is within walking distance to restaurants and shops. The real highlight was the staff; service was beyond excellent! Our son celebrated his birthday over our trip (that and Spring Break were the reasons we went to Chicago) and we mentioned it to the front desk. Later that night, they brought him 2 bottles of Goose Island root beer, some snacks, and coloring activities. We could have had a goldfish in our room, too, but we declined since we were out all day on most of the days we were there. We also received a complimentary bottle of red wine "just because." Complimentary coffee, water, and juices are served all day in the lobby with wine hour nightly. Overall, I will stay here again next time I am visiting Chicago.

Room Tip: Higher is better to avoid street noise. Avoid the 17th floor- that's where the pool and fitness...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear abbellire,

Thank you so much for taking a chance on us and it is great to hear that you were not disappointed! Wonderful to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy our services and your kind comments about our staff are very much appreciated. We hope to see you again later this year for your son's next birthday, or anytime in between!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at the Palomar Chicago. Our 2 adjoining rooms were comfortable and had a great view. I had a great Sunday morning with good coffee and the NY Times in the lounge. Excellent service and a good value as we'll - we will be back!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear Rolland S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here with the Trip Advisor community. Wonderful to know that you had a great visit and that your room accommodations were exactly right for you and your family. I must also mention that your Sunday morning with fresh coffee and the NY Times is a great way to go! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chicago Palomar.

Yorktown, Indiana
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed here twice and will return in future. They just do it right! Very clean. Friendly staff. Nice rooms. Big bathrooms. It all just works, and works well! And they are more than willing to accept your pets!! (Have stayed here once with our pugs).

• Stayed January 2014
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear ahornaday,

Your wonderful review and five star rating are very much appreciated! Glad to hear that you have had two great stays with us and that you plan to return. We look forward to it and your pugs are ALWAYS welcome!

Northampton
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

As first time visitors to Chicago we relied heavily on the recommendations of others on trip adviser and we were not let down. The hotel Palomar is well located, well decorated and employs exemplary staff; I doubt we could have found better. We were delayed by two days because of the weather (our flight was cancelled) and the hotel was flexible with us allowing us to amend out booking at the last minute without charge.

I do have three minor "gripes" which are worth mentioning but not worth being reflective in the score I have given this hotel -
1. Rooms need to have decent toilet paper. Currently Palomar use really cheap toilet paper.
2. The pool needs to be heated. We tried to use it. It it was too cold!
3. Check the rate before you arrive. We booked at $179 per night but they'd any we checked in the rate had gone down to $111. If necessary cancel and rebook or chat with the front desk before checking in to save yourself some money!

Overall would definitely recommend this hotel though.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear charding81,

Thank you so much for your detailed and very kind comments here. We appreciate your feedback tremendously and I thank you for sharing all with the Trip Advisor Community. Allow me to say that your "gripes" are anything but! We rely on such feedback and critique in order to improve and I thank you for sharing. One note on our pool, though - it actually is heated, but perhaps was a bit under temperature when you were here - something that we can certainly look into with our engineering team to ensure that all is in working order. I do thank you for your recommendations and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Best regards,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The trending reviews on the Palomar are correct. Its our first time at this property and we were very satisfied. We stayed there over New Years and found the hotel and its staff very welcoming. I've stayed in many Kimpton Hotels as a In Touch member and I found this property to be one of the best. The staff were consistantly helpful, cheerful and professional. (When was the last time you saw a doorman run to open the door?) I was sick on NY Eve and ordered room service. It was quick and delicious. Hands down one of the best burgers I've had and I called the chef to tell him!
Location is perfect and Eataly is just around the corner. What else could you ask for?

Room Tip: Higher floor is preferred as street noise (sirens) can disturb you at times.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RFBoston,

Glad to hear you chose to stay with us for the NYE holiday, but sad to hear you were under the weather that evening! I certainly hope that did not ruin your weekend. Thank you for your kind comments about your experience with us and our team. Great to hear that you are a Kimpton fan and we hope to see you again soon here in Chicago.

Safe travels in 2014 and Happy New Year!

Platte City, Missouri
Reviewed 11 January 2014

If your planning to visit downtown Chicago the Palomar Hotel is an excellent place to stay. It's close to great restaurants, shopping, and transportation. The staff were all extremely polite and professional throughout my entire stay. When I asked for recommendations on where to eat or things to do they guided me to some of the best places in Chicago. Overall the Palomar offered a great experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear GermanyTwinsFan,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and comments about your stay with us this past fall. It is great to know that you had a nice visit and were treated well by our team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I've stayed in Chicago before but never here. I was a bit skeptical since I've visited a lot of nice hotels here before with all the great reviews I thought I'd try it out. The minute you walk in the service here is unbeatable. The decorations and cleanliness of this hotel shows the amazing quality they work for. The location is unbeatable, one block from the metro a ton of restaurants and right next to magnificent mile. The hotel even has a free wine hour in the lobby! I had a few special request as I was celebrating a special occasion and the hotel went above and beyond to make sure I had a special stay. I haven't even left yet and had to write a review! I will never stay anywhere else in Chicago again! Also the views from the hotel rooms are AMAZING and the pool on the top floor surrounded by floor to ceiling windows couldn't be prettier great place to relax and take in the entire city skyline. No wonder this hotel has such great reviews, we'll done!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Erin B
Dear Erin B,

I cannot thank you enough for such a generous and kind review of your recent stay with us! We are so glad to hear that you will now make the Palomar Chicago your home away from home when you are in town. Thank you for giving us a try and we certainly appreciate your five star rating and recommendations. We look forward to your next visit!