“Oasis”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lincoln, Illinois
“Oasis”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Finally, a nice, reliable, upscale, modern, well run hotel in the Loop that isn't exorbitantly expensive. Nice lobby, helpful staff, comfortable rooms, great food from the restaurant on site. Everything works the way it should. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear cyasukot,

Thank you so much for sharing your review here, and I am glad to hear that you were truly impressed and comfortable with our hotel and services. We certainly know that there are many hotel options for our guests, and we very much appreciate your choice to stay with us for your next visit to Chicago.

Very kind regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. Could not fault this hotel even if I tried to. From the staff to the hotel rooms itself, this hotel is top notch. For the price i paid (US $139) per night, this hotel couldn't offer no more. I would highly recommend the bar and restaurant.

Pro's: location, room size and quality, friendly staff
Con's: nothing!

Stayed February 2014
Dear jeanpaul6150,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Palomar Chicago. We appreciate your high praise and 5 star rating very much. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and recommendations and we look forward to your return visit!

Safe travels,

Miami, FL
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent a week in Chicago and thanks to the reviews I read on this site we selected this hotel as our base for touring and our high expectations were fulfilled.

The location was perfect and the staff was as impressive as the quality of the accomodations.
Having read about the superstar concierge, Bobby, I searched him out and was amazed by the quality of his service and the breadth of his knowledge about the amenities of the city. Not only did he secure a reservation at the highly acclaimed restaurant "The Girl and the Goat" he purchased a book by the head chef and personalized it for us, what a showman.

Every staffer was willing to do whatever was necessary to make our stay perfect and the front door manager, Bobby, was a delight, helpful and a pleasure to engage.

There is no other place in Chicago we will ever stay having been so spoiled at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Michael F,

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your review here with the Trip Advisor community. Your kind words and generous comments are so much appreciated - and I'd like to say a separate "thank you" on behalf of Bobby Gonzalez, for your high praise and remarks about his assistance and service levels. He is absolutely one of our best ambassadors, and we, and he, are very grateful for your feedback. We look forward to your return and I wish you safe travels, always.

Very best,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

What a pleasant surprise! We found this randomly and LOVED it. The service is just amazing -- the rooms are beautiful and there is free Wifi. The best part was the coffee in the morning - really nice options and a pretty sweet hot chocolate spread with toppings :) Love the little touches. We will be staying at Kimpton properties whenever possible!

Location - cannot beat it. Plenty nearby to eat and explore.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear ShivG81,

Thank you so much for giving us a try here at the Palomar Chicago - as well as offering such a kind review. I am glad to know that you are now a fan and willing to try our other Kimpton hotels as well as return back here the next time you are in town. Please know that you are always welcome and we look forward to your next visit. From Chicago to your beautiful city of Seattle, we wish you all the best!

Oswego, Illinois
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We've stayed at this property a few times for other weekend "staycations" in Chicago. Since we decided to come back down this weekend, I've literally spent 3 days trying to decide if we should stay here again or go to one of the other big guys. I'm Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Platinum, yet I can't tear myself away from this Kimpton property no matter how hard I try.

Both Marriott and Starwood have some better "deals" for the weekend, but I want to be sure of consistency of the service. There are also better chances of being upgrade as an Inner Circle member of InTouch (which is always desired). You can't beat the location and honestly it is an overall good experience. Being able to bring your dog is also a huge thing for us.

My only complaint would be the pool. The room is so inviting and warm, yet when the water is a bit on the chilly side. It takes some time to get used too.

See you guys Saturday!

P.S . warm up the pool a little :)

Room Tip: Sable has some great food, but it isn't a family restaurant (our daughter didn't eat anythin...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Norm P
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Hi Norm P,

Thank you so much for sharing your details and thought-process here on choosing to stay at, and then return to our hotel. We are glad to hear you made the decision to do so! We absolutely understand that there are a number of hotel brands out there with some great loyalty programs but we try to make our Kimpton InTouch/Inner Circle program the most attractive and rewarding. As you mentioned, we do our best to upgrade and personalize our Inner Circle guests in every possible instance. I just want to mention and apologize about your note on the pool water. We, unfortunately do not have much option for increase in warmth as the temperature range is mandated by the health department. I am grateful to know that this won't stop you from returning and we hope you will continue to enjoy your visits. We are already looking forward to youur next staycation and I thank you, sincerely, for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels.

Very kind regards,

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed here about a week ago for a work-related event. I have stayed in other Kimpton hotels in Chicago and have very much enjoyed them, so I never ventured to the Palomar but I'm glad I finally did! This hotel has a very sophisticated vibe, but with all the "fun" everyone who knows Kimpton has come to expect. The room was quiet and comfortable. The lounge area is relaxing and has a serene feel to it, but it really livens up at wine hour (where delicious flatbreads were also served). The Sable Bar and Restaurant was nice, with an impressive wine selection, though I was surprised to learn that they are not open for lunch on Thursdays - I was looking forward to a particular dish!! Location is great - in the River North area close to lots of good dining and shopping. (Note to all jazz lovers - the Jazz Record Mart is right across the street). On top of everything else, I got a great rate- so this was value on top of value on top of value! I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors means quieter rooms. I had a corner room on the 16th floor, which was very nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear parismuse,

Thank you for your wonderful review and I'm glad to hear that your company event brought you to the Palomar for this visit! I love to hear that you are a Kimpton fan, overall, and it definitely sounds like you know what we're all about and that you embrace all that we offer. Thank you for your kind praise of Sable Kitchen & Bar as well as I know they are very appreciative. We look forward to your next visit to Chicago, and we certainly hope you will choose to stay here with us - or at least keep it in the Kimpton family once again!