“Great Chicago Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #14 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in March (Spring Break). Checked into a suite and was not disappointed. Very close to all of the Michigan Ave shops and easy access to public transportation. Check in was very smooth and "Sarah" at the front desk did a great job of representing this hotel.

Only complaint (?) I would have is the bathroom door in the suite was a sliding, pocket door. It did not have a lock. Nothing major, just a small item.

Didn't have a chance to check out the "wine hour" but seems like a nice idea, especially if you are traveling for business and need to take a moment to unwind.

The kids used the pool and it was adequate. Pretty small but very few users at mid day when they went swimming. They said the crowd picked up in the evening.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TGed2012
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear TGed2012,

Thank you for your kind review and detailed comments from your recent Spring Break stay. Very nice of you to call out Sara as well and I am glad to hear that you and your family had a nice vist. We do hope to see you again soon!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed at the Palomar before and see no reason to stay at any other hotel in Chicago. Every staff member is excellent. The concierges, Mark and Bobby, are helpful (sushi reservations!), knowledgeable (directions and maps!), and completely capable of making one's hotel stay (and Chicago adventures) quite enjoyable! We love the one bedroom suites and plan to move in someday... I wish. Beautiful design, bathrooms and space to relax and enjoy. The front desk staff are delightful, there is hot, delicious coffee (really, some hotels put out "coffee" in the morning and add to the misery...) in the lobby, and the Sable bar just rocks (they make a delish Aviation cocktail)! So much to love. We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear av01bps,

Thank you very much for your kind comments here and by all means, you are welcome to move in! Mark and Bobby send their gratitude for mentioning them in your review - and I must agree that they are two of our best! Great also to hear that you enjoyed our coffee as well as the unique and wonderful cocktails at Sable Bar. Please come back and see us the next time you are down in Chicago - and until then, take care.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed her for one night this past weekend. I am a huge fan of the Kimpton Hotel line, and the Palomar Chicago did not disappoint. Valet service, while pricey (as is all parking in The Loop), was well organized. The valet drivers were very professional. Check-in was equally flawless.

The esthetics of the hotel are phenomenal. The 'living room-like' lobby was quite large, well-lit and comfy. Our room was ultra-clean and quite large. All finishes were high-end and well-chosen.

We also had brunch the next day in the hotel's restaurant, Sable Kitchen, and the food and service were both excellent.

If you're looking for a special place to spend a romantic evening, The Palomar definitely delivers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear glenellynguy,

It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful, romantic evening here at the Hotel Palomar Chicago! It is always a great feeling for us to read such positive comments and details of a pleasant and memorable stay such as those in your review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back here to the hotel as well as Sable Kitchen for your next stay downtown!

Enjoy our (overdue!) Spring season!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Let me start by saying the hotel is in a great location. The rooms are relatively spacious and clean. But we had some issues with the front desk staff. They were all perfectly nice and pleasant, but they just couldn't get things right. My wife is frequent business traveler and often stays at Kimpton Hotels. As such, when we checked in, they offered us an "upgrade." Our "upgrade" was room on the floor with the conference rooms (a low level floor) that was fitted to be wheelchair accessible. That was fine although neither my wife nor I have any physical disabilities. More importantly, there was nothing about the room that I would consider an "upgrade." But lest you think I am just a chronic complainer, let me tell you about our other issues. I checked in before my wife and I secured our room with my credit card. Since my wife gets additional points on her card, I told the front desk that she would be replacing my card with hers when she checked in. She did so. But the front desk somehow failed to make the change. The first night, the charges appeared on my card. No worries, I thought. It was simply a hold placed against my card and the final charges would be presented against my wife's card. Alas, on the second night (of three), new charges again appeared on my card. We went to the front desk and they apologized and told us they would fix the problem. To make up for this inconvenience, the gentleman at the front desk offered us two additional ten-dollar coupons to be used at the hotel bar. When we checked out after the third night, we were told by a new front desk agent that we were only entitled to use on of the three coupon cards we had been given as only one was allowed per stay. This was both counter to what the first front desk agent had told us and also insulting that they wouldn't simply honor $20 worth of coupon discounts when we had just spent several hundred dollars at their hotel. This new agent "checked with her manager" and ultimately credited our bill for the coupon discount, but not until we had to "plead our case". And finally, because we were on the floor with the conference rooms, we did not have control of our room's thermostat. This was not told to us at the outset and we twice complained about it and twice were told they would fix the problem. Only on the third complaint did we finally meet the building engineer (who was perfectly pleasant) who explained to us the fact that we could not control our room's temperature because our room's system was tied to that of the conference rooms. We were well into our stay by that point. So, in summary, the room was fine (other than the lack of thermostat control) but not the promised upgrade. And we had three days in Chicago. We spent entirely too much of our precious time dealing with issues with the hotel that should not have required our attention.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alex_B_in_DC

Dear Alex_B_in_DC,

Please allow me to apologize again for the challenges you experienced during your recent stay. If you recall, I (Adam Gurgiolo) am the one you spoke with on the morning of the final night of your stay, where we discovered the multiple, and one incorrect, authorizations on your credit card. As I explained at the time, this occurred due to the fact that you had three separate reservations, chained together, for this three night stay - which unfortunately caused us to make the mistake on one of the mornings to incorrectly authorize your credit card rather than your wife's, as yours was the original credit card received upon arrival. I know that this caused quite a hassle for you both and unnecessary time spent with our team to resolve, and I am certainly sorry for this as well. Unfortunately, these errors sometimes do occur, especially in uncommon situations such as this, with the multiple reservation scenarios, in one stay. Certainly a learning point for us, to avoid such issues in the future, with this same situation. With these credit card challenges, as well as the thermostat issues in your particular room, if you recall, we did adjust $50 from your charges to help rectify the situation, as well as the additional mini-bar adjustment cards offered. I humbly apologize for the resistance you were given when checking out - as these additional vouchers were not communicated properly after we spoke. Overall, I am glad to know you were happy with your room and our hotel location, but I am truly sorry that you left us with these negative memories. If you would, please feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel so that we can discuss anything further that I may do to help resolve.

I wish you both a wonderful season and I hope to hear from you soon.

Very kind regards,

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at the Palomar Chicago hotel for two weeks in celebration of my 49th birthday. I had a marvelous time! The room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel is a real gem. It's conveniently located to all the metro lines and in a very nice area of town.

All of the staff members were friendly, professional and knowledgable. Their kindness was an additional bonus to a lovely trip. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Akua48

Dear Akua48,

Happy 49th birthday to you! We are happy to know you spent it in Chicago and had a wonderful time here at the Palomar. Thank you for your kind words and five star rating and we certainly hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I travel to Chicago frequently on business, and the Palomar is my first choice when the rates are reasonable (generally, when it's cold there). I stayed in a north-facing upper floor room, and it was one of the quietest and most comfortable rooms I have ever experienced. The bed and bedding are fantastic, the blackout drapes are completely effective, and the HVAC is whisper-silent. The Palomar also has the interesting, quirky styling and friendliness typical of Kimpton hotels. Plus the Sable bar is one of the best in the city for professionally-mixed cocktails. And the location of this hotel is perfect - right in the middle of everything including restaurants, bars, the subway. Short walk to Michigan Avenue and a bit longer to the Loop.

I don't write that many reviews and really shouldn't be making this place more popular, but it's a gem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PeepOhioTraveler

Dear PeepOhioTraveler,

Thank you so much for your review and five star rating. I understand you do not write many, as you mentioned, so we really appreciate you doing so here! Great to hear that you were comfortable in your room and that our bedding and guest room atmosphere was to your liking. Thanks also for mentioning Sable Bar with their fantastic cocktails. We hope your next visit with us is as enjoyable, and more...

Have a wonderful Spring season,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Girlfriend and I stayed for a night out in the city. Wished we had more time to spend in the room now! Beds and pillows were top of the line. Their on-site restaraunt was amazing. Waiters knew the menu thoroughly, and actually just left it up to him to bring us out something of his choice. Also brought me a all u need to make birthday cupcake mix in a nice little presented box with a signed card. Small things like that go a long way for me at least. Made for a unforgettable birthday. Have also looked into other kimpton hotels in other cities now that I am in my upper 20's and traveling more on my own now.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong