“Nice place!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean, modern feel, good service. Great food and drink. Overall good experience. The bartenders are true artist. I was here on business and would love to come back for a weekend get away. Great location....

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank 536miken536
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear 536miken536,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments here on your recent visit and mentioning our very hard working and talented bartenders at Sable. They truly are artists, as you stated! We do hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here on May 2. We were in the city to celebrate my birthday, and I wanted to see Eataly, and this hotel was very close so we could walk there. We had recently stayed at another Kimpton property, the Allegro, which was a wonderful experience. This hotel surpassed by their service! People at the front desk wished me a happy birthday and smiled, every time we passed by! And they called me by name; now that sure makes a person feel special. I couldn't believe they remembered our names, even the next morning. Even the doorman asked us how our stay was and if we enjoyed Eataly (we did)! When we returned to our room, there was even a small box of divine chocolates in our room, with a note from the staff, wishing me a happy birthday. Unbelievable.

We had a room with a floor to ceiling window. My ONLY negative on this room was that the window was dirty. I do know, though, that it was a brutal winter, and they probably haven't had the window washers out yet. Not much of a view, but then when the lights come on at night, it's always cool.

The room had TWO comfy chairs and an ottoman (I love to put my feet up), and the bed was super comfy. I totally loved the sheets; I checked the name to see if I might purchase them: Frette. I looked them up; it's an Italian company, and the sheets are nearly $1000 for a set!!!! Guess I won't be getting them after all. The bathroom had plenty of counter space and a nice feature was a dimmer switch (all lights had dimmers, btw), so you could turn the lighting to low at night and still find the bathroom (good for us older folks who frequent the BR during the night). TV was large, and the whole desk area and tv surround were very nice. The 5:00 complimentary wine hour was very pleasant (Chilean wine--quite good). We sipped our wine in the outside lounge which was made tolerable by heat lamps.

We had drinks at the bar; I just had to have a froo-froo drink since they have a reputation for great cocktails. Expensive, but worth it since it was unusual (and good). Breakfast at their restaurant was beyond my expectations. There were all kinds of small plates to experiment with different flavors, but we requested traditional eggs and bacon. The flavor was anything but traditional; a great way to end our stay.

I was very much impressed with this hotel and highly recommend it. I know we will stay here again! Its location is great, also; close to many great restaurants and shopping.

2  Thank purplehatartist
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear purplehatartist,

I must say, this is one of the kindest and most satisfying reviews that I have ever read. I cannot thank you enough for sharing as it sounds as though you truly enjoyed your visit with us and had such a wonderful birthday celebration, of which we were able to be a small part. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and all of your praise, detail, and recommendations are very much appreciated. Please enjoy this (long-overdue) Spring season!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Palomar is conveniently located on State and Grand. My husband I like to walk and we easily walked to the Art Institute, Field Museum, and in the other direction to the shops on North Michigan Avenue. The hotel restaurant, Sable, has a variety of wonderful options, including small plates. Chef Heather Terhune is creative without getting too out there. The bar gets rave reviews though we didn't try a drink. We recommend going to Eataly a block or two away, buying some of the amazing offerings there, and taking your picnic up to the 17th floor patio for a memorable picnic. And if you finish your bottle of wine, maybe a nap! Refresh yourself afterwards with a swim in the 17th floor indoor pool. Quite small, but didn't seem to be used too often. And don't miss the free 5-6 p.m. wine reception in the lobby. such a nice touch.

Room Tip: if you ask for the 17th floor, you will have easy access to the wonderful patio.
1  Thank irishiiis

Dear Irishiiis,

Excellent review, for which we are very thankful! Your praise and detailing of your visit are wonderful to read and I love your mention of our 17th floor pool and terrace. Thank you for also mentioning Chef Heather and the always popular Sable Kitchen. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for a business trip and absolutely loved it. The staff was very friendly, the room was beautiful, and it is in a perfect location. Not to mention, it has an awesome bar attached to it and free wine in the lobby for happy hour. I am a Kimpton member and love these hotels. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Danielle B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and feedback from your November visit. Love to hear that you enjoyed everything we have to offer and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Very best,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got a great last minute rate for the Palomar thanks to our Kimpton rewards membership, which includes free Wi-Fi. When there was a mixup with our reservation for two rooms, the front desk staff honored the rate I remembered reserving, and also upgraded each of us to an amazing suite. The front desk staff provided impeccable assistance throughout our stay, and we enjoyed the wine hour. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable; great location within walking distance to everything. We dined in Sable, which was outstanding as well. The only negative was the cost of parking, but that's to be expected when staying in the city. I would HIGHLY recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyTraveler016

Dear HappyTraveler016,

I think your username says it all! Wonderful to know that you were happy with our hotel and services and that you and your family had a wonderful visit! Thank you for sharing your comments here and thank you for your recommendations of both our hotel and Sable Kitchen. We appreciate the feedback and your five star rating.

Have a terrific Spring/Summer season,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for 4 nights on our first visit to Chicago. The Palomar location was excellent - near downtown and in a good area for other attractions and restaurants. The room was extremely comfortable and the service excellent.

1  Thank Michael F

Dear Michael F,

Thank you for sharing your comments and praise regarding your recent stay with us. We do appreciate the feedback and I thank you very kindly for your business.

Have a wonderful Spring/Summer season,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This had the potential to be a 4 star review, however the service from the chaps at the front desk have earned it a deserved fifth star. Special mention to Mark K who helped us out with the City Pass and gave us great assistance at the start of our trip. Mention also must go to Ben who arranged that we were able to move to a corner room, once the wedding parties (there were 3 of them on the day we arrived!!) As I was travelling with our toddler son who still naps during the day, I spent a lot more time in the room than I otherwise would have - so it made a world of difference having a room with a nice view; I highly recommend the corner room. I thought the room service breakfasts were overpriced for what they were... On the flip side the happy hour downstairs was brilliant and set us up nicely for the evenings ahead. You are spoilt for choice with restaurants in the area - My favourite restaurant for the the trip was RPM (great Italian). We also enjoyed Sunda (the new Asian restaurant). Both not more than a couple of blocks away from the hotel.The Purple pig looked good too, but we didnt eat there. The other restaurants we ate at were Bandera, Benny's Chop House and the at the bottom of the Tribune tower - all highly recommended too. Our three year old loved the Zoo, the Aquarium but the highlight for him was the Science museum. We enjoyed the river boat 'Architecture' tour and shopping on the Magnificent mile. Would love to come back to Chicago and if we do, the Palomar would be right up there for a return visit as the location was perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Buggins
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Buggins,

Wow! You truly had the quintessential Chicago visit - and I love that we were able to be your base during your trip! Thank you for mentioning Mark and Ben in your review, as two of our team members that took special care of you and your family to help make for a great visit. Your detailed comments, praise, and recommendations here are very well-received and appreciated, and we certainly do hope to have you again as our guests, for a future visit to Chicago.

Best regards,